khu7575
Badges: 7
Rep:
? You'll earn badges for being active around the site. Rep gems come when your posts are rated by other community members.
Report Thread starter 1 month ago
GUYS I need two non- lnat unis and I already picked Warwick as one. For my second choice, im confused between York and Sheffield. HELP PLEASE!
alma_beu
Badges: 11
Rep:
? You'll earn badges for being active around the site. Rep gems come when your posts are rated by other community members.
Report 1 month ago
University of Sheffield has a much higher reputation, so if you’ve got the grades I recommend applying for Sheffield!
khu7575
Rep:
(Original post by alma_beu)
University of Sheffield has a much higher reputation, so if you’ve got the grades I recommend applying for Sheffield!
yeah but again it depends on the course. Does it have a better rep for law?
alma_beu
Rep:
Report 1 month ago
(Original post by khu7575)
yeah but again it depends on the course. Does it have a better rep for law?
Yes by quite a bit actually
DonTalkToMe
Badges: 13
Rep:
Report 1 month ago
https://www.theguardian.com/educatio...1-league-table

2021 University league table- York is at at 17. Sheffield is at 26. Objectively, York is better.

This is for Law btw when you pick the subject area.
Last edited by DonTalkToMe; 1 month ago
alma_beu
Rep:
Report 1 month ago
(Original post by DonTalkToMe)

2021 University league table- York is at at 17. Sheffield is at 26. Objectively, York is better.

If you look at THE world ranks for law York is far far lower than Sheffield is
DonTalkToMe
Rep:
Report 1 month ago
(Original post by alma_beu)
If you look at THE world ranks for law York is far far lower than Sheffield is
Depends on where this person wants to go then. If they want to stay in England and practice in a MC firm or even as a barrister York is better.
khu7575
Rep:
th

(Original post by DonTalkToMe)

Hi I was checking the ranks and if you compare the characteristics in that table, york and sheffield are quite similar, which brings me back to square 1:confused:
khu7575
Rep:
th

Hi I was checking the ranks and if you compare the characteristics in that table, york and sheffield are quite similar, which brings me back to square 1:confused:
Also according to this table, warwick is below sheffield. But isnt warwick supposed to be better than both york and sheffield?
ageshallnot
Badges: 21
Rep:
Report 1 month ago
th

And the Complete University Guide has them 15th and 16th. They all measure different things.

Also according to this table, warwick is below sheffield. But isnt warwick supposed to be better than both york and sheffield?
Not necessarily for Law.

Tbh the biggest difference between Sheffield and York will be the environment.
DonTalkToMe
Rep:
Report 1 month ago
Honestly, there is no need to fret so much about universities for Law as long as it is a Russell group. How you become successful is what you do with your time at the university and your degree. I was recently talking to a barrister and he had told me that hundreds of applicants with top A level grades, top universities and 1st/2nd class degrees are deciphered through other things. Not only just what qualifications they have, he said that they'd pick an applicant over another applicant any day who went to Oxford if they showed better judgement. I know one guy who went to Birmingham which isn't as good as the top Law unis such as KCL, Durham, Warwick with AAB at A-level and now works at a Magic Firm only at the age of 22. Just try to get into any Russell group, network and you'll be fine.
alma_beu
Rep:
Report 1 month ago
Yes Warwick is much better, the guardian ranking might not be the best league table.

I’d take the average place for THE and Guardian for both schools and see which one scores better if you wish to go by prestige.

I’ve found that THE is better for a holistic overview, as they measure research output for the subject, teaching quality, student satisfaction, employment etc
LawStudent456
Badges: 18
Rep:
Report 1 month ago
Makes no difference which one you pick in terms of which one if ‘better’ for law.

York has an unusual teaching style which you should look up before applying.

Sheffield is a bigger city than York if that’s something that interests you.
X

Quick Reply

Attached files
Write a reply...
Back
to top
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

What do you find most difficult about revising?

Prioritising what to revise (10)
10.42%
Remembering what was covered in lessons (1)
1.04%
Finding the time to revise (7)
7.29%
Finding the motivation (24)
25%
Getting distracted (14)
14.58%
Procrastination (39)
40.63%
Having the tools you need (0)
0%
Something else (tell us in the thread) (1)
1.04%

Watched Threads