The Student Room Group
Learning at Imperial College London
Imperial College London
London

Physics at Imperial

Hey All! I've been looking into Imperial's MPhys Physics program and I like the course and the prospect of living @ London, but one thing that's stuck on my mind is the fact that Imperial's entry requirements are A*A*A with A*s in Math/Physics/Further Maths and A in a third subject preferably Chem. I've gotten 4As in my CAIE A Levels (Math,Phy,Chem,Econ dropped eco for A2). I've been predicted A*A* in Physics and Chem and A in Math. There were a lot of extenuating circumstances that prevented me from attending classes aside from COVID. (I was told that there was not enough evidences to give me an A* unless I skipped on Oxford so I could provide more evidences in December etc etc...) I requested my school to add info about my ECs in the reference and gave detailed info, but it was pretty last minute (as I was rushing to get my Oxford application in) so not really sure how detailed that part is.

TLDR: I don't particularly meet the entry requirement for Physics at Imperial, 2 grades are swapped. Will Imperial even "consider" my application considering I have a subjectively solid P.S and had ECs or will it get binned if I send one? I saw the acceptance rate (which I know is not the be all end all) is an ok-ish 25% so I don't wanna regret not considering applying.

P.S: I've applied to Oxford and Southampton, I'll know before I send my application in Jan whether I got into Oxford and *hopefully* will have heard from Southampton. If Southampton offers me a place it'll most likely be my safety, so I'll probably be ok with applying to reach uni's like Imperial.
Reply 1
****4As in my AS Level oops!
Learning at Imperial College London
Imperial College London
London
@Sinnoh might have some ideas?

I think generally speaking it may well be that you are considered, but set the standard offer requiring one of the A*s be in maths. That said I imagine most applicants are taking maths and further maths and are predicted at last one A* in those two subjects so not having the A* in Maths or having FM at all may be a concern for them (unless your school doesn't offer FM, in which case your referee should explain this in their reference).
Reply 3
Original post by artful_lounger
@Sinnoh might have some ideas?

I think generally speaking it may well be that you are considered, but set the standard offer requiring one of the A*s be in maths. That said I imagine most applicants are taking maths and further maths and are predicted at last one A* in those two subjects so not having the A* in Maths or having FM at all may be a concern for them (unless your school doesn't offer FM, in which case your referee should explain this in their reference).

Ah well regarding the last part, my school does not offer Further Maths, but unfortunately I'm the first ever from my school to ever attempt to study Physics or even STEM at a pretty high level in the UK, so neither my referee nor I was aware that this had to be mentioned in the reference letter and sent it off already. I just got my mail from Oxford regarding any additional information that I may wish to provide, I wasn't sure if I should bring it up or if it would not paint the best picture :frown: I'm in a bit of a jam where my school pretty much has said "We know you are a student who can and most likely will get an A* in Math, you have the potential for it, but we do not have the evidence for it" it's a bit more complicated and it has to do with my circumstances so I agree with my school's decision, but the problem is still there : (
No one can give you a definitive answer. You’ve already applied, all you can do is hope for the best. Keep in mind though that you’re not a ‘strong’ applicant because of the lack of an A* in maths and the lack of FM. May I know your PUM for AS level Maths?
Reply 5
Original post by Anonymous(
No one can give you a definitive answer. You’ve already applied, all you can do is hope for the best. Keep in mind though that you’re not a ‘strong’ applicant because of the lack of an A* in maths and the lack of FM. May I know your PUM for AS level Maths?

Hi! Well I haven't applied to Imperial yet, that's what this thread is for haha. And yeah, I agree that just because someone here said no/yes I will/will not get in that's what will happen, but I'd like some informed opinions on it cause I have very little info to go off on my own. I got a 93/100 PUM in my AS Math! (my AS Math happened to be the very first CAIE exam I ever wrote as I did not do IGCSEs, and I'm pretty sure I lost like 5 marks in my Pure Math 1 just to signficant figures because I wasn't too sure how they worked ;-; sounds dumb yeah I know but I did not know what past papers were until 5 days before the test when I spent a week at school before the test amidst COVID. Might actually consider retaking it to see if I could boost it a bit higher!
Original post by Anonymous
Ah well regarding the last part, my school does not offer Further Maths, but unfortunately I'm the first ever from my school to ever attempt to study Physics or even STEM at a pretty high level in the UK, so neither my referee nor I was aware that this had to be mentioned in the reference letter and sent it off already. I just got my mail from Oxford regarding any additional information that I may wish to provide, I wasn't sure if I should bring it up or if it would not paint the best picture :frown: I'm in a bit of a jam where my school pretty much has said "We know you are a student who can and most likely will get an A* in Math, you have the potential for it, but we do not have the evidence for it" it's a bit more complicated and it has to do with my circumstances so I agree with my school's decision, but the problem is still there : (

You should tell them if you are given the opportunity otherwise they will just assume FM was available to you and you chose not to take it, which is far worse from their perspective than simply being unable to take it because it wasn't available...not much can be done about Imperial though unless you get interviewed in which case you may want to mention it somehow?
Reply 7
Original post by artful_lounger
You should tell them if you are given the opportunity otherwise they will just assume FM was available to you and you chose not to take it, which is far worse from their perspective than simply being unable to take it because it wasn't available...not much can be done about Imperial though unless you get interviewed in which case you may want to mention it somehow?

That's fair, I'll ask my school tomorrow if they can prepare an official statement declaring that my school does not offer Further Maths and see if I can get it sent to the undergraduate admissions officer for my college!
Reply 8
TLDR: I don't particularly meet the entry requirement for Physics at Imperial, 2 grades are swapped. Will Imperial even "consider" my application considering I have a subjectively solid P.S and had ECs or will it get binned if I send one? I saw the acceptance rate (which I know is not the be all end all) is an ok-ish 25% so I don't wanna regret not considering applying.

Just found out that the offer rate is actually closer to 40% and close to only a 3rd accept/get in, well hey that improved my hope a bit!!!
Reply 9
Overall the offer rate I think is 30-something %. It appears higher for MSci, but I suspect that's more to do with the applicants themselves.
It sounds like your reference would be quite strong (that's where they should mention that the school doesn't do FM), and with the admissions test they've added you'll have an extra chance to prove yourself.
They're using a gathered field now, so no offers will be made before the admissions test happens in February.
Basically I'd say it's worth applying. Southampton will be quite safe, they might drag their heels on your application if you don't attend their visit days though...
Original post by Sinnoh
Overall the offer rate I think is 30-something %. It appears higher for MSci, but I suspect that's more to do with the applicants themselves.
It sounds like your reference would be quite strong (that's where they should mention that the school doesn't do FM), and with the admissions test they've added you'll have an extra chance to prove yourself.
They're using a gathered field now, so no offers will be made before the admissions test happens in February.
Basically I'd say it's worth applying. Southampton will be quite safe, they might drag their heels on your application if you don't attend their visit days though...

Hii! Yea, well I didn't get to look at my reference for obvious reasons but I did get to discuss with my teachers about my past interactions with them which they could possibly use to refer to my academic interests, so I guess it'll be solid. Still kinda sucks that none of us knew it had to be mentioned there that the school doesn't offer further maths there before I sent it off :/ Do you reckon I should mail my oxford college about it?
I've heard bits about the possible admission test, do you know where I can get more info? It's mildly relieving that I get another avenue to potentially sell my application better like with the PAT in Oxford (For which I have been working the living mitochondria out of my last 2 brain cells HAHA).

Welp I'm an international student so I suppose I'll be a sitting duck when it comes to Southampton
Hii! Yea, well I didn't get to look at my reference for obvious reasons but I did get to discuss with my teachers about my past interactions with them which they could possibly use to refer to my academic interests, so I guess it'll be solid. Still kinda sucks that none of us knew it had to be mentioned there that the school doesn't offer further maths there before I sent it off :/ Do you reckon I should mail my oxford college about it?
I've heard bits about the possible admission test, do you know where I can get more info? It's mildly relieving that I get another avenue to potentially sell my application better like with the PAT in Oxford (For which I have been working the living mitochondria out of my last 2 brain cells HAHA).

Welp I'm an international student so I suppose I'll be a sitting duck when it comes to Southampton

It's an online exam in February, that's pretty much all I know. I've applied there too.
How's your PAT prep going?
Original post by Htx_x346
It's an online exam in February, that's pretty much all I know. I've applied there too.
How's your PAT prep going?

oo I See, thanks for the info, and good luck to you even though we're most likely going to be competing hehehe!!

Could be worse... but it's looking grim... Gonna have to overwork this week ;-;
oo I See, thanks for the info, and good luck to you even though we're most likely going to be competing hehehe!!

Could be worse... but it's looking grim... Gonna have to overwork this week ;-;

Ah thanks good luck to you too!! Don't worry I'm not going to be much competition ahahah the papers are just too hard imo.
Reply 14

Ahhh I didn't realise that you had already sent off your application.

To clarify, not attending Southampton's visit days won't make it less likely for you to get an offer. But when I applied they kept me waiting until December, when other people heard back much sooner.
Original post by Sinnoh
Ahhh I didn't realise that you had already sent off your application.

To clarify, not attending Southampton's visit days won't make it less likely for you to get an offer. But when I applied they kept me waiting until December, when other people heard back much sooner.

yeah unfortunately :frown: I'd assume ucas wouldn't be happy if we request for an edit would they?

Oh ok that makes more sense, hopefully i hear back before Jan 15th haha
Hi! Well I haven't applied to Imperial yet, that's what this thread is for haha. And yeah, I agree that just because someone here said no/yes I will/will not get in that's what will happen, but I'd like some informed opinions on it cause I have very little info to go off on my own. I got a 93/100 PUM in my AS Math! (my AS Math happened to be the very first CAIE exam I ever wrote as I did not do IGCSEs, and I'm pretty sure I lost like 5 marks in my Pure Math 1 just to signficant figures because I wasn't too sure how they worked ;-; sounds dumb yeah I know but I did not know what past papers were until 5 days before the test when I spent a week at school before the test amidst COVID. Might actually consider retaking it to see if I could boost it a bit higher!

haha, I didn't realise that! A PUM of 93 is actually quite good, especially after considering your circumstances. You ideally should've been predicted an A* in maths, but there's nothing you can do about it now. Definitely apply, but you should somehow inform both Oxford and Imperial that your school doesn't offer FM, this is extremely important.
Original post by Anonymous(
haha, I didn't realise that! A PUM of 93 is actually quite good, especially after considering your circumstances. You ideally should've been predicted an A* in maths, but there's nothing you can do about it now. Definitely apply, but you should somehow inform both Oxford and Imperial that your school doesn't offer FM, this is extremely important.

thanks! Yeah I guess it's unfortunate but can't do much but shrug. I talked to my school about FM, they were actually pretty understanding and said they'll print out a statement that our school doesn't have FM, and I'll send it to the undergraduate admissions officer and fingers crossed they'll take it into account.
Sorry for bringing a week old thread back to life, but I got a reply from my undergraduate admissions officer a couple of days ago and I had a doubt about it :| Basically, I explained the whole fiasco to the ug officer and they thanked me for letting them know and that they would forward the mail to the physics department so that they can consider it. I had included a line that the school is willing to provide a statement if needed to help my case, and in my follow up email to their reply a couple of days later I requested them to contact me if any proof was required but got no reply. Is their reply to my request considered a confirmation mail that the info WILL be added to my application or is it still in "consideration". I can't tell if im fussing over non-existent fine details but I also don't want to end up losing out on technicality because the mail isn't an official declaration. Thanks!
Sorry for bringing a week old thread back to life, but I got a reply from my undergraduate admissions officer a couple of days ago and I had a doubt about it :| Basically, I explained the whole fiasco to the ug officer and they thanked me for letting them know and that they would forward the mail to the physics department so that they can consider it. I had included a line that the school is willing to provide a statement if needed to help my case, and in my follow up email to their reply a couple of days later I requested them to contact me if any proof was required but got no reply. Is their reply to my request considered a confirmation mail that the info WILL be added to my application or is it still in "consideration". I can't tell if im fussing over non-existent fine details but I also don't want to end up losing out on technicality because the mail isn't an official declaration. Thanks!

Hey, did you end up getting an offer from Imperial/Oxford?

Quick Reply