IndianMulan
Badges: 4
Rep:
? You'll earn badges for being active around the site. Rep gems come when your posts are rated by other community members.
Report Thread starter 1 month ago
Hi,

I'm an international A levels student. School doesn't offer FM. Registered for MAT on Nov 3rd.

Please suggest material other than past papers.

P.S.: Not physical books though as shipping time may take a few days.

Thanks in advance !
Anonymous(
Badges: 13
Rep:
? You'll earn badges for being active around the site. Rep gems come when your posts are rated by other community members.
Report 1 month ago
(Original post by IndianMulan)
Hi,

I'm an international A levels student. School doesn't offer FM. Registered for MAT on Nov 3rd.

Please suggest material other than past papers.

P.S.: Not physical books though as shipping time may take a few days.

Thanks in advance !
Hi there, the best way to prepare is to do all the past papers available, so make sure you finish all of them. Also, redo the papers that you did very badly on, and make sure you do most of the past papers under timed conditions. As for other resources, you could do some questions from the Cambridge STEP 1 exam, some British Maths Olympiad (BMO) round 1 questions, just general logic puzzles (you can find them on YouTube/on brilliant), and maybe look at a few AEA/TMUA papers. However, if you haven’t finished all the past papers yet, that should be the priority. Which unis have you applied to btw?
IndianMulan
Rep:
Only Oxford. School doesn't offer FM so many unis ruled out unfortunately.

And thanks for the pointer for additional resources. Will look it up.
Last edited by IndianMulan; 1 month ago
Anonymous(
Rep:
Report 1 month ago
Only Oxford. School doesn't offer FM so many unis ruled out unfortunately.

And thanks for the pointer for additional resources. Will look it up.
Hey there, you could’ve self studied FM but I guess it’s too late now. Even Oxford requires FM btw, but if you do very well on the MAT you have a chance. You can still apply to places like imperial and UCL, cause even though they require FM, if you do well on the MAT you have a chance.
IndianMulan
Rep:
Any idea what's a good score in mat to apply to ucl and imperial?
Anonymous(
Rep:
Report 1 month ago
Any idea what's a good score in mat to apply to ucl and imperial?
I don’t think UCL uses the MAT, but imperial does so you can apply there. Since you don’t have FM, you should be aiming for at least 70+ for Oxford & Imperial but it varies from year to year. Don’t have very high hopes though, cause they are both very competitive. However, if you smash the MAT, you have a chance. This is much easier said than done, but just put all your energy into the MAT right now.
IndianMulan
Rep:
That helps. I'm still at 60 in mocks.
Anonymous(
Rep:
Report 1 month ago
That helps. I'm still at 60 in mocks.
Hmm, there’s still time to improve. Generally a 60 should at least get you an interview at Oxford but since you don’t do FM you probably need a higher score. Anyways, all the best!
IndianMulan
Rep:
Ouch! I was hoping them to think without fm if someone can touch 60 then perhaps with fm they would have had potential to do better.
mqb2766
Badges: 19
Rep:
Report 1 month ago
Ouch! I was hoping them to think without fm if someone can touch 60 then perhaps with fm they would have had potential to do better.
Almost the opposite. You don't need fm to do mat, but it is extremely helpful for the actual course. If you're not doing fm, it should not disadvantage you in the mat and you'd have to demonstrate (in the mat) you have the ability to make up the fm stuff at the start.
I believe its rare to be accepted (oxford) without fm, unfortunately.
Last edited by mqb2766; 1 month ago
IndianMulan
Rep:
Oh, I get what you mean.
You are right about rare offer part. I too read that.
Cs115
Badges: 10
Rep:
Report 1 month ago
You could try the TMUA or the STEP support programme as well.
IndianMulan
Rep:
(Original post by Cs115)
You could try the TMUA or the STEP support programme as well.
How does STEP work ? I mean, am applying for Sept 2022 batch. So should I have taken STEP in 2021 or should I take in 2022 ? Admissions for 2022 close before STEP exam dates, right ? Hence asking. I don't want to take a gap year.
Last edited by IndianMulan; 1 month ago
Cs115
Badges: 10
Rep:
Report 1 month ago
How does STEP work ? I mean, am applying for Sept 2022 batch. So should I have taken STEP in 2021 or should I take in 2022 ? Admissions for 2022 close before STEP exam dates, right ? Hence asking. I don't want to take a gap year.
You don't need to take STEP for oxford. It's only for Cambridge/ Warwick although some other unis accept it as well. It's an exam you take after you get an offer, in June, as part of your offer conditions. So if your offer doesn't require it then no need to take it
Anonymous(
Rep:
Report 1 month ago
Since you’ve applied this year, it means that you will start uni in 2022. If you want to take STEP, you will take it in June 2022 and the results will be out in august 2022. However, Oxford doesn’t require STEP.
IndianMulan
Rep:
Got it. Thanks for explaining.
X

Quick Reply

Attached files
Write a reply...
Back
to top
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

How would you describe the quality of the digital skills you're taught at school?

Excellent (39)
9.68%
Okay (119)
29.53%
A bit lacking (153)
37.97%
Not good at all (92)
22.83%

Watched Threads