Year 1 doesn't count towards my final degree - What happens to the modules in them?

Watch
Anonymous #1
Report Thread starter 1 month ago
So I'm wondering - Because Year 1 doesn't count towards my final degree - Will I be tested on year 1 content later (in 2nd or 3rd year) as part of my degree or not?

This will give me a good understanding of if by me studying the year 1 modules, it will help me in year 2 and 3 for exams or if those year 1 modules don't mean anything pm as long as you pass them at the end of the year.
martin7
Badges: 20
Rep:
? You'll earn badges for being active around the site. Rep gems come when your posts are rated by other community members.
Report 1 month ago
(Original post by Anonymous)
So I'm wondering - Because Year 1 doesn't count towards my final degree - Will I be tested on year 1 content later (in 2nd or 3rd year) as part of my degree or not?

This will give me a good understanding of if by me studying the year 1 modules, it will help me in year 2 and 3 for exams or if those year 1 modules don't mean anything pm as long as you pass them at the end of the year.
It depends. Some year 1 modules will be standalone, and not really relevant in years 2 or 3; other modules may teach you skills and techniques that get built on in subsequent years.
BlairPeach
Badges: 15
Rep:
? You'll earn badges for being active around the site. Rep gems come when your posts are rated by other community members.
Report 1 month ago
Depends on the University, most just require a simple pass rate (may vary depending on uni) to progress to year 2 and then are not used in overall final grading

Year 1 is mainly just to build a simple basic foundation for what you’ll be doing in Year 2 and 3.

If you want to do a placement year though, high grades in Year 1 helps you get a placement you prefer
GabiAbi84
Badges: 21
Rep:
Report 1 month ago
They don’t count towards your degree classification but they still count towards your degree. Most core modules will build upon knowledge on the previous years so the better you do in first year the more you will understand and the better you can feed that knowledge through to the years where your results do “count”
Anonymous #1
(Original post by martin7)
It depends. Some year 1 modules will be standalone, and not really relevant in years 2 or 3; other modules may teach you skills and techniques that get built on in subsequent years.
So I won't learn about the modules in year 1 in year 2 or 3 then? So none of the modules in year 1 will even count towards my degree even as in we just so a random exam on it in year 2/3?

(Original post by BlairPeach)
Depends on the University, most just require a simple pass rate (may vary depending on uni) to progress to year 2 and then are not used in overall final grading

Year 1 is mainly just to build a simple basic foundation for what you’ll be doing in Year 2 and 3.

If you want to do a placement year though, high grades in Year 1 helps you get a placement you prefer
Oh. Thanks then, as now I know I don't need to study ridiculous as none of the modules in year 1 mean anything towards my degree. Of course I'm still going to study but I was literally ignoring a social life mainly to make sure I'm studying enough before.
Anonymous #1
(Original post by GabiAbi84)
They don’t count towards your degree classification but they still count towards your degree. Most core modules will build upon knowledge on the previous years so the better you do in first year the more you will understand and the better you can feed that knowledge through to the years where your results do “count”
Ah thanks. So basically this year I can still have a social life as the modules from this year aren't meaning anything in second and third year.
BlairPeach
Badges: 15
Rep:
Report 1 month ago
So I won't learn about the modules in year 1 in year 2 or 3 then? So none of the modules in year 1 will even count towards my degree even as in we just so a random exam on it in year 2/3?

Oh. Thanks then, as now I know I don't need to study ridiculous as none of the modules in year 1 mean anything towards my degree. Of course I'm still going to study but I was literally ignoring a social life mainly to make sure I'm studying enough before.
One thing I would say is don’t work any less hard than you would in year 2 and 3 as just because your grading won’t be official, having a >70% grade will help you a lot in Y2 and 3 because you know more of the content from the previous year.

I can’t speak for your course but there was a lot of building upon models and taught content in the following years.

Just don’t stress about the grading and exams in Year 1 but definitely treat the revising and learning the same
GabiAbi84
Rep:
Report 1 month ago
Ah thanks. So basically this year I can still have a social life as the modules from this year aren't meaning anything in second and third year.
I’m not entirely sure how that’s what you took away from what I said tbh…??
Anonymous #1
I’m not entirely sure how that’s what you took away from what I said tbh…??
Yes because you said that the topics I study in first year aren't gonna be tested on in 2nd year. So basically I still need to revise but I don't need to sit revising all day like I was before. Which is good.
GabiAbi84
Rep:
Report 1 month ago
Yes because you said that the topics I study in first year aren't gonna be tested on in 2nd year. So basically I still need to revise but I don't need to sit revising all day like I was before. Which is good.
I didn’t say anything of the sort…
Anonymous #1
I didn’t say anything of the sort…
You basically did. Because you said that I'm not going to have a test on year 1 modules in year 2 and 3.
GabiAbi84
Rep:
Report 1 month ago
You basically did. Because you said that I'm not going to have a test on year 1 modules in year 2 and 3.
Again, I didn’t say that at all….
Admit-One
Rep:
Report 1 month ago
Here, I’ll help:
I would also note that anyone that looks at your transcript, (postgrad admissions, employment recruiter), will look at your year 1 grades.

No one is suggesting that you bin your social life, just that you strike a balance.
Desideri
Badges: 17
Rep:
Report 1 month ago
You won’t have an exam on 2nd year that is specifically on 1st year content.

But modules build on each other. For example, you might have a 1st year module on “Programming with Python” and then a 2nd year module on “Advanced Programming with Python”. If you don’t know the content from the 1st year module, you will do badly in the 2nd year module.
X

Quick Reply

Attached files
Write a reply...
Back
to top
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

How would you describe the quality of the digital skills you're taught at school?

Excellent (37)
9.56%
Okay (113)
29.2%
A bit lacking (146)
37.73%
Not good at all (91)
23.51%

Watched Threads