The Student Room Group

Sexual health, please someone help?

I have been taking the combined rigevideon pill every day ( sometimes a few hours late) but never missed a pill but had unprotected sex 8 days ago, I have had light spotting today along with frequent urination, could I be pregnant? Or am I just worrying?

Edit - been on the pill 3 years and not experienced this before
(edited 2 years ago)

Scroll to see replies

Reply 1
I would pop to your local supermarket and buy a clearblue pregnancy test just to check.
I'm not a woman so I have no experience in this field, but consult with your parents and get their opinion, then ask your closest friends and get theirs.
Original post by Adz2042
I would pop to your local supermarket and buy a clearblue pregnancy test just to check.
I'm not a woman so I have no experience in this field, but consult with your parents and get their opinion, then ask your closest friends and get theirs.

I hope the sex was with a boyfriend of yours and not a random stranger.

Hi thanks for your reply, yes it was. I have read that if the pill is taken everyday that it is over 99% effective. Just can not help worrying
Original post by kelliemay1604
I have been taking the combined rigevideon pill every day ( sometimes a few hours late) but never missed a pill but had unprotected sex 8 days ago, I have had light spotting today along with frequent urination, could I be pregnant? Or am I just worrying?

If you had your ovalution day and then had unprotected sex within a 24 hour period then the chances of you getting pregnant is yes. If you had unprotected sex well after this period then I wouldn't think you will be pregnant.

After a while the contrecptive birth control pill will give some sort of light spotting around the time your periods are due which is normal and nothing to worry about.

For peace of mind I would suggest a pregnancy test about 7 - 10 days after you had your unprotected sex to be sure one way or another. Generally try to use a condom if you not planning to get pregnant as this way you'll be OK unless obviously a leaky / bust or ripped condom then you'll need to do a pregnancy test again about 7/10 days afterwards.

I'm a NHS registered midwife and hopefully this will help you ok.
Post update on things after you do a pregnancy test as hopefully it will be negative.

Below are some points about the contrecptive birth control ok. X

================================

Can rigevidon cause spotting..........
If you have bleeding between periods A small number of women may have a little breakthrough bleeding or spotting while taking Rigevidon, especially during the first few months. Normally, this bleeding is nothing to worry about, and will stop in a day or two.

Can you get pregnant even if you take the pill everyday.........
Birth control pills are considered effective, but not foolproof. They're about 99% effective when you take them correctly. But that's if you take them perfectly, meaning at the same time each and every day. If you don't, your odds of becoming pregnant go up to 9%

Can you have unprotected sex while spotting on birth control........
Unprotected sex during your bleed on the pill
Provided you take your contraceptive pill exactly as prescribed, you can safely have unprotected sex at any point, including your bleed. Your bleed is not the same as a normal period, but is a simulation of it
Original post by Tracey_W
If you had your ovalution day and then had unprotected sex within a 24 hour period then the chances of you getting pregnant is yes. If you had unprotected sex well after this period then I wouldn't think you will be pregnant.

After a while the contrecptive birth control pill will give some sort of light spotting around the time your periods are due which is normal and nothing to worry about.

For peace of mind I would suggest a pregnancy test about 7 - 10 days after you had your unprotected sex to be sure one way or another. Generally try to use a condom if you not planning to get pregnant as this way you'll be OK unless obviously a leaky / bust or ripped condom then you'll need to do a pregnancy test again about 7/10 days afterwards.

I'm a NHS registered midwife and hopefully this will help you ok.
Post update on things after you do a pregnancy test as hopefully it will be negative.

Below are some points about the contrecptive birth control ok. X

================================

Can rigevidon cause spotting..........
If you have bleeding between periods A small number of women may have a little breakthrough bleeding or spotting while taking Rigevidon, especially during the first few months. Normally, this bleeding is nothing to worry about, and will stop in a day or two.

Can you get pregnant even if you take the pill everyday.........
Birth control pills are considered effective, but not foolproof. They're about 99% effective when you take them correctly. But that's if you take them perfectly, meaning at the same time each and every day. If you don't, your odds of becoming pregnant go up to 9%

Can you have unprotected sex while spotting on birth control........
Unprotected sex during your bleed on the pill
Provided you take your contraceptive pill exactly as prescribed, you can safely have unprotected sex at any point, including your bleed. Your bleed is not the same as a normal period, but is a simulation of it

Thank you very much for your response! I have never missed a pill so believe I would not have ovulated at all, but I will definitely get a test just to make sure, thank you!
Reply 5
Thank you very much for your response! I have never missed a pill so believe I would not have ovulated at all, but I will definitely get a test just to make sure, thank you!

I wouldn't stress too much, it very unlikely you'll be pregnant if you're on the pill.

No probs.
Your ovalution day is generally about 12 - 14 days prior to your periods starting ( you'll need to know your date you actually of ovalution by doing a calculation check on this ) but it can vary when woman have this.

A pregnancy test would defo confirm one way or another for you.
I would expect it to come back negative,
People think as long as they on a contrecptive birth control method they won't get pregnant but unfortunately they are only 99% preventive of this leaving a 1% chance still of getting pregnant.

I would double check but spotting is natural and can also occur as a result of the pill. So realistically its probably nothing to worry about but it is worth checking for piece of mind. My period changed after the covid jab with the pill and I bled for a month whilst on rigevideon so a lot of things can impact it.
Original post by flamingolover
I would double check but spotting is natural and can also occur as a result of the pill. So realistically its probably nothing to worry about but it is worth checking for piece of mind. My period changed after the covid jab with the pill and I bled for a month whilst on rigevideon so a lot of things can impact it.

I actually had my second dose of the covid jab only 2 days ago I did have this in mind, however my first dose of the jab didn’t effect my bleeding x
Reply 9
People think as long as they on a contrecptive birth control method they won't get pregnant but unfortunately they are only 99% preventive of this leaving a 1% chance still of getting pregnant.

The 99% effective means you have a 1% chance of getting pregnant in a year so the chance of getting pregnant from a single sexual encounter is very small indeed.
I actually had my second dose of the covid jab only 2 days ago I did have this in mind, however my first dose of the jab didn’t effect my bleeding x

My first dose didn't affect anything either. It was the second dose that really impacted. I did a brief bit of research on it and a decent amount of women have experienced this. I can't say if it definitely is this or not but it is a possibility
Original post by EOData
The 99% effective means you have a 1% chance of getting pregnant in a year so the chance of getting pregnant from a single sexual encounter is very small indeed.

I have never missed a pill, there have been times were I have taken my pill 3-4 hours late but apart from that I would say I am a perfect user. Thank you for the reassurance! I guess sometimes it’s just mind over matter
Original post by flamingolover
My first dose didn't affect anything either. It was the second dose that really impacted. I did a brief bit of research on it and a decent amount of women have experienced this. I can't say if it definitely is this or not but it is a possibility

Thank you! I assume it’s nothing to worry about, as aswell as that the chances of getting pregnant on the pill are pretty low
Reply 13
I have never missed a pill, there have been times were I have taken my pill 3-4 hours late but apart from that I would say I am a perfect user. Thank you for the reassurance! I guess sometimes it’s just mind over matter

Years ago, before people got more worried about STDs, the majority of people used the pill for contraception without also using a condom. I don't know anyone who got pregnant when using it and I certainly didn't although I turned out to be amazingly fertile when I stopped taking the pill around 30.
Original post by EOData
Years ago, before people got more worried about STDs, the majority of people used the pill for contraception without also using a condom. I don't know anyone who got pregnant when using it and I certainly didn't although I turned out to be amazingly fertile when I stopped taking the pill around 30.

Thank you for your response! I have never missed a pill so hopefully I am just worrying for nothing!

Your ovalution day is generally about 12 - 14 days prior to your periods starting ( you'll need to know your date you actually of ovalution by doing a calculation check on this ) but it can vary when woman have this.

She should not be ovulating if she is on the combined pill. The bleed that you get with the combined pill is not technically a period, it is a withdrawal bleed.

OP, could you have a UTI/STI?
Original post by black tea
She should not be ovulating if she is on the combined pill. The bleed that you get with the combined pill is not technically a period, it is a withdrawal bleed.

OP, could you have a UTI/STI?

Could a UTI occur a week after sex ? TIA
Could a UTI occur a week after sex ? TIA

UTIs can occur at any time and do not have to be related to sex.

It’s highly unlikely that you’re pregnant. I’ve done the same thing before ( taken them a few hours late). I’ve been on rigivden ( however you spell it) for years and I actually never had spotting from it until recently. But I think it’s normal. It’s just what comes along with birth control I’m afraid….

Obviously if you’re concerned take a pregnancy taste :smile: but I’m sure you’re not!
Original post by Anonymous
It’s highly unlikely that you’re pregnant. I’ve done the same thing before ( taken them a few hours late). I’ve been on rigivden ( however you spell it) for years and I actually never had spotting from it until recently. But I think it’s normal. It’s just what comes along with birth control I’m afraid….

Obviously if you’re concerned take a pregnancy taste :smile: but I’m sure you’re not!

Thank you so much! I’m on the same combined pill as you, sometimes I double up on packs and have light spotting, but this time I have frequently felt the need to urinate a lot more than usual that’s why I was worrying! But tysm for your help

Quick Reply

Latest