The Student Room Group
City campus, Sheffield Hallam University
Sheffield Hallam University
Sheffield
Visit website

Official Sheffield Hallam University 2022 Applicant Thread

Hi! :hello:

This is the thread for people who are thinking of applying to Sheffield Hallam University for 2022!

Meet and chat to other people applying here.

Ice breaker questions:
What course are you applying for?
What subjects are you studying now?

You can find a big list of all the other applicant threads here :biggrin:

Scroll to see replies

Hi, I'm Rosie! I am an official student ambassador for Sheffield Hallam university, here to answer any and all queries! I first studied for three years doing social work, and then continued on with my studies at Hallam doing a MSc in Developmental psychology, so I know both the undergrad and postgrad side of things. I found it difficult deciding which course to do and which university to go to after my A levels, so I have been where you are. After going to the open days and visiting the city I decided to go to Sheffield Hallam University, as though it is a large city it still felt relaxed, with lots of parks and green spaces. My course was also going to be based at collegiate which is full of nature and felt very tranquil. I also liked the vibe of the city, which everyone compares to Ireland (where I was born!) due the friendly nature of the people. There's also lots to do, from shopping, the cinema, theatres, bowling, ice skating and more. Everything feels quite close together and easy to get to which was a real plus for me.

I also did my masters degree during Covid and all my teaching was online, so I can answer any questions you may have regarding online and blended learning. I look forward to getting to know you all and help you along your university journey <3
City campus, Sheffield Hallam University
Sheffield Hallam University
Sheffield
Visit website
Hiya, I'm Quinn, one of the student ambassadors at Sheffield Hallam University. I'm currently in my second year, studying Creative Writing. I have a pretty big passion for immersive creative media. So much so that I decided to dedicate the next few years of my life to studying it in the hopes of one day involving myself in the writing of narratives for the screen, whether for video games or film. My first year at SHU was actually predominantly online last year due to the pandemic. This year has been great so far, having finally had classes face-to-face.

Feel free to ask me questions regarding my course, the university or about life here in Sheffield in general.
Aye Up!

We’re Luke (he/him) and Emily (she/her), official Sheffield Hallam University representatives. We’re here to help with any questions you might have about Sheffield Hallam and student life in the city of Sheffield.

About Emily:
I graduated with a BA(Honours) in Business Management with Marketing in 2019 and decided to move to Sheffield after visiting friends in the city most weekends and realising that it ticked all the boxes as the place I wanted to settle in.

I enjoy trying out the different coffee shops and bars dotted around the city centre and exploring the independent shops along Division Street and Hunters Bar. I also love to wander around Sheffield’s many parks on a weekend with my dog, Henrik. There is always something new to discover in Sheffield and I’d be happy to help you with questions about what our city has to offer, as well as all the exciting facilities you’ll find at Sheffield Hallam.

About Luke:
I moved to Sheffield in 2014 and graduated in 2018 with a BA (Hons) in Public Relations and Media, during my time at Hallam, I played an active role in student politics (both locally and nationally) and spent two terms as LGBT+ Students’ Representative.

As a ‘country boy’ living in the city, I love how Sheffield is ‘The Outdoor City’ and I regularly spend my weekends jumping between the city’s two sides, from feeding (and being climbed on by) the squirrels in the Botanical Gardens to eating and drinking my way through the city’s rich food and drink scene.

Sheffield is the city that has it all, and I am on hand to answer any questions you have about the city, life at Hallam and what support is available for students (especially LGBTQ+ students).

Looking forward to answering your questions!
Luke and Emily :smile:

Luke and Emily.jpg
(edited 2 years ago)
Hi I'm Grace and I'm currently in my second year of studying the BSC Environmental Science course at Sheffield Hallam. Before this I also completed one year of the Languages and Tourism course.

I love Sheffield Hallam for so many reasons, one being that they are such a welcoming university and I always feel supported in all aspects of my life. I felt really daunted by the prospect of starting university, but the staff and students are so understanding of this and really made me feel at home. Also, the facilities are excellent. Students have accessibility to so many learning resources on and off campus.

I love Sheffield mainly because it’s so picturesque. There are so many green spaces and places to chill out, as well as some beautiful buildings in the town centre. It’s also great for shopping, with high street shops in the town centre and at Meadowhall shopping centre, as well as countless small businesses selling unique items.

If anyone has any questions about my course, uni life in general or the application process don’t be afraid to ask me!!
Hi, I have applied for Primary Education (5-11) with QTS, which I have an interview for on 8th December, so any advice would be very much appreciated! I am currently studying CACHE Level 3 Diploma in Childcare and Education!
Original post by sashadivachic
Hi, I have applied for Primary Education (5-11) with QTS, which I have an interview for on 8th December, so any advice would be very much appreciated! I am currently studying CACHE Level 3 Diploma in Childcare and Education!

@sashadivachic https://www.shu.ac.uk/visit-us/selection-events/selection-event-for-ba-honours-primary-education-5-11-with-qts this site provides information on your selection event. For your teaching task I would advise you to prepare beforehand and practice teaching this to friends and family. For the interview section this is my advice:

This site: https://www.shu.ac.uk/careers/application-tips/interviews will provide you with information on the interview process, what you may be asked and how to prepare for it. A common interview question is "Why do you want to do this role/line of work?" so it would be helpful to you to come up with a concise and detailed answer for this :smile: They could also ask "why Sheffield?" or "Why Hallam?"

Just be yourself, show that you are genuine and passionate and this goes a long way. Though it is difficult, try be relax before the interview, get into the right frame of mind that 'I can do this'. For me, before doing anything that worries me, I do the superhero pose, arms on hips, back straight then one arm lifts to the sky in a fist motion. It sounds silly but it's always worked for me :h: so whether it is this or something else, do what you need to to get into the right headspace.

You are also there to make sure they are right for you, so think of this as a interview that extends both ways and have some questions prepared for the interviewer for when your interview is over. Having questions prepared will make you seem interested in the course and university and show that you are organised.

Make sure to bring a bottle of water with you as well, if you feel your mouth getting dry during the interview drink some water :smile:

Your background sounds like a natural stepping stone to this course, which is great so be confident in that. They may ask you about work experience, or what your greatest strengths or weaknesses are. It is good to have STAR examples prepared, which is useful for giving structured, focused, and effective answers to interview questions based on your previous experience.

STAR stands for:

Situation: What was the context? Where were you and what were you doing?
Task: What was the goal? What was the problem or challenge?
Action: What action did you take? How did you display the skill in question?
Result: What was the outcome?

They may also ask you questions relating to what you wrote in your personal statement so make sure you go over what you wrote.

Dress reasonably smartly. Smart but casual clothing will allow you to feel confident and at ease.

I hope this helps and best of luck with your interview!

- Rosie
Sheffield Hallam Student Ambassador
Original post by hallamstudents
@sashadivachic https://www.shu.ac.uk/visit-us/selection-events/selection-event-for-ba-honours-primary-education-5-11-with-qts this site provides information on your selection event. For your teaching task I would advise you to prepare beforehand and practice teaching this to friends and family. For the interview section this is my advice:

This site: https://www.shu.ac.uk/careers/application-tips/interviews will provide you with information on the interview process, what you may be asked and how to prepare for it. A common interview question is "Why do you want to do this role/line of work?" so it would be helpful to you to come up with a concise and detailed answer for this :smile: They could also ask "why Sheffield?" or "Why Hallam?"

Just be yourself, show that you are genuine and passionate and this goes a long way. Though it is difficult, try be relax before the interview, get into the right frame of mind that 'I can do this'. For me, before doing anything that worries me, I do the superhero pose, arms on hips, back straight then one arm lifts to the sky in a fist motion. It sounds silly but it's always worked for me :h: so whether it is this or something else, do what you need to to get into the right headspace.

You are also there to make sure they are right for you, so think of this as a interview that extends both ways and have some questions prepared for the interviewer for when your interview is over. Having questions prepared will make you seem interested in the course and university and show that you are organised.

Make sure to bring a bottle of water with you as well, if you feel your mouth getting dry during the interview drink some water :smile:

Your background sounds like a natural stepping stone to this course, which is great so be confident in that. They may ask you about work experience, or what your greatest strengths or weaknesses are. It is good to have STAR examples prepared, which is useful for giving structured, focused, and effective answers to interview questions based on your previous experience.

STAR stands for:

They may also ask you questions relating to what you wrote in your personal statement so make sure you go over what you wrote.

Dress reasonably smartly. Smart but casual clothing will allow you to feel confident and at ease.

- Rosie

Hi Rosie, thank you soooo much for all your amazing advice! I am feeling really anxious, but feel a little more confident after reading your positive and reassuring words. :smile:

STAR stands for:

- Rosie

Hey Rosie, I had my interview today and it went really well, better than expected. I was given really positive feedback from my interviewer! Thanks once again for your help! :smile:
Reply 9
Hey Rosie, I had my interview today and it went really well, better than expected. I was given really positive feedback from my interviewer! Thanks once again for your help! :smile:

hey what course are u planning to do?
Hi @AD_ADMIT, welcome to Sheffield Hallam University's applicants thread. Just let me know if you have any questions about applying, Sheffield Hallam's courses and student life in Sheffield. :smile:

If you want to have a look at our website, here's the link to our Study Here page where you can find out more about Sheffield Hallam and the city of Sheffield.

Thanks,
Emily (Sheffield Hallam Rep)
Original post by AD_ADMIT
hey what course are u planning to do?

Hey, I'm applying for Primary Education, how about you?
Hey, I'm applying for Primary Education, how about you?

radiography hopefully lol
radiography hopefully lol

that sounds sick, i'm sure you'll get in!
@sashadivachic Oh I'm so happy for you! Well done :h: I'm glad I helped you feel less anxious, interviews can be nerve racking. And now its done, and you did awesome <3

- Rosie
@sashadivachic Oh I'm so happy for you! Well done :h: I'm glad I helped you feel less anxious, interviews can be nerve racking. And now its done, and you did awesome <3

- Rosie

Thank you so much!
that sounds sick, i'm sure you'll get in!

damn just had my interview
damn just had my interview

how did your interview go?
how did your interview go?

good how about urs ?
good how about urs ?

Great! I GOT OFFERED A PLACE AHHH!!!!!

Quick Reply

Latest