ruekook
Badges: 0
Rep:
? You'll earn badges for being active around the site. Rep gems come when your posts are rated by other community members.
Report Thread starter 1 month ago
I’m pretty sure I’m going to do very poorly during my first term. My mental health has been the worst lately, my attendance is not good either. Few of the lectures I’m doing okay but two of them I literally suck at which means I won’t do better during the exams too. If I fail two of my lectures, what will happen ? Can I still continue the second semester or will they make me redo the whole class ?
Reality Check
Badges: 22
Rep:
? You'll earn badges for being active around the site. Rep gems come when your posts are rated by other community members.
Report 1 month ago
(Original post by ruekook)
I’m pretty sure I’m going to do very poorly during my first term. My mental health has been the worst lately, my attendance is not good either. Few of the lectures I’m doing okay but two of them I literally suck at which means I won’t do better during the exams too. If I fail two of my lectures, what will happen ? Can I still continue the second semester or will they make me redo the whole class ?
Impossible for anyone here to say - we don't know the course, uni, or any of the regulations. Speak to your tutor or programme leader about this.

Whilst you're at it, have you sought any support for your MH issues - and are they related to your poor attendance? Again, you need to speak to your personal tutor or Student Services at your uni to get help with this. Don't just sit on problems - they will snowball.
mike23mike
Badges: 14
Rep:
Report 1 month ago
if you fail a module you are allowed to resit but if you fail that then you will be out.
University of Portsmouth Student Rep
Badges: 16
Rep:
Report 1 month ago
Hi rue kook 👋,

Sorry to hear about the challenging time you are going through hopefully I can offer some guidance. Remember that you have not failed yet so try to keep positive.

My first suggestion to you would be to see if your university offers any support for extenuating circumstances (such as mental health, physical health, family bereavement problems). This might include the extension of deadlines, extra consideration for retaking, etc.
All universities will take different approaches to this so , as others have also suggested, I would get in contact with your lectures or your universities health and wellbeing support team to see about your options.

Most universities will offer an option to retake individual sections of your overall degree at the end of the year over the summer. For the specifics of this you will need to contact your university. As this is normally the case you will be able to move onto the next term but might not be able to move into the next year at the end until you pass fully.

With all the different modules you will have within your degree your end of year grade will be an average of the lot so if you do badly in one area you might be able to up your average grade in another module.

Although disheartening failing is something that you are not alone in doing and your university will have this in place to support you on this.

Hope this helps, please let me know if you have any other queries!

Best wishes and Good luck,
Shelby - UoP Rep 😃
Badges: 19
Rep:
Report 1 month ago
I went from 50% on the mock exam to 92% on the real exam in a module, despite myself studying outside UK. I am in the first year, and that was the first exam I knew the mark.
You can ask me for tips!
ShubhamAgarwal
Badges: 7
Rep:
Report 1 month ago
Hi,
If you don't have a first half, it can of course cause you to worry a lot, but you still have semesters ahead. Take the first outcome for your attention as a strong alarm.
It means that in the last two semesters you have to work hard to achieve better / higher averages. Your teachers are of course right not to help, but they now know about your situation.
Your final result will therefore help them understand why this semester fails.
Some university laws require any student to repeat the class or leave college to achieve a low average result during the last six months.
Please work hard to show your relative will
and all the best
Last edited by ShubhamAgarwal; 1 month ago
Anonymous #1
Report 1 month ago
You will probably have the chance to redo the exams in the summer and even though if you fail you will probably continue to the second semester. They care more about the next year where u will have to pass the resits. However, some universities require core modules to be passed to continue, so if it is an optional one then maybe you can still progress- but just take the time to resit it as it will benefit you better.
X

Quick Reply

Attached files
Write a reply...
Back
to top
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

How would you describe the quality of the digital skills you're taught at school?

Excellent (37)
9.61%
Okay (112)
29.09%
A bit lacking (145)
37.66%
Not good at all (91)
23.64%

Watched Threads