it's so ****ing cold! swimming pool advice?

Watch
Sabertooth
Badges: 20
Rep:
? You'll earn badges for being active around the site. Rep gems come when your posts are rated by other community members.
Report Thread starter 4 weeks ago
(Original post by jacksonsmith1)
Change your gym
It's the only pool in town.
ReadingMum
Badges: 18
Rep:
? You'll earn badges for being active around the site. Rep gems come when your posts are rated by other community members.
Report 4 weeks ago
(Original post by Sabertooth)
The pool at my gym is broken and it isn't heated. It is unbelievably cold.

i did some research and depending on temperature, I shouldn't swim for more than 20 minutes in 12C. If I'm still cold after 10 minutes swimming it says to get out.

On Friday I did 12 minutes and was shivering. When I got out and showered I was shivering then it was 26C outside on my walk to my car - still shaking. I had to put the heat on full all the way home.

Thing is, I have no idea if I'm just overreacting as I have no way to measure the temperature of the pool. I want to lose weight and I'm unsure if I need to man up or if this is a bad idea. Am I a pussy?
It sounds like it is too cold for a long swim session. My friend who swims outdoors all year round has built up her tolerance to this - you don't just go in without prep. She doesn't wear a wetsuit - just normal swimsuit plus hat and bootees - but she has acclimatised gradually and built up over time.
I would find another way to exercise till the pool heating is fixed.
Sabertooth
Rep:
(Original post by ReadingMum)
It sounds like it is too cold for a long swim session. My friend who swims outdoors all year round has built up her tolerance to this - you don't just go in without prep. She doesn't wear a wetsuit - just normal swimsuit plus hat and bootees - but she has acclimatised gradually and built up over time.
I would find another way to exercise till the pool heating is fixed.
Thank you for the advice. I'm going to be lifting weights until the pool is fixed. Even though it's very annoying I can't work out.
jacksonsmith1
Badges: 12
Rep:
Report 4 weeks ago
It's the only pool in town.
Than you should stop using the pool until its fixed
username5850540
Badges: 10
Rep:
Report 4 weeks ago
I am in my university’s swim team .. the pool had broken a couple of times and it gets supper cold. After a while your body gets regulated to the temp. How long do you swim for and what do you usually do like length of the pool wise like laps ? Is getting out of the pool the part that makes you really cold or the dive in ?
Sabertooth
Rep:
(Original post by MissAngel232)
I am in my university’s swim team .. the pool had broken a couple of times and it gets supper cold. After a while your body gets regulated to the temp. How long do you swim for and what do you usually do like length of the pool wise like laps ? Is getting out of the pool the part that makes you really cold or the dive in ?
Hey,

I usually swim for about 50 minutes but recently I just can't. Getting in the pool and doing laps are the areas I feel most cold. I don't get used to the temperature I continue to feel cold even in the warm locker room shower and then the heat in my car on full.
username5850540
Badges: 10
Rep:
Report 4 weeks ago
Hey,

I usually swim for about 50 minutes but recently I just can't. Getting in the pool and doing laps are the areas I feel most cold. I don't get used to the temperature I continue to feel cold even in the warm locker room shower and then the heat in my car on full.
Hmm that’s interesting 🤨 yeah if you get cold then yeah I was stop swimming for a while and wait for the pool to get fixed
Sabertooth
Rep:
(Original post by MissAngel232)
Hmm that’s interesting 🤨 yeah if you get cold then yeah I was stop swimming for a while and wait for the pool to get fixed
Yeah, I'm gonna give it a break for now. What's weird is that I swam 14 lengths and was still freezing cold. I would have thought I'd get used to it.:/
Bookworm_88
Badges: 19
Rep:
Report 4 weeks ago
(Original post by nikkiblonsky)
try other ways of losing weight?(Like different types of excercise like running taking up a sport etc)
This is like the first time I've seen you post something meaningful rather than gucci lmaooo
Sabertooth
Rep:
Report Thread starter 3 weeks ago
**** it, I'm going swimming tonight. I have put some pounds on by not working out for like 3 weeks so **** this **** I will go no matter how cold it is.
Smeraldettoi
Badges: 17
Rep:
Report 3 weeks ago
It's way above 2 degrees but I have no way of measuring it.

I didn't go yesterday as the idea of swimming in the freezing pool made me avoid it. But it's a pain in the ass as I want to lose weight Just thinking about shivering in the car on the way home and how unpleasant that is.
I’m not really sure what else I can say tbh… either suck it up and do it or don’t
Sabertooth
Rep:
It was absolutely freezing but I did a mile. Hell yeah!
Lacrimosa1
Badges: 16
Rep:
Report 3 weeks ago
The pool at my gym is broken and it isn't heated. It is unbelievably cold.

i did some research and depending on temperature, I shouldn't swim for more than 20 minutes in 12C. If I'm still cold after 10 minutes swimming it says to get out.

On Friday I did 12 minutes and was shivering. When I got out and showered I was shivering then it was 26C outside on my walk to my car - still shaking. I had to put the heat on full all the way home.

Thing is, I have no idea if I'm just overreacting as I have no way to measure the temperature of the pool. I want to lose weight and I'm unsure if I need to man up or if this is a bad idea. Am I a pussy?
Why do you need a swimming suit when you can superglue 200 handwarmers all over your body
Sabertooth
Rep:
(Original post by Lacrimosa1)
Why do you need a swimming suit when you can superglue 200 handwarmers all over your body
I'm fat so it'll take more than 200. And they are expensive!
X

Quick Reply

Attached files
Write a reply...
Back
to top
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

How would you describe the quality of the digital skills you're taught at school?

Excellent (13)
9.03%
Okay (43)
29.86%
A bit lacking (51)
35.42%
Not good at all (37)
25.69%

Watched Threads

Latest
My Feed