The Student Room Group

Has your schooling been disrupted this academic year?

Poll

Has your education been disrupted this academic year due to the pandemic?

We're now almost two months into the academic year and as everyone knows Covid-19 case numbers are still high compared to the majority of other European countries.

There have been reports that these numbers are having an effect on students studying and revision, with "Year 11 students having missed 11.5 per cent of sessions during the first half of the autumn term, up to 15th October".

I wanted to see how much the pandemic was effecting your schooling and studying. Have you had to miss days in school, if so are your school offering suitable remote alternatives to keep you up to date.

With exams going ahead currently in the summer how are you feeling about the up and coming year, do you have all the support you need to succeed?

Full article can be found here.
well not this year since we're back in school and almost 'normal' but last year definitely. i moved schools on top of covid so after appealing to get in, i started with online lessons then finally attended the school with covid regulations everywhere.

edit: i had to isolate many times since my nana and sister are vulnerable and my dads a key worker. cases kept popping up in our schools and at his work which was annoying.
(edited 2 years ago)
Yeah I caught Covid and had to quarantine
Original post by Evil Homer
I wanted to see how much the pandemic was effecting your schooling and studying. Have you had to miss days in school, if so are your school offering suitable remote alternatives to keep you up to date.

With exams going ahead currently in the summer how are you feeling about the up and coming year, do you have all the support you need to succeed?

My teachers sent class notes to students who were in quarantine and that's pretty much it but it's not like they can do anything else.

I'm quite anxious about summer exams and I feel like I'm quite behind in one of my subject but the fact that they will tell us what topics will come does make me feel slightly better :smile:
Original post by Evil Homer
We're now almost two months into the academic year and as everyone knows Covid-19 case numbers are still high compared to the majority of other European countries.

There have been reports that these numbers are having an effect on students studying and revision, with "Year 11 students having missed 11.5 per cent of sessions during the first half of the autumn term, up to 15th October".

This is a very leading question! It would fail the criteria for GCSE Maths questionnaire ....

A more 'open' thread would invite better responses.
who ever said there was no disruption to education i know you're lying :frown:
Hits schools differently depending on how much funding they have and how flexible their staffing is.

Some schools will be far better at supporting anyone who is isolating at home than others if they have the capacity to do this without overworking staff. And while this is a generalisation, schools with more disposable income in budgets tend to be better at doing this than schools who are stretched beyond belief on the budget they're on. :frown:

This has been my experience of working across 3 different schools in the last 2 years.
(edited 2 years ago)
As a distance learner, not much has changed other than no face to face tutorials which is a bit of a shame.
Our school is struggling a bit with not having enough teachers so they are prioritising, which means classes with just a few pupils such as Advanced Highers (Scotland) are under resourced and we are being left with a badly thought out mixture of last years online learning recorded sessions and worksheets to learn 1st year uni level content.
Personally, I'm a very independent learner. I usually just mess about in school and don't pay attention. Nothing sticks in my head when I just have someone telling me about something, I never understand it. So i would go home after school and re-read the chapter, do questions etc and make myself understand by myself. This really works for me and a few hours of this, is more effective than a week of school.

I know that the vast majority of people are not like this, but for me personally, my eduction has actually improved because I don't waste 6 hours every day messing about at school but instead can actually focus on my own revision.

And yes, I still do get very good grades in school.
(edited 2 years ago)

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending