Layla1712
Badges: 11
Rep:
? You'll earn badges for being active around the site. Rep gems come when your posts are rated by other community members.
Report Thread starter 1 month ago
Hi there,
I want to apply to top universities for politics and international relations and am thinking of applying to Durham, Bath and UCL (European political and social studies) and idk about the other two options.

I am currently predicted A*A*A in Politics, History and Economics and so in terms of A-level entry requirements, I am fine as I meet the criteria…

I have quite bad GCSE grades however as my exams were cancelled and my school that I went to for GCSEs was below the national average with the results it got.

History-> 7 (9 in mock)
French-> 7 (8 in mock)
Science-> 7/6 (9/8 in mock)
Spanish-> 6 (8 in mock)
Maths-> 6 (8 in mock)
English literature-> 6 ( 3 in mock)
English language-> 6 (7 in mock)
PE-> 5 (7 in mock)

Considering I had no control over my teacher assessment grades given, do u think unis will be more lenient this year with applications and even if they are not, do I have a chance of getting into a top uni like Durham?
McGinger
Badges: 17
Rep:
? You'll earn badges for being active around the site. Rep gems come when your posts are rated by other community members.
Report 1 month ago
As long as you meet any specific GCSE requirements (typically Maths and English, and for most Soc Sci courses just English), dont worry. Unis are far more interested in your A level etc predictions and PS than your GCSE profile. Apply.
Muttley79
Badges: 20
Rep:
Report 1 month ago
(Original post by Layla1712)
Hi there,
I want to apply to top universities for politics and international relations and am thinking of applying to Durham, Bath and UCL (European political and social studies) and idk about the other two options.

I am currently predicted A*A*A in Politics, History and Economics and so in terms of A-level entry requirements, I am fine as I meet the criteria…

I have quite bad GCSE grades however as my exams were cancelled and my school that I went to for GCSEs was below the national average with the results it got.

History-> 7 (9 in mock)
French-> 7 (8 in mock)
Spanish-> 6 (8 in mock)
Maths-> 6 (8 in mock)
PE-> 5 (7 in mock)

Considering I had no control over my teacher assessment grades given, do u think unis will be more lenient this year with applications and even if they are not, do I have a chance of getting into a top uni like Durham?
You would have got your TAGs - there were no adjustments for the school ..

Why didn't you appeal?
Layla1712
Rep:
(Original post by Muttley79)
You would have got your TAGs - there were no adjustments for the school ..

Why didn't you appeal?
I tried to but my school wouldn't let me and then they came to the conclusion that I could just "re-sit" my exams in November of 2020 which I was not prepared to do.

The school said it was based of last years cohort to stay align with the grades given out and because last year's year 11 at my previous school did not do to great, my year was impacted apparently
Muttley79
Rep:
Report 1 month ago
I tried to but my school wouldn't let me and then they came to the conclusion that I could just "re-sit" my exams in November of 2020 which I was not prepared to do.

The school said it was based of last years cohort to stay align with the grades given out and because last year's year 11 at my previous school did not do to great, my year was impacted apparently
How could they 'not let you appeal'? Appeals were offered ...

TAGs weren't linked to previous cohorts ...that requirement was removed.

You'll need to apply to unis where you meet the GCSE grades required.
McGinger
Badges: 17
Rep:
Report 1 month ago
Considering I had no control over my teacher assessment grades given
But you did have control over the amount of study and effort you put it.
Are you just making excuses here - be honest with yourself.
Layla1712
Rep:
How could they 'not let you appeal'? Appeals were offered ...

TAGs weren't linked to previous cohorts ...that requirement was removed.

You'll need to apply to unis where you meet the GCSE grades required.
They wouldn’t let me appeal, believe me I tried and the reason for my low grades was explained to me that they had to say in ligne with the previous years grades so!?
Layla1712
Rep:
(Original post by McGinger)
But you did have control over the amount of study and effort you put it.
Are you just making excuses here - be honest with yourself.
On thé lead up to my mocks I was doing 4 hours of revision a day :/
Layla1712
Rep:
(Original post by McGinger)
As long as you meet any specific GCSE requirements (typically Maths and English, and for most Soc Sci courses just English), dont worry. Unis are far more interested in your A level etc predictions and PS than your GCSE profile. Apply.
Thank you!!!
PinkMobilePhone
Badges: 22
Rep:
Report 1 month ago
1) You should have appealed
2) 7s and 6s aren't really what I'd call bad anyway
3) Unis are unlikely to care about your GCSE grades
Layla1712
Rep:
(Original post by PinkMobilePhone)
1) You should have appealed
2) 7s and 6s aren't really what I'd call bad anyway
3) Unis are unlikely to care about your GCSE grades
Thank you so much, I’m really tempted to ask one of my teachers to bring it up within my application but then again I go to a new school now, so don’t know if my teachers would do it
brjf
Badges: 18
Rep:
Report 1 month ago
Hi there,

History-> 7 (9 in mock)
French-> 7 (8 in mock)
Spanish-> 6 (8 in mock)
Maths-> 6 (8 in mock)
PE-> 5 (7 in mock)

If it’s any consolation I got worse grades than this at GCSEs and I’m currently studying politics at Exeter
Muttley79
Rep:
Report 1 month ago
Thank you so much, I’m really tempted to ask one of my teachers to bring it up within my application but then again I go to a new school now, so don’t know if my teachers would do it
I wouldn't because it does not show you in a good light. If your school was 'weak' then those GCSEs are viewed in that light ....
random_matt
Rep:
Report 1 month ago
Yes, if you are a mature student.
Holamisamigos213
Badges: 13
Rep:
Report 1 month ago
with all due respect i see all these posts on tsr where they are like are these gcses good enough or are these a levels good enough when its so obvious they are. how are they bad gcses you got As and Bs you have great gcses, My good friend is studying at oxford with 4s,3s and2s, and it looks like you have much higher than 4s,3s and 2s.
Layla1712
Rep:
(Original post by brjf)
If it’s any consolation I got worse grades than this at GCSEs and I’m currently studying politics at Exeter
That’s amazing and has given me a little bit more confidence in applying to a top uni like Exeter. How r u finding Exeter??
Layla1712
Rep:
I wouldn't because it does not show you in a good light. If your school was 'weak' then those GCSEs are viewed in that light ....
I can’t lie this is really useful! Thank you so much. I thought it would just make my application less competitive as I’m making excuses for those gcse grades
Layla1712
Rep:
(Original post by Holamisamigos213)
with all due respect i see all these posts on tsr where they are like are these gcses good enough or are these a levels good enough when its so obvious they are. how are they bad gcses you got As and Bs you have great gcses, My good friend is studying at oxford with 4s,3s and2s, and it looks like you have much higher than 4s,3s and 2s.
I sound so conceited but I was wondering just because all my mates at my new school got all 8s and 9s and want to apply for the same unis as me and so as someone who didn’t get any A*s, I was and still am really unsure as to where to apply.

Also I sound like I’m living under a rock but I didn’t know that was humanly possible getting into Oxford with those kinds of GCSEs???
Layla1712
Rep:
(Original post by random_matt)
Yes, if you are a mature student.
Does that mean I should apply next year when I have already got my A-levels??
Holamisamigos213
Badges: 13
Rep:
Report 1 month ago
I sound so conceited but I was wondering just because all my mates at my new school got all 8s and 9s and want to apply for the same unis as me and so as someone who didn’t get any A*s, I was and still am really unsure as to where to apply.

Also I sound like I’m living under a rock but I didn’t know that was humanly possible getting into Oxford with those kinds of GCSEs???
its rare. like really rare but possible.
X

Quick Reply

Attached files
Write a reply...
Back
to top
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

How would you describe the quality of the digital skills you're taught at school?

Excellent (17)
9.09%
Okay (56)
29.95%
A bit lacking (64)
34.22%
Not good at all (50)
26.74%

Watched Threads