The Student Room Group

Turn it in help

I'm doing my masters and at my undergraduate university, the never used turn it in. I don't really understand it because I got 47% match overview but I wrote everything in my own words and cited everything. The highest match i got in the breakdown was 4% which was a student paper.

Even my bibliography got plagiarised because apparently other students used the same research papers as me. Also even if I write for example the name of the receptor with the name of the protein it attaches to the name of the receptor and uses words like "because"," and" "or" it got plagiarised.

This was a formative practice paper though
Help
Seek help from the library. 47% is a high score so you are doing something wrong. If you are referencing and using quotations when quoting someone else then you should not have such a high score.
Reply 2
Original post by mike23mike
Seek help from the library. 47% is a high score so you are doing something wrong. If you are referencing and using quotations when quoting someone else then you should not have such a high score.

Hey thanks for replying, the library has a weird online drop-in session on Thursday which I will attend. But can I just ask how is it plagiarism because the names of two proteins together with the word "and" or "because" in the same sentence came up as plagiarism for an article I didn't even use? even "et al" for intext-citations was plagiarised

Also, how can a bibliography be plagiarised similar to a student paper, if a student uses the same article as me and the same referencing style as me, the bibliography reference is going to be the same
You've misunderstood Turnitin. It's purpose is to detect smiliarity not plagiarism, plagiarism needs to be proven, and it can't be because you haven't copied anyone. Reach out to your supervisor for advice
Reply 4
Thank you so much, that makes me more relieved. Because I am having problems with my student finance, and am still a temporary student they still haven't assigned me a tutor, which they said they'll do but still haven't done. But I will definitely speak to the lecturer and the librarian.
Reply 5
It is simply flagging stuff that is commonly used, I.e. article names, oft-used technical terms. It scans loads and loads of papers submitted at loads and loads of universities, commonalities are bound to crop up.

So 47% sounds high, but all it means is the marker will have a quick look to make sure you've cited it all. It'll be fine.
Original post by Anonymous
Hey thanks for replying, the library has a weird online drop-in session on Thursday which I will attend. But can I just ask how is it plagiarism because the names of two proteins together with the word "and" or "because" in the same sentence came up as plagiarism for an article I didn't even use? even "et al" for intext-citations was plagiarised

Also, how can a bibliography be plagiarised similar to a student paper, if a student uses the same article as me and the same referencing style as me, the bibliography reference is going to be the same

Hi, without seeing your paper its hard to comment so its best to seek help from your library.

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending