The Student Room Group

What is the difference between between Computing and Computer Science

What is the difference between A Level Computing and A Level Computer Science? Is there a difference at all? Do universities who look for A Level Computer Science consider A Level Computing the same way?
Original post by RaffaeleO
What is the difference between A Level Computing and A Level Computer Science? Is there a difference at all? Do universities who look for A Level Computer Science consider A Level Computing the same way?

A Level Computing is basically the same thing as A-Level Computer Science, both courses have the same assessment material which has the same value in the course (Percentage of Course Counting to Final Grade) being:

Unit 1: Computer Systems (40%).
Unit 2: Algorithms and Programming (40%).
Unit 3: Programming Project (20%).

I'm not sure about if A Level Computing has more programming but I think its the same thing, most Sixth Forms have it labelled as Computer Science and most Collages have it labelled as Computing, but I don't think universities will favour one over the other
Reply 2
It is exactly the same thing.

Until 2017 the A level was officially called Computing. The reforms for teaching from 2015 (first exams in 2017) changed the official subject name to Computer Science. Some schools/colleges have just never caught up with the name change although they will all be teaching A level Computer Science
(edited 2 years ago)

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending