The Student Room Group

Pursuing/Deciding Between My Two Passions In Life

Hi! I already posted this in the media, film and journalism section, but I think I might find some people with more knowledge/advice over here.

Basically, I love acting, I got a 9 in GCSE drama, and I'm now on track for an A* at Alevel. I also study English lit/lang and Film. For years my dream was to act and/or direct, studying for that at uni. I even had ambitions of studying in New York. When I began sixth form I met someone who kinda convinced me (another drama student now applying for conservatoires) that I shouldn't try to go for acting unless I'm 100% committed to it. I guess at that point I really wasn't as confident as I am now, and I really trusted her, so I leant into the directing. The problem was, without the prospect of also acting, I think the idea just fell a bit flat. I turned to my other passion in life- Motorsport. I know I can get into a really good uni course for this, and I can make that a successful career, and I'd love that- and I thought that because I love that equally as much as I love my drama and acting, I would be fine just switching over.
Yeah. I'm not.
I really do love acting, and lately it's dawned on me that I would actually love to pursue it, but I have also become very aware of how much I'd love to have a career in journalism. I've started working on that, everyone in my life thinks that's where I'm gonna go, including my teachers because that's what I've been telling them. I now even have some contacts and experience in the Motorsport/journalism industry.
So I can't choose. I really want to do both. I've got experience acting with my local theatre's youth company, who do put on shows that the general public come to see, I've had various roles, from lead to ensemble and worked back stage. But I love movies (hence why I study film), and to be a part of something I love so much, pieces of art that other people can enjoy, would be a dream- so that's where I'd be aiming. I also think I can contribute plenty to both industries and careers, I am a good actor, and I am a good writer (/all that comes with journalism). I can do it. Both are working in the media and are all about communication and stories in someway, so aren't massively different. I adore them both. But I don't know if I can break into either on my own.
My plan is to begin putting myself forward for student films ect now, and through university, and hopefully do a masters in screen acting afterwards, for some level of formal training. If I could I'd do both at once but that's likely not entirely possible.
I am willing to put the time money and work into doing both of my passions at once, but I need to know if that plan is worth doing, if there might be a more helpful alternative or just any advice on the situation. I'm not looking for fame or money (though who can deny that would be a pretty fun side effect), I just want to work on projects that will challenge me and that I will love, and that other people will love.
Sorry this was a long post, but any thoughts or advice would really really be helpful.
Reply 1
Its also worth noting, that I really have no one to guide me in independently pursuing acting, hence why I'd like to have some formal training. If I thought I could make it work Id even consider doing an undergraduate degree/equivalent for drama/acting, but with deadlines closing in for applications and not having thought about it before recently, I have no idea at all about unis for it.
I'm not sure I want to spend another 6 years essentially at school, so I don't think I'd like to do two separate undergraduate courses, but idk. Anything is helpful.
Hi there,

It's great that you've got so many passions in life and feel you could pursue them all successfully. Have you heard of joint honours or double major degrees? I'm currently in my final year studying a joint honours in Spanish and Theatre, because, like you, I was stuck between my 2 interests in life.
It might be worth looking up universities that offer a drama degree jointly with journalism, or English, or Creative Writing. This would allow you to study both to a high level at the same time and leave uni with qualifications in both, without having shut any doors.
Is that the kind of thing you're looking for? Lancaster offers a wide range of joint honours courses but there's lots of other unis like Exeter, Bristol, Leeds, and Royal Holloway - and many more but these are the ones I applied to and so know they do! - that offer joint honours too. Might be worth going through all the courses offered. Just a thought!

- Daisy (Final year student) :smile:
(edited 2 years ago)
Original post by Couttsie
Hi! I already posted this in the media, film and journalism section, but I think I might find some people with more knowledge/advice over here.

Basically, I love acting, I got a 9 in GCSE drama, and I'm now on track for an A* at Alevel. I also study English lit/lang and Film. For years my dream was to act and/or direct, studying for that at uni. I even had ambitions of studying in New York. When I began sixth form I met someone who kinda convinced me (another drama student now applying for conservatoires) that I shouldn't try to go for acting unless I'm 100% committed to it. I guess at that point I really wasn't as confident as I am now, and I really trusted her, so I leant into the directing. The problem was, without the prospect of also acting, I think the idea just fell a bit flat. I turned to my other passion in life- Motorsport. I know I can get into a really good uni course for this, and I can make that a successful career, and I'd love that- and I thought that because I love that equally as much as I love my drama and acting, I would be fine just switching over.
Yeah. I'm not.
I really do love acting, and lately it's dawned on me that I would actually love to pursue it, but I have also become very aware of how much I'd love to have a career in journalism. I've started working on that, everyone in my life thinks that's where I'm gonna go, including my teachers because that's what I've been telling them. I now even have some contacts and experience in the Motorsport/journalism industry.
So I can't choose. I really want to do both. I've got experience acting with my local theatre's youth company, who do put on shows that the general public come to see, I've had various roles, from lead to ensemble and worked back stage. But I love movies (hence why I study film), and to be a part of something I love so much, pieces of art that other people can enjoy, would be a dream- so that's where I'd be aiming. I also think I can contribute plenty to both industries and careers, I am a good actor, and I am a good writer (/all that comes with journalism). I can do it. Both are working in the media and are all about communication and stories in someway, so aren't massively different. I adore them both. But I don't know if I can break into either on my own.
My plan is to begin putting myself forward for student films ect now, and through university, and hopefully do a masters in screen acting afterwards, for some level of formal training. If I could I'd do both at once but that's likely not entirely possible.
I am willing to put the time money and work into doing both of my passions at once, but I need to know if that plan is worth doing, if there might be a more helpful alternative or just any advice on the situation. I'm not looking for fame or money (though who can deny that would be a pretty fun side effect), I just want to work on projects that will challenge me and that I will love, and that other people will love.
Sorry this was a long post, but any thoughts or advice would really really be helpful.

Hi there, :smile:

Both of your interests sound so exciting and it's lovely to see how passionate you are about both.
Like previously mentioned some universities do offer joint honours degrees so that you could combine acting/theatre with something like English or creative writing.

Although it isn't a double joint honours, here at Chichester we offer lots of different acting, theatre and screen acting courses which have various combinations.
For example we have a BA (Hons) Screen Acting & Creative Technologies degree which not only gives you professional actor training and covers everything industry focused like getting agents and auditions, but also allows you to learn about the creative digital departments that make and produce films.
In this course, for students who wish to explore the actor/writer dynamic you can opt to take a number of screenwriting and storytelling modules.
This would let you combine your love for writing and acting in one degree.

I've linked it below in case it's of interest to you.
https://www.chi.ac.uk/acting/acting-courses/ba-hons-screen-acting-creative-technologies

Or you could go the other way and study journalism or some sort of writing/English based degree and then you could join an acting society at uni to give you experience.
Ultimately it's all down to what you want to do and you think you will enjoy the most!

I hope this helps a little bit. Good luck!
If you want some true insights into the world of being an actor, try this podcast episode with actor Rachel Grant. Learn valuable tips and insights into the working world of an actor.

https://inside-entertainment-industry-careers.podbean.com/e/from-nottingham-to-hollywood-actor-rachel-grant/

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending