The Student Room Group

Psychology 2022 Applicants Official Thread

Hi! Welcome to the official uni applicants thread for 2022 psychology, hopefully we can support each other through the process :smile:

Here are some application details ice-breaker questions, if you want to do them!:

What unis are you thinking of :

A level / BTEC/ IB / Higher predicted grades:

GCSE grades:

Why you want to study psychology:

Share as much detail as you're comfortable with. :smile:
(edited 2 years ago)

Scroll to see replies

Reply 1
Original post by riannak

(Original post by riannak)

Hi! Welcome to the official uni applicants thread for 2022 psychology, hopefully we can support each other through the process :smile:

Here are some application details ice-breaker questions, if you want to do them!:

GCSE grades:

to start things off i'll go first :smile:

What unis are you thinking of: oxford, ucl, kings, bath, durham

A level / BTEC/ IB / Higher predicted grades: A*A*A* (psychology, biology, geography)

GCSE grades: 9999999999

Why you want to study psychology: honestly i just find it so fascinating that people can be so different even though we are fundamentally made in the 'same way', and i want to find a way to use psychology to help people

Reply 2
What unis are you thinking of: cambridge, ucl, kcl, manchester, cardiff

A level / BTEC/ IB / Higher predicted grades: A*A*A*A* (maths, FM, chem, physics) with EPQ

GCSE grades: I didn't do GCSE or IGCSE

Why you want to study psychology: I've always found consciousness fascinating, and wanted to explore more of that
Original post by riannak

GCSE grades:

hey guys im Leah !ive actually applied for psychology with education for most places because its more focused on wha I want to do !
1.UCL, Cambridge, Manchester, Warwick and Newcastle
2.A level predicted A*AA
3. Two 9's Two 8's and 7s
4. I knew a lot of kids when I was younger that suffered from Tourettes a lot of other mental disorders, always wanted to be able to help children in school environments etc!
Original post by username5872986
hey guys im Leah !ive actually applied for psychology with education for most places because its more focused on wha I want to do !
1.UCL, Cambridge, Manchester, Warwick and Newcastle
2.A level predicted A*AA
3. Two 9's Two 8's and 7s
4. I knew a lot of kids when I was younger that suffered from Tourettes a lot of other mental disorders, always wanted to be able to help children in school environments etc!

Have you had an offer from Warwick yet?
Original post by LG31
Have you had an offer from Warwick yet?

They've deleted their account so you aren't likely to get a reply I'm afraid
Reply 6
I received all my offers and I have now a dilemma between Nottingham Trent and the University of Nottingham. I am an international student (IB) and the offer the uni of Nottingham is giving me is actually lower than Trent. My issue is that the fees at the Uni of Nottingham are much higher and will put a financial strength. Would I be crazy to choose Trent over Nottingham knowing it's supposed to be better? I cannot travel to the UK to visit and decide. Psychology seems to be good in both. Thanks
Original post by olympehk
I received all my offers and I have now a dilemma between Nottingham Trent and the University of Nottingham. I am an international student (IB) and the offer the uni of Nottingham is giving me is actually lower than Trent. My issue is that the fees at the Uni of Nottingham are much higher and will put a financial strength. Would I be crazy to choose Trent over Nottingham knowing it's supposed to be better? I cannot travel to the UK to visit and decide. Psychology seems to be good in both. Thanks

Nottingham is Russell group and definitely worth it if you can afford it. Nottingham Trent may have the Higher offer but will come down more when the grades are released. Its all a bit of a game in this country. A lot of the " lesser" universities put out relatively high offers, but if you look on a site such as Unifrog or even Uniguide you can see what was actually achieved ....
Hi I’m karolina, I’m applying for Psychology at UCL, Warwick, Bath, Kings and unsure about the last option! My predicted grades are A*AB in Psychology, English Literature and Biology. I’m planning to study Psychology as being a clinical psychologist is one of my biggest dreams, I love the idea of being able to help people as a profession! GCSEs: 98877777
You guys are all so smart

My predicted grades:
AAB and I take maths (B), biology and marine science

GCSE Grades:
AABBBBCC

I want to go into psychology because I’ve always been interested in mental illness and mental health problems as well as how the brain works. Even though I didn’t take psychology in A levels, I did a free online course by the open university on psychology. My ultimate goal is to become a clinical psychologist so I need a DClinPsy.

Universities I applied to:
University of Leicester - top choice
University of east Anglia - 2nd choice
University of Nottingham - don’t want to go anymore
Coventry university - don’t want to go
University of Northampton - my safety net
(edited 2 years ago)
Original post by Kaila2464

My predicted grades:

GCSE Grades:
AABBBBCC

I want to go into psychology because I’ve always been interested in mental illness and mental health problems as well as how the brain works. Even though I didn’t take psychology in A levels, I did a free online course by the open university on psychology. My ultimate goal is to become a clinical psychologist so I need a DClinPsy.

What put you off Nottingham?

My predicted grades:

GCSE Grades:
AABBBBCC

Can i ask you why you dont want to go to the uni of nottingham?
My first choice is Newcastle and then i m undecided between nottingham trent and uni of nottingham but people tell me to chose nottingham as insurance because it s rusell group. My other offers are sussx and Easit Anglia
1. What unis are you thinking of : Edinburgh, Cardiff, Bristol, York, Sussex

2. IB grades (achieved): 38/45, 776 HL (Psych, Math AA, Bio)

3. GCSE grades: Don't have that

4. Why you want to study psychology: I've always been interested in knowing how and why someone do certain things/think certain ways, etc. My dream is to become a researcher.
(edited 2 years ago)
Original post by Jackyp1996
What put you off Nottingham?

Well for psychology Leicester is ranked 25th in the guardian whereas Nottingham was ranked 50th. Leicester was also ranked higher in the times. East anglia is also ranked higher than Nottingham.

I know snobbery exists when it comes to RG universities, however, I personal don’t care about going to a RG as they make their course harder than it has to be due to their reputation they want to uphold.

I also Russel Groups are only universities sponsored for their research. Not even really for their teaching and education.

I also feel the only reason I wanted to go to Notts was because I knew that was the thing to do and what everybody else would do want to go. But when I really researched the universities after receiving an from Leics and UEA I realised I don’t think I even liked Notts as a uni and that Leics would be a better fit for me.

I also like Leics psych course better than Notts.

If I receive an offer from my safe choice, Northampton, then I am going to withdraw my applications from Nottingham and Coventry so I can apply for accommodation in Leicester as it is a first come first serve basis and I can’t accept Leicesters offer with other university responses still outstanding.

However, I hope Notts replies because I just want to know whether I was good enough to get into tbh.
Original post by olympehk
Can i ask you why you dont want to go to the uni of nottingham?
My first choice is Newcastle and then i m undecided between nottingham trent and uni of nottingham but people tell me to chose nottingham as insurance because it s rusell group. My other offers are sussx and Easit Anglia

Well for psychology Leicester is ranked 25th in the guardian whereas Nottingham was ranked 50th. Leicester was also ranked higher in the times. East anglia is also ranked higher than Nottingham.

I know snobbery exists when it comes to RG universities, however, I personal don’t care about going to a RG as they make their course harder than it has to be due to their reputation they want to uphold.

I also Russel Groups are only universities sponsored for their research. Not even really for their teaching and education.

I also feel the only reason I wanted to go to Notts was because I knew that was the thing to do and what everybody else would do want to go. But when I really researched the universities after receiving an from Leics and UEA I realised I don’t think I even liked Notts as a uni and that Leics would be a better fit for me.

If I receive an offer from my safe choice, Northampton, then I am going to withdraw my applications from Nottingham and Coventry so I can apply for accommodation in Leicester as it is a first come first serve basis and I can’t accept Leicesters offer with other university responses still outstanding.

However, I hope Notts replies because I just want to know whether I was good enough to get into tbh.

Thank you for your long and very honest reply. As an international student who cannot travel to visit the places it s hard so i appreciate your input. For all the reasons you give with leicester i really like Nottingham Trent as my safety. It seems ex poly are considered down but my pro column is higher.requirement wise it s actually higher at Trent. Good luck!
Original post by riannak

What unis are you thinking of : Nottingham, Newcastle, Liverpool, Sussex and Birmingham

A level / BTEC/ IB / Higher predicted grades: A*AB (psych, bio, chem)

GCSE grades:99998888877

Has anyone had offers from these unis yet?
Original post by bethanxdavis
Has anyone had offers from these unis yet?

yes for newcastle nottingham and sussex, applied mid November and got all 5 offers before christmas. Good luck!
Reply 18
Hey guys! I applied as a home student for psych in October to Cambridge, Kings, UCL, Exeter and Warwick. My A-level predicted grades are A*A*A (Psychology, Maths and Physics). My GCSEs were 999999999887 and I hope to study clinical psychology in the future as I'm just really passionate about understanding and aiding mental health disorders. I've been offered a place at Warwick and I am still waiting to hear back from the others :smile:
Original post by laz28
Hey guys! I applied as a home student for psych in October to Cambridge, Kings, UCL, Exeter and Warwick. My A-level predicted grades are A*A*A (Psychology, Maths and Physics). My GCSEs were 999999999887 and I hope to study clinical psychology in the future as I'm just really passionate about understanding and aiding mental health disorders. I've been offered a place at Warwick and I am still waiting to hear back from the others :smile:

Hi! I’m applying to Cambridge, UCL and KCL as well! I’m still waiting for UCL and KCL, and I do hope to hear back from them very soon after UCAS 2 deadline… Good luck tomorrow for Cambridge!

Quick Reply

Latest