Graduate entry medicine

Watch
lucylim_
Badges: 2
Rep:
? You'll earn badges for being active around the site. Rep gems come when your posts are rated by other community members.
Report Thread starter 2 months ago
I am a second year Biomedical Science student. I am hoping to apply to graduate entry medicine October 2022. I am looking for any advice/help. I need help deciding which unis to apply to and which are slightly easier to get into - I know none are easy but I will go anywhere but of course can only apply to 4 unis. Also please help on UCAT, BMAT or GAMSAT, I don't know which as all are so different idk which to start preparing for. Any advice would be hugely helpful. I don't think I can sit all 3 as won't be able to prepare for them all properly and focus on my degree. Also struggling to find volunteering due to covid. Can anyone that has recently applied for medicine help? I was thinking about applying for undergraduate medicine as thought the Biomedical Science degree would give me more of an advantage? But didn't realise the lack of funding available.
Admit-One
Badges: 21
Rep:
? You'll earn badges for being active around the site. Rep gems come when your posts are rated by other community members.
Report 2 months ago
Moved your thread to the Medicine subforum where you'll get more informed replies.
lucylim_
Rep:
Hi, I am a second year Biomedical science student. I don't have the best gcses/ a levels. However I am hoping to get a 1st in this degree. I wondered if anyone knows which unis don't really care about gcses for gem if you have a science degree. Can anyone advise from experience for which uni I am more likely to get into as this will implicate whether I need to do UCAT, BMAT or GAMSAT.
Admit-One
Badges: 21
Rep:
Report 2 months ago
I think you've provided a bit more relevant info in your other thread.
micholate9
Badges: 13
Rep:
Report 2 months ago
As far as I'm aware, only King's look at GCSEs for their graduate entry course. You need to look at individual uni's A-level requirements as well.

With regards to GAMSAT, it's a very expensive exam and requires a lot of intensive prep. It's also hard to know what to study, as there is no syllabus as such and there are very few official sample questions available. There are lots of providers who sell expensive courses, but I don't know how they consider themselves experts if ACER themselves are quite secretive about the exam. Consider all of this before deciding if it's worth it!

I think the only uni that asks for BMAT from graduates is Oxford. Unless you're thinking of applying there, it's not worth it.
hungrysalamander
Badges: 19
Rep:
Report 2 months ago
You will need to take one of those exams to get into medicine. GEM usually has a higher UCAT cutoff than undergrad medicine. The list of GAMSAT universities can be found here:
https://gamsat.acer.org/university-a...n/admission-uk
lucylim_
Rep:
(Original post by micholate9)
As far as I'm aware, only King's look at GCSEs for their graduate entry course. You need to look at individual uni's A-level requirements as well.

With regards to GAMSAT, it's a very expensive exam and requires a lot of intensive prep. It's also hard to know what to study, as there is no syllabus as such and there are very few official sample questions available. There are lots of providers who sell expensive courses, but I don't know how they consider themselves experts if ACER themselves are quite secretive about the exam. Consider all of this before deciding if it's worth it!

I think the only uni that asks for BMAT from graduates is Oxford. Unless you're thinking of applying there, it's not worth it.
Thank you very much. I think I will stick to applying to unis that only require the UCAT. I thought Kings did not look at gcses or a levels?
micholate9
Badges: 13
Rep:
Report 2 months ago
(Original post by lucylim_)
Thank you very much. I think I will stick to applying to unis that only require the UCAT. I thought Kings did not look at gcses or a levels?
Ah sorry, you might be right about King's. I was thinking of the undergraduate course not GEM.

Good luck with your future application
ecolier
Badges: 22
Rep:
Report 2 months ago
(Original post by lucylim_)
I am a second year Biomedical Science student. I am hoping to apply to graduate entry medicine October 2022. I am looking for any advice/help. I need help deciding which unis to apply to and which are slightly easier to get into - I know none are easy but I will go anywhere but of course can only apply to 4 unis. Also please help on UCAT, BMAT or GAMSAT, I don't know which as all are so different idk which to start preparing for. Any advice would be hugely helpful. I don't think I can sit all 3 as won't be able to prepare for them all properly and focus on my degree. Also struggling to find volunteering due to covid. Can anyone that has recently applied for medicine help? I was thinking about applying for undergraduate medicine as thought the Biomedical Science degree would give me more of an advantage? But didn't realise the lack of funding available.
Read through https://www.thestudentroom.co.uk/sho....php?t=6655172 - the thread for GEM 2023 applicants. I have literally just answered a very similar question in the latest post.
X

Quick Reply

Attached files
Write a reply...
Back
to top
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

What is your favourite revision method?

Taking notes manually (40)
23.26%
Note taking apps (5)
2.91%
Flashcards (31)
18.02%
Revision guides (5)
2.91%
Past papers (85)
49.42%
Something else (let us know in the thread) (6)
3.49%

Watched Threads