The Student Room Group
Group Work, University of Portsmouth
University of Portsmouth
Portsmouth

Official University of Portsmouth 2022 Applicant Thread

Hi! :hello:

This is the thread for people who are thinking of applying to University of Portsmouth for 2022!

Meet and chat to other people applying here.

Ice breaker questions:
What course are you applying for?
What subjects are you studying now?

You can find a big list of all the other applicant threads here :biggrin:

Scroll to see replies

Original post by Evil Homer
Hi! :hello:

This is the thread for people who are thinking of applying to University of Portsmouth for 2022!

Meet and chat to other people applying here.

Ice breaker questions:
What course are you applying for?
What subjects are you studying now?

You can find a big list of all the other applicant threads here :biggrin:

HI!

I'm currently a student at the University of Portsmouth.

I studied criminology with criminal justice for my undergraduate. I am now studying for my masters in International Criminal Justice and Intelligence. So feel free to ask any questions about these courses.

Also, feel free to ask about the uni in general and what it's like to live in Portsmouth.

Best wishes
Chloe - Official Student Rep :wink:
Group Work, University of Portsmouth
University of Portsmouth
Portsmouth
Hi, applied for the MSc in Cyber Security and Forensic IT, Jan 2022 intake. Nervously waiting for the outcome of my application!
Original post by ahad.ashraff
Hi, applied for the MSc in Cyber Security and Forensic IT, Jan 2022 intake. Nervously waiting for the outcome of my application!

Hi!
Good luck with your application! I remember waiting for my response and I was constantly checking my emails!
I'm in my second year at UoP studying Film Production so feel free to let me know if you have any questions about the uni or the area, or anything in general (but I may not be very helpful when it comes to Cyber Security!).
Michaela - UoP Rep :smile:
Original post by University of Portsmouth Student Rep
Hi!
Good luck with your application! I remember waiting for my response and I was constantly checking my emails!
I'm in my second year at UoP studying Film Production so feel free to let me know if you have any questions about the uni or the area, or anything in general (but I may not be very helpful when it comes to Cyber Security!).

Hi Michaela, thanks for the response! It's been five business days since I applied, the postgrad applications site says they'll get back to me within 10. Hopefully that's an accurate timeline as there's so much to do before getting out of my home country.

I will let you know if I have any questions regarding the uni or the area, a little too nervous to think of anything right now haha.

Hi! @ahad.ashraff

Good luck with your application!

Chloe - Offical Student Rep :smile:
Hii I applied for journalism with media and have been made an offer which I can probably fulfil, anyone thinking of Portsmouth contact me and we can be friends :smile:
Hi Michaela, thanks for the response! It's been five business days since I applied, the postgrad applications site says they'll get back to me within 10. Hopefully that's an accurate timeline as there's so much to do before getting out of my home country.

I will let you know if I have any questions regarding the uni or the area, a little too nervous to think of anything right now haha.

Hi!
They are usually pretty good with responding within the timeline so I'm sure you'll have a response soon!
You can send a message whenever you need to and I, or one of my colleagues, will answer as best we can.
Michaela :smile:
Original post by Ambe.r817
Hii I applied for journalism with media and have been made an offer which I can probably fulfil, anyone thinking of Portsmouth contact me and we can be friends :smile:

Hi!
I do film production so we are in the same faculty and it's great!
Let me know if you have any questions :smile:
Michaela
Hi!
I do film production so we are in the same faculty and it's great!
Let me know if you have any questions :smile:
Michaela

No I'll be there tomorrow I'm traveling from Cornwall to see the open day 😂😂
Reply 10
Hi, I’ll most likely be starting at UoP in sept 22, construction engineering management.
Got my unconditional on Thursday!

Can’t wait to get started !
Original post by JoshC14
Hi, I’ll most likely be starting at UoP in sept 22, construction engineering management.
Got my unconditional on Thursday!

Can’t wait to get started !

Hi! @JoshC14

Congratulations on your offer!

Chloe - Official Student Rep :smile:
Hi Michaela, any tips on personal statement or portfolio for film production course?
Original post by HarrisonRJ
Hi Michaela, any tips on personal statement or portfolio for film production course?

Hi!
What sort of A levels or BTECs have you done?
If you did creative ones then definitely include the work you did in them on your portfolio. I used wix to make a free website for my portfolio. Because I hadn't done film or media at A level I included some things I'd done outside of school - poetry, music, photography, anything creative counts! They basically want to see that you are passionate about film and being creative - not necessarily that you've created loads of films already. Show artwork, concepts, scripts, anything that you have that comes from and inspires creativity.
In terms of your personal statement, talk about research that you've done to do with film, anything you've learnt about it. But also talk about things other than that. Talk about your hobbies and what skills you've learnt from them that can help with the course. Talk about how your A levels or BTECs have taught you things you can put into practice within film - even if they aren't directly related you can usually find a way to relate them in some way or another.
Let me know if you have any questions or want any more help!
Hi!
What sort of A levels or BTECs have you done?
If you did creative ones then definitely include the work you did in them on your portfolio. I used wix to make a free website for my portfolio. Because I hadn't done film or media at A level I included some things I'd done outside of school - poetry, music, photography, anything creative counts! They basically want to see that you are passionate about film and being creative - not necessarily that you've created loads of films already. Show artwork, concepts, scripts, anything that you have that comes from and inspires creativity.
In terms of your personal statement, talk about research that you've done to do with film, anything you've learnt about it. But also talk about things other than that. Talk about your hobbies and what skills you've learnt from them that can help with the course. Talk about how your A levels or BTECs have taught you things you can put into practice within film - even if they aren't directly related you can usually find a way to relate them in some way or another.
Let me know if you have any questions or want any more help!

Thanks so much. Can I ask what made you choose Portsmouth over other Film production courses and where else you considered? Thanks
Original post by HarrisonRJ
Thanks so much. Can I ask what made you choose Portsmouth over other Film production courses and where else you considered? Thanks

Of course!
One of the big things for me was the location. I'm from Birmingham so I'm used to the big city lifestyle but I also love the beach and the seaside - Portsmouth was the best of both worlds as it had both.
Have you come for an open day? If not then I really recommend it as that solidified my choice when I visited. They just have a tonne of facilities for film and loads of equipment too. I wanted both sides of film - the practical side but also some theory as I had never done it before. Portsmouth has a very practical course but it does also have the theory side of things too which was perfect for me.
I looked at a lot of places but my top 5 were Portsmouth, Worcester, Bournemouth Arts, Winchester and Derby.
Hi :smile:

I'm Katie, and I'm applying to Portsmouth for Politics and International Relations - hoping to submit the application by the end of the week!
Original post by kke.cr_
Hi :smile:

I'm Katie, and I'm applying to Portsmouth for Politics and International Relations - hoping to submit the application by the end of the week!

HI! @kke.cr_

If you need any help, feel free to ask.

Best wishes
Chloe - Official Student Rep :smile:
Hi Michaela what made you choose Portsmouth over AUB? Everything I read says it’s meant to be the top film school? Thanks
Original post by JazzyT57
Hi Michaela what made you choose Portsmouth over AUB? Everything I read says it’s meant to be the top film school? Thanks

Hi!
When I was looking at uni's, AUB didn't have their own student accommodation so that was definitely a big thing for me - although I believe that they do now.
Honestly I think it was just going to see the unis at open days that helped me make my decision. AUB was great, but Portsmouth just made me feel at home. I think sometimes it isn't necessarily just the course that helps you decide. Both AUB and UoP have great film production courses and I knew that I would have loved either one of them. But overall I loved the area of Portsmouth better. It felt much more like a place I wanted to spend 3 years living in, if that makes sense?
Both uni's have great facilities, industry standard equipment and software, and amazing lecturers.
I know its cliche to say but I got "the feeling" from being at Portsmouth compared to being at Bournemouth.
Hope this helps!

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending