The Student Room Group
Students at Cornwall campus, University of Exeter
University of Exeter
Exeter

Live music scene in Exeter

Hey, I am considering applying to Exeter uni, and wanted to know what the live music scene is like in Exeter?? I love going to concerts, and I live close to London which is where all the artists are guaranteed to go to, so I'm used to easily being able to get to a venue for a show that I wanna see and I'm guaranteed to have a show close to home if an artist tours in the UK. I wanna still be able to go to loads of concerts if I live in Exeter, so I just wanted to know if it's a good location for seeing live music ??
It's not the best for seeing big artists, but a lot of smaller bands play at Cavern if that's what you're into. For bigger artists you can travel to Bristol in about an hour and a half
Students at Cornwall campus, University of Exeter
University of Exeter
Exeter
Original post by randomperson244
Hey, I am considering applying to Exeter uni, and wanted to know what the live music scene is like in Exeter?? I love going to concerts, and I live close to London which is where all the artists are guaranteed to go to, so I'm used to easily being able to get to a venue for a show that I wanna see and I'm guaranteed to have a show close to home if an artist tours in the UK. I wanna still be able to go to loads of concerts if I live in Exeter, so I just wanted to know if it's a good location for seeing live music ??

https://event.exeter.ac.uk/organise/event-services/live-music
Hi I'm in the same situation as you so i was wondering if you've found anything else out/ what you've decided? When I went to visit Exeter I walked past Cavern and it seems really well-established in the indie/punk scenes
Hi, Cavern is a great place to go to local gigs and it's starting back up pretty well after COVID. we also have a venue in Exeter called Phoenix, which also holds bands, and through the university there are sometimes dj sets and live music at the Lemon Grove. If you're looking for big venue events Bristol is really easy to get to on the train for more mainstream music and concerts! Hope this helps
Original post by lamanai_blue
Hi I'm in the same situation as you so i was wondering if you've found anything else out/ what you've decided? When I went to visit Exeter I walked past Cavern and it seems really well-established in the indie/punk scenes

Hello @lamanai_blue and @randomperson244!
Original post by ExeterStudentRep
Hi, Cavern is a great place to go to local gigs and it's starting back up pretty well after COVID. we also have a venue in Exeter called Phoenix, which also holds bands, and through the university there are sometimes dj sets and live music at the Lemon Grove. If you're looking for big venue events Bristol is really easy to get to on the train for more mainstream music and concerts! Hope this helps

As my co-worker mentioned above, Bristol is quite accessible! Also in addition to Cavern, the Pheonix, and the occasional other live music events in Exeter, there tend to be quite a lot of open mic nights with lots of local talent in pubs and bars if that's your scene. I went to a really good one at the Ships Inn the other night, and had a ton of fun! Also, it is relatively accessible to get back to London by train (it's about 2 and a half hours and you can get relatively good prices if you take super off-peak), or oftentimes people may carpool together to certain events as well!

Let me know if you have any more questions.

All the best,
Melissa, University of Exeter Student Representative

Quick Reply