daisyappleby
Badges: 3
Rep:
? You'll earn badges for being active around the site. Rep gems come when your posts are rated by other community members.
Report Thread starter 1 month ago
Hey, i’m currently in yr12 and having a bit of a crisis.

I originally planned to do medicine at uni but changed my mind due to my passion for economics that i had been trying to ignore (i wanted to impress others 🙄 now i realise i just want to do something i love). Therefore i have taken maths biology chem and economics. My school sadly doesn’t offer further maths which is the main problem as i want to go to a russell group university and i know they prefer further maths.

I got 999988888 and a distinction at gcse, so far im achieving A*s in biology and econocmis, with around an A/B in maths and sadly i am failing chem due to my teacher being AWFUL. Anyway, I am debating dropping chem and working on maths to get it to an A* and hopefully end up with A*A*A* as my predicted. So here are my questions:

Is it worth dropping chemistry, i don’t enjoy it and i need the time to focus on maths?
How disadvantaged am i considering i do not have further maths?
Is UCL a realistic choice? As it seems like a wonderful uni!!

Sorry for the long rant, but any advice and uni suggestions (preferably in london, i live in essex and london is the furthest i want to be from home!!)

Thank you so much! Also this is my first post on student room so sorry if it’s a bit all over the place! 😁
TalkativeJunior
Badges: 8
Rep:
? You'll earn badges for being active around the site. Rep gems come when your posts are rated by other community members.
Report 1 month ago
I would drop chemistry if I was you, I dont think any unis need 4 A levels, so it would be worth getting higher grades in your other subjects (double check what your favourite unis say tho), rather than getting 4 worse grades.

As your school doesn't offer further maths, different unis will probably take this into consideration, and may give you offers without further maths, as they know you can't control what your school offers. However, you may struggle once you start at university as others will be ahead of you. Have you considered dropping chemistry and self teaching further maths as level? This would show to the universities you could work well by yourself as well as gaining more maths knowledge.

Good luck with whatever you do decide to do
username5821865
Badges: 15
Rep:
Report 1 month ago
(Original post by daisyappleby)

I originally planned to do medicine at uni but changed my mind due to my passion for economics that i had been trying to ignore (i wanted to impress others 🙄 now i realise i just want to do something i love). Therefore i have taken maths biology chem and economics. My school sadly doesn’t offer further maths which is the main problem as i want to go to a russell group university and i know they prefer further maths.

I got 999988888 and a distinction at gcse, so far im achieving A*s in biology and econocmis, with around an A/B in maths and sadly i am failing chem due to my teacher being AWFUL. Anyway, I am debating dropping chem and working on maths to get it to an A* and hopefully end up with A*A*A* as my predicted. So here are my questions:

Is it worth dropping chemistry, i don’t enjoy it and i need the time to focus on maths?

Sorry for the long rant, but any advice and uni suggestions (preferably in london, i live in essex and london is the furthest i want to be from home!!)

Thank you so much! Also this is my first post on student room so sorry if it’s a bit all over the place! 😁
a) Since you're sure that you want to do an economics degree, drop A-level chemistry as there is no need for it.
b) It depends on where you're applying to. LSE requires A-level Further maths unless it's stated that your school does not offer it. In which case, as the poster above suggested, you might want to teach yourself further maths and mention it on your personal statement if you want to apply to LSE.
c) UCL does not require require A-level further maths and thus, could be a realistic choice provided that you maintain your A* record and are predicted A*A A at the minimum.

If you limit yourself to top Universities in and around London, you could only apply to LSE, UCL and King's College London.
Last edited by username5821865; 1 month ago
daisyappleby
Rep:
(Original post by Throwaway48)
a) Since you're sure that you want to do an economics degree, drop A-level chemistry as there is no need for it.
b) It depends on where you're applying to. LSE requires A-level Further maths unless it's stated that your school does not offer it. In which case, as the poster above suggested, you might want to teach yourself further maths and mention it on your personal statement if you want to apply to LSE.
c) UCL does not require require A-level further maths and thus, could be a realistic choice provided that you maintain your A* record and are predicted A*A A at the minimum.

If you limit yourself to top Universities in and around London, you could only apply to LSE, UCL and King's College London.
Ahh thank you so much! Think i will drop chem as soon as possible. And have looked at other unis now! Thinking KCL looks pretty good! And Royal holloway, Queen mary’s and surrey (i know not the area i said in the post but i need some back up options). Thank you so much for your advice <3
daisyappleby
Rep:
(Original post by TalkativeJunior)
I would drop chemistry if I was you, I dont think any unis need 4 A levels, so it would be worth getting higher grades in your other subjects (double check what your favourite unis say tho), rather than getting 4 worse grades.

As your school doesn't offer further maths, different unis will probably take this into consideration, and may give you offers without further maths, as they know you can't control what your school offers. However, you may struggle once you start at university as others will be ahead of you. Have you considered dropping chemistry and self teaching further maths as level? This would show to the universities you could work well by yourself as well as gaining more maths knowledge.

Good luck with whatever you do decide to do
Thank you tons! Yes i was thinking about teaching myself further maths but tbh i’m not sure how itll go as it looks super super difficult so i think i’d need extra support. I was thinking about seeing if i could do EPQ to add to my application and just do a lot of wider reader etc. do you reckon that’d be okay? Thank you so much for your help 😁
lalexm
Badges: 10
Rep:
Report 1 month ago

Like others have said, you should drop chem and focus on the others. If you end up with say A*A*A predictions, you would have a very good shot at getting into anywhere, except for the couple of places that require further maths. Keeping chem and ending up with say A*A*BB predictions would be a lot worse as you would not meet the grade requirements of many of the top Unis for Econ.
shriya <3
Badges: 4
Rep:
Report 1 month ago
Hey, I'm in yr 13 and just applied for Econ at UCL and Kings. I do A levels in Maths, Economics, Spanish (predicted 3A*'s) and dropped Chemistry at the end of year 12. I had the same issue this time last year worrying about not having further maths, especially since my school does offer it and I chose not to take it, but if you have good GCSE grades and good A Level predicted grades then you have just as good a shot as anyone at getting into UCL. For UCL/LSE you do have to have a predicted A* in Maths though, so dropping chem to focus on getting an A* in Maths is probably a good idea if you're aspiring for UCL. Unis do take into account the fact that your school doesn't offer further maths, so not having it shouldn't disadvantage you. I also did an EPQ in yr 12 and would just say to focus on wider reading and maybe start thinking about what you can include in your personal statement. Good luck with your application!
daisyappleby
Rep:
(Original post by shriya <3)
Hey, I'm in yr 13 and just applied for Econ at UCL and Kings. I do A levels in Maths, Economics, Spanish (predicted 3A*'s) and dropped Chemistry at the end of year 12. I had the same issue this time last year worrying about not having further maths, especially since my school does offer it and I chose not to take it, but if you have good GCSE grades and good A Level predicted grades then you have just as good a shot as anyone at getting into UCL. For UCL/LSE you do have to have a predicted A* in Maths though, so dropping chem to focus on getting an A* in Maths is probably a good idea if you're aspiring for UCL. Unis do take into account the fact that your school doesn't offer further maths, so not having it shouldn't disadvantage you. I also did an EPQ in yr 12 and would just say to focus on wider reading and maybe start thinking about what you can include in your personal statement. Good luck with your application!
thank you a ton!!! this is really helpful! i might drop chem once half term is over!
McGinger
Badges: 17
Rep:
Report 1 month ago
Applying for Economics - https://www.thestudentroom.co.uk/wiki/economics_degree
daisyappleby
Rep:
(Original post by shriya <3)
thank you a ton!!! this is really helpful! i might drop chem once half term is over!
TarantinoH
Badges: 12
Rep:
Report 1 month ago
doing what you enjoy not what you want others want you to do is the most important thing is all i can say; I love chem so could never drop it even tho business geography and maths seem more fitting for a finance degree and every one was like no don't do chem but i'm so glad i didn't listen to anyone and pursued chem (pretty sure i went from the smartest at my old school to dumbest at my new one but oh well) as well as the other three. For you, it'd probably be best to drop chemistry tho if you don't want to do it. also does anyone know how good durham is?
BenRyan99
Badges: 16
Rep:
Report 1 month ago

As others have stated, drop chem as soon as possible. Not worth waiting till Christmas to drop it, do it as soon as you can so you maximise the benefit from dropping it. Otherwise you're just spending x many hours a week doing a subject that'll be redundant for your results.

Restricting yourself to just London and the general South East does restrict you, but this restriction is more for backup unis than most unis you should aspire to seeing as Oxbridge is out of the equation. LSE and UCL are the top ones in London so definitely apply to one but probs both if you have at least A*AA with an A* in maths considering you can't do further.

King's is definitely not as strong as the other two. It's decent but economics isn't one of its strong subjects (medicine, law and political economy are). But seeing as you wanna go to London then you sorta have to apply to king's as its the 3rd best (obvs Imperial doesn't do econ). Outside of this then QMUL and Surrey would be your best bets for insurance choices.

Only issue with your location preference is that it means you can't apply to Warwick which is roughly as good (maybe a bit below) UCL for Econ. It also means you can't apply to any of the upper second tier unis like Bristol, Nottingham, Durham and Bath which are all strong for undergrad Econ which is a bit of a shame. Could you be tempted to reconsider places like Bristol and Bath (not North) as they would be a tonne better than places like QMUL, Surrey, Brunel RH, etc.

Interested to hear why you said you've got a passion for Econ. Worth noting that university economics is very different to a-level economics.
X

Quick Reply

Attached files
Write a reply...
Back
to top
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

How would you describe the quality of the digital skills you're taught at school?

Excellent (23)
9.24%
Okay (72)
28.92%
A bit lacking (93)
37.35%
Not good at all (61)
24.5%

Watched Threads

Latest
My Feed