The Student Room Group

How to fund studying in the USA

I'm Welsh and my girlfriend is American, we're long distance and she lives in Scottsdale AZ. We've been together for almost two years and we want to move in together because long distance sucks and I just don't want to be away from her any longer. Her mother is offering us to take over the lease of her apartment so we'd already have a place and it's pretty affordable- and I'd love to live a year or two in America just for the change of scenery and experience. I wanna be a baker and go to a culinary school/ take a baking and patisserie course in college. I'd love to study out there so I could get a student visa, that'd allow me to get a small job too so I could help pay rent and we can live off of. I just really don't know where to start on how to fund my studies at all. The college I'm looking at doesn't offer financial aid or scholarships to international students and basically requires proof I can afford tuition and expenses in my bank account. I don't know how anything works and what funding I can get from the UK gov/student finance wales or really anything to do with this sort of stuff. I know you can get grants to cover extra expenses but is there anything for tuition fees and yeah i just need ANY help or advice or someone to tell me if my plan is even possible or general advice on what visa i could get just so i could live out there for a year or two i'd really appreciate it <3
Reply 1
Heya,

Maybe try high paying culinary competitions. I know that some restaurant chains and companies pay big bucks to send students away to culinary school as scholarships. Do your research on them and even send like a thousand emails until they reply. Even if they say no they don't offer it ask them if they are willing to sponsor you possible (every little helps).

Try contacting the culinary school personally by email maybe and I should have said this earlier but even investment firms offer scholarships not matter the degree like Credit Suisse.

As for the Visa check out the US gov website I think there are two types of student visas, you should check which one you are most suited to .

xoxo hope everything works out!

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending