The Student Room Group

Any ideas for IRP a level french?

Original post by cherryhitchkins

Hundreds.
Please give us some help and tell us what sort of topic you might be interested in!
History
Literature
Theatre
Current affairs
Food
Fashion
Agriculture
Industry
Fishing
Business
Immigration
Politics
Film
Music
The possibilities are endless. First pick a general area, then hone it down to something more manageable.

For example: If you chose History, you would then need to choose either a period or a person - for example, the reign of Louis XIV.

Then might be a good time to come back here and ask for some more specific ideas. Your IRP needs to be focussed on something in particular, eg: To what extent is it true to say that the French Revolution actually started under Louis XIV, and not in 1789 with the storming of the Bastille?
Original post by Anna Schoon
Hundreds.
Please give us some help and tell us what sort of topic you might be interested in!
History
Literature
Theatre
Current affairs
Food
Fashion
Agriculture
Industry
Fishing
Business
Immigration
Politics
Film
Music
The possibilities are endless. First pick a general area, then hone it down to something more manageable.

For example: If you chose History, you would then need to choose either a period or a person - for example, the reign of Louis XIV.

Then might be a good time to come back here and ask for some more specific ideas. Your IRP needs to be focussed on something in particular, eg: To what extent is it true to say that the French Revolution actually started under Louis XIV, and not in 1789 with the storming of the Bastille?

If i was to choose fashion what sort of things do i include
If i was to choose fashion what sort of things do i include

You move to the second stage in the process!

You now need to choose a particular aspect of fashion that you would like to research. You're not actually at the focussed question yet, but you need to hone down your area to something within which you can formulate your question.

For example, you could decide to research something in one of the following fields:

- History of French fashion
- Problems in French fashion today
- Finance and French fashion
- The future of French fashion
- French fashion outside the restricted circle of haute couture

Choose just one of these areas; then start doing some general reading about it to get a basic idea. You will then need to hone it down further in order to to concentrate on a particular aspect that interests you - your general reading should give you some inspiration.

It can be a good idea to formulate a question starting: "To what extent is it true to say that... ?" because that will lead you straight into a topic of discussion. Personally I don't know much about fashion, but under "The future of French fashion" I could imagine a discussion about questions regarding ecology (eg recycling / upcycling / importance of local production / renting) , or ethics (Chinese sweat-shops come to mind; use of semi-slave labour; use of fur and animal-based fabrics), or new man-made fabrics (how and where these are produced / extent of their use / impact...); or new designers who are starting to make a name for themselves (who? why?).

All this means that you do need two things: a) a genuine interest in your topic and b) quite a wide working knowledge about your topic. So you see, a good IRP requires a lot of preparatory work.
You move to the second stage in the process!

You now need to choose a particular aspect of fashion that you would like to research. You're not actually at the focussed question yet, but you need to hone down your area to something within which you can formulate your question.

For example, you could decide to research something in one of the following fields:

- History of French fashion
- Problems in French fashion today
- Finance and French fashion
- The future of French fashion
- French fashion outside the restricted circle of haute couture

Choose just one of these areas; then start doing some general reading about it to get a basic idea. You will then need to hone it down further in order to to concentrate on a particular aspect that interests you - your general reading should give you some inspiration.

It can be a good idea to formulate a question starting: "To what extent is it true to say that... ?" because that will lead you straight into a topic of discussion. Personally I don't know much about fashion, but under "The future of French fashion" I could imagine a discussion about questions regarding ecology (eg recycling / upcycling / importance of local production / renting) , or ethics (Chinese sweat-shops come to mind; use of semi-slave labour; use of fur and animal-based fabrics), or new man-made fabrics (how and where these are produced / extent of their use / impact...); or new designers who are starting to make a name for themselves (who? why?).

All this means that you do need two things: a) a genuine interest in your topic and b) quite a wide working knowledge about your topic. So you see, a good IRP requires a lot of preparatory work.

I am stuck between doing the louvre musem or fashion (as in how important is fashion industry to french economy or like development of sustainable fashion in France in recent years)
(edited 2 years ago)
I am stuck between doing the louvre musem or fashion (as in how important is fashion industry to french economy or like development of sustainable fashion in France in recent years)

I would suggest that you read about and around both of these topics and then make up your mind.
I would suggest that you read about and around both of these topics and then make up your mind.

thank youu
if i was thinking about doing something film related or music related what would u suggest?
Original post by isabella1025
if i was thinking about doing something film related or music related what would u suggest?

Do some preliminary research first: what sort of films / music do you like? Then find out what there is in those genres in French film and/or music.

Rather than studying one single film or song artist, you could take a slightly novel approach by looking at themes. For example, you compare how disability, or homelessness, or education, or a historical theme, is treated in three or four different films. Or you could compare the treatment of a common theme in songs - love, family...

The main thing with the IRP is to choose something you are genuinely interested in. You're going to spend a lot of time on this, so you need to enjoy it!
Reply 9
Hundreds.
History
Literature
Theatre
Current affairs
Food
Fashion
Agriculture
Industry
Fishing
Business
Immigration
Politics
Film
Music

If I was wanting to do something geography related, like sustainability or development etc., what could I do?

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending