r.rosex
Badges: 9
Rep:
? You'll earn badges for being active around the site. Rep gems come when your posts are rated by other community members.
Report Thread starter 7 months ago
Hey! I am doing OCR A biology and I always hear that biology is linked together and so on and so forth but I always find it difficult to establish these links. Would anyone who has done OCR A biology be able to tell me what links to what or how I can try and make those links myself.
riannak
Badges: 12
Rep:
? You'll earn badges for being active around the site. Rep gems come when your posts are rated by other community members.
Report 7 months ago
Hey, so you can make synoptic links between most of the 'introductory topics' (ones you do at the start of yr12 e.g. biological membranes, enzymes, cell structure etc) and the rest of the a-level course, because they form the foundation of your a-level biology knowledge so most of the stuff you learn afterwards will feed in some way to these.

e.g. you could get a question on respiration like 'explain why the rate of respiration is affected by temperature', which would link to enzymes as you would have to talk about how respiration is an enzyme controlled series of reactions, so increasing temp causes enzymes and substrates to have more kinetic energy, leading to the formation of more enzyme-substrate complexes and therefore more ATP produced etc...

Its difficult to just tell you the links because there are so many, so i would say just make sure you're always keeping the other topics you've learned in mind (especially the module 2 topics) when learning new content
Maybe it could help you to have a running google doc of synoptic links, or to write down the spec points that link in your notes
You could always ask your teacher/s to briefly mention when synoptic links come up during lessons as well

hope this helps
X

Quick Reply

Attached files
Write a reply...
Back
to top
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

Year 12s - where are you at with making decisions about university?

I’ve chosen my course and my university (21)
30.88%
I’ve chosen my course and shortlisted some universities (26)
38.24%
I’ve chosen my course, but not any universities (3)
4.41%
I’ve chosen my university, but not my course (3)
4.41%
I’ve shortlisted some universities, but not my course (4)
5.88%
I’m starting to consider my university options (9)
13.24%
I haven’t started thinking about university yet (1)
1.47%
I’m not planning on going to university (1)
1.47%

Watched Threads