If i get expelled from a university, can i apply to a different university?

Watch
carblam925
Badges: 2
Rep:
? You'll earn badges for being active around the site. Rep gems come when your posts are rated by other community members.
Report Thread starter 1 month ago
As title, i am fear that i may get expell from the university because of plagrism. I did copy and paste some of the paragraphs but i told my tutor straight away.

Just in case i get expell, what will be my options?
can i apply to a different university in UK and let's say UK wont have me can i study abroad?
Admit-One
Badges: 21
Rep:
? You'll earn badges for being active around the site. Rep gems come when your posts are rated by other community members.
Report 1 month ago
(Original post by carblam925)
As title, i am fear that i may get expell from the university because of plagrism. I did copy and paste some of the paragraphs but i told my tutor straight away.

Just in case i get expell, what will be my options?
can i apply to a different university in UK and let's say UK wont have me can i study abroad?
Yes, you can apply elsewhere BUT you must declare your previous study and most likely need to provide a reference from what is your current uni. Which is unlikely to be glowing given the circumstances.
jonathanemptage
Rep:
Report 1 month ago
You can apply but you'll be at a slight disadvantage as they'll know you cheated if you do get in (and you might not) they will for sure keep a close eye on you so you'll need to be squeaky clean again if you get in you might not be able to get an academic reference from your current uni which you might not be very good as @Admit-One has said.

Why did you tell your tutor you had done it, It gives you less options to use ignorance as a defence in your hearing right now I'd talk to your SU they will give better advice than a load of people on the internet and will also be able to provide a representative to be with you during the hearing.
mike23mike
Badges: 14
Rep:
Report 1 month ago
You are unlikely to get expelled if you have confessed. You may get a zero for plagiarism and be asked to redo the assignment but getting expelled for a 'first offence' seems a bit harsh.

That said, if you do get expelled for academic dishonesty you will have a tough time getting another uni to take you.
Bongo Bongo
Badges: 19
Rep:
Report 1 month ago
They won't expel you for that. Gather stock, brush up on your academic integrity and put it behind you.
jonathanemptage
Rep:
Report 4 weeks ago
(Original post by Bongo Bongo)
They won't expel you for that. Gather stock, brush up on your academic integrity and put it behind you.
They might some unis are pretty harsh on that if OP is a first year they may be a little lenient and just give him a zero or something but if he’s second or 3rd year then that’s a bit more serious.
carblam925
Rep:
Report Thread starter 4 weeks ago
(Original post by jonathanemptage)
They might some unis are pretty harsh on that if OP is a first year they may be a little lenient and just give him a zero or something but if he’s second or 3rd year then that’s a bit more serious.
Well i am a third year however i am actually intercalating in a different degree so i am not familiar with the exam system.
I told my professor straight away that i messed up and i want to change it after submission but the portal was closed , i can only hope the best.
Ali.maxwell
Badges: 11
Rep:
Report 4 weeks ago
that's what i naively though when i got my first misconduct hearing this June and now i'm no longer a student at the university so, no t freak out OP but start planning for alternatives
carblam925
Rep:
Report Thread starter 4 weeks ago
(Original post by Ali.maxwell)
that's what i naively though when i got my first misconduct hearing this June and now i'm no longer a student at the university so, no t freak out OP but start planning for alternatives
Dont mind me asking. After that did you apply to a different university?
Ali.maxwell
Rep:
Report 3 weeks ago
(Original post by carblam925)
Dont mind me asking. After that did you apply to a different university?
um so it was late in September when I found out. some background (i wasn't technically expelled but because it was a first offence i was asked to politely withdraw (or they would expel me and i would get no credits and would have to begin from year 1)which would allow me to keep my credits from first year) all the universities i called said no problem its just very late to apply and you would have to wait till next year.
Reality Check
Badges: 22
Rep:
Report 3 weeks ago
um so it was late in September when I found out. some background (i wasn't technically expelled but because it was a first offence i was asked to politely withdraw (or they would expel me and i would get no credits and would have to begin from year 1)which would allow me to keep my credits from first year) all the universities i called said no problem its just very late to apply and you would have to wait till next year.
So no universities which you approached to enter this year with APL credits had the slightest concerns that you had been asked to withdraw from your previous institution due to academic misconduct?
Ali.maxwell
Rep:
Report 3 weeks ago
(Original post by Reality Check)
So no universities which you approached to enter this year with APL credits had the slightest concerns that you had been asked to withdraw from your previous institution due to academic misconduct?
I never mentioned it. I said I withdrew which most people take to mean I dropped out willingly so yes no problems
Reality Check
Badges: 22
Rep:
Report 3 weeks ago
I never mentioned it. I said I withdrew which most people take to mean I dropped out willingly so yes no problems
I see. Won't your new university want a reference from your previous institution?
Ali.maxwell
Rep:
Report 3 weeks ago
(Original post by Reality Check)
I see. Won't your new university want a reference from your previous institution?
i did not think that far a head, however there was a student in a similar position only he found out in august and applied to university through clearing and he got in no problem so I'm guessing its not a problem. however I transferred my credits to the OU I don't want to repeat all of second year so I plan to take the missing 30 credits at the open university and then transfer for my final year, there are 2 universities who said they would accept me i emailed around and if i should need a reference the OU would be my last place of study and can provide reference
X

Quick Reply

Attached files
Write a reply...
Back
to top
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

Would you give consent for uni's to contact your parent/trusted person in a mental health crisis?

Yes - my parent/carer (106)
34.42%
Yes - a trusted person (88)
28.57%
No (81)
26.3%
I'm not sure (33)
10.71%

Watched Threads