The Student Room Group

Psychology Conversion MSc Programs for International Students?

Have any international students applied for a psychology conversion MSc in the UK before? What was the process like and did you enjoy the program?

I'm from Canada and I am currently in the process of sending my application to a few schools: Cardiff, Glasgow, Exeter, Sussex and Birkbeck. Any insights on any of these schools?

Thanks! :smile:
Reply 1
Original post by rfma
Have any international students applied for a psychology conversion MSc in the UK before? What was the process like and did you enjoy the program?

I'm from Canada and I am currently in the process of sending my application to a few schools: Cardiff, Glasgow, Exeter, Sussex and Birkbeck. Any insights on any of these schools?

Thanks! :smile:

Hi!
I am an international student and had applied for conversion course this month for Sept 2022 intake in the UK. I already got an offer from Glasgow, Exeter and Nottingham.
I can't tell you if i enjoyed the program as my studies haven't begun yet.

But, if you want I can help you by answering your queries related to the application process. :smile:
(edited 2 years ago)
Reply 2
Original post by himadrigosain
Hi!
I am an international student and had applied for conversion course this month for Sept 2022 intake in the UK. I already got an offer from Glasgow, Exeter and Nottingham.
I can't tell you if i enjoyed the program as my studies hasn't begun yet.

But, if you want I can help you by answering your queries related to the application process. :smile:

That's awesome, thanks! How long was the wait before your offer arrived? Curious if you have decided on a school yet? :smile:
Reply 3
Original post by rfma
That's awesome, thanks! How long was the wait before your offer arrived? Curious if you have decided on a school yet? :smile:

Nottingham replied in a week. Glasgow and Exeter took two weeks.
I think I was an early applicant so got the response pretty soon. However, you should wait for at least 35 working days to hear back from any university.

Honestly, I am confused between Glasgow and Nottingham. I love the campus of Glasgow and it has better ranking if I compare it with Nottingham. Plus, I always wanted to visit Scotland so this seems like a good opportunity lol. But, I heard the crime rate in Glasgow is quite high (not sure if it's true) and weather can be gloomy/unbearable. I personally am not fond of cold weather so that's a bummer.
Nottingham's weather seems good and the campus is huge. If I go by the data their graduate employment rate seems better than Glasgow.

Both are great universities so it is extremely difficult to choose one. Even their course structure is quite similar. I think I need more time to think but I feel my inclination is towards Glasgow as of now.

I am not considering Exeter because both Nott. and Glas. are much better than Exeter in every aspect and I don't wanna live in countryside.

Hope it helps! Feel free to ask if you have any questions.

What are you considering? Are you done with the application process?
Reply 4
I think I was an early applicant so got the response pretty soon. However, you should wait for at least 35 working days to hear back from any university.

Honestly, I am confused between Glasgow and Nottingham. I love the campus of Glasgow and it has better ranking if I compare it with Nottingham. Plus, I always wanted to visit Scotland so this seems like a good opportunity lol. But, I heard the crime rate in Glasgow is quite high (not sure if it's true) and weather can be gloomy/unbearable. I personally am not fond of cold weather so that's a bummer.
Nottingham's weather seems good and the campus is huge. If I go by the data their graduate employment rate seems better than Glasgow.

Both are great universities so it is extremely difficult to choose one. Even their course structure is quite similar. I think I need more time to think but I feel my inclination is towards Glasgow as of now.

I am not considering Exeter because both Nott. and Glas. are much better than Exeter in every aspect and I don't wanna live in countryside.

That's super helpful, thanks! I am still in the middle of my personal statements and am hoping to finish my application process by mid-November and hear back from schools by the end of the year. So it sounds like my estimated timeline is pretty realistic.

I'm not sure whether the country you are from uses GPA for your undergrad studies? For me, it was GPA-based and when converting that to the "2:1 honours" requirement, I think I might actually be a bit shy of their admission criteria. Are you comfortable with sharing the approximate grades you had from you undergrad as a benchmark?

My top choices (if I get offers) would be Cardiff and Glasgow. Similar reasons to you for Glasgow, but Cardiff has a placement module that seems interesting. Out of all the conversion programs I've researched Cardiff seems to be one of the only ones that offer this. But I still have some ways to go before I can make a final decision!
Reply 5
Original post by rfma
That's super helpful, thanks! I am still in the middle of my personal statements and am hoping to finish my application process by mid-November and hear back from schools by the end of the year. So it sounds like my estimated timeline is pretty realistic.

I'm not sure whether the country you are from uses GPA for your undergrad studies? For me, it was GPA-based and when converting that to the "2:1 honours" requirement, I think I might actually be a bit shy of their admission criteria. Are you comfortable with sharing the approximate grades you had from you undergrad as a benchmark?

My top choices (if I get offers) would be Cardiff and Glasgow. Similar reasons to you for Glasgow, but Cardiff has a placement module that seems interesting. Out of all the conversion programs I've researched Cardiff seems to be one of the only ones that offer this. But I still have some ways to go before I can make a final decision!

That's great. Make sure you keep this in mind:
Follow the word limit. They are very strict about it. Font: Times New Roman, Size: 11
You LoR should be on college letterhead.
Don't skip the work experience column. Even internships are considered.
Check thrice before submitting your application.

I wish you all the very best!

Yes, my country (India) has GPA system on a 10 point scale for undergrad studies.
If your GPA is,
7 or above then it's a First class honours (in the UK).
GPA 6-7 is 2:1 or Upper Second Class honours.
GPA 5-6 is 2:2 or Lower Second Class honours.
The academic requirement for conversion course is mostly a 2:1 honours degree ie, GPA 6 or above. If you fall in this category then you are good to go. I don't think it'd be problem. The rest of the application will depend on your Letter of Recommendation and Personal Statement.
In my undergrad, I had a score of 6.878 (2:1/Upper Second Class in the UK). Hope it will give a rough idea.

Yes, I totally get it. I applied to Cardiff but haven't heard from them yet. That placement thing really is tempting ngl hahah. I am still waiting for their response so let's see. Their management is pretty slow tbh. AND, their portal isn't working well. I am not able to login and don't know the status of my application. Idk if there's a glitch or something but I have written them an email regarding the issue. It's been two weeks and they haven't replied. Just giving you a heads up.
Lmk if you have any other questions!

If you don't mind me asking which country are you from? :smile:
(edited 2 years ago)
Reply 6
That's great. Make sure you keep this in mind:
Follow the word limit. They are very strict about it. Font: Times New Roman, Size: 11
You LoR should be on college letterhead.
Don't skip the work experience column. Even internships are considered.
Check thrice before submitting your application.

I wish you all the very best!

Yes, my country (India) has GPA system on a 10 point scale for undergrad studies.
If your GPA is,
7 or above then it's a First class honours (in the UK).
GPA 6-7 is 2:1 or Upper Second Class honours.
GPA 5-6 is 2:2 or Lower Second Class honours.
The academic requirement for conversion course is mostly a 2:1 honours degree ie, GPA 6 or above. If you fall in this category then you are good to go. I don't think it'd be problem. The rest of the application will depend on your Letter of Recommendation and Personal Statement.
In my undergrad, I had a score of 6.878 (2:1/Upper Second Class in the UK). Hope it will give a rough idea.

Yes, I totally get it. I applied to Cardiff but haven't heard from them yet. That placement thing really is tempting ngl hahah. I am still waiting for their response so let's see. Their management is pretty slow tbh. AND, their portal isn't working well. I am not able to login and don't know the status of my application. Idk if there's a glitch or something but I have written them an email regarding the issue. It's been two weeks and they haven't replied. Just giving you a heads up.
Lmk if you have any other questions!

If you don't mind me asking which country are you from? :smile:

Definitely helpful references and reminders! It's good to know that you are also applying to Cardiff! hahah seems like we have a lot of overlapping schools :smile: Thanks for the heads up about their slow process and good luck! Hope you hear from them soon.

Speaking of Cardiff, it seems like their application doesn't require a reference?? Is that actually true? I read that like 5 times but I'm still a bit in shock. Also, it seems like Glasgow doesn't ask for a personal statement anywhere...just a reference and experience/CV?

I'm from Canada! :smile:
Reply 7
Original post by rfma
Definitely helpful references and reminders! It's good to know that you are also applying to Cardiff! hahah seems like we have a lot of overlapping schools :smile: Thanks for the heads up about their slow process and good luck! Hope you hear from them soon.

Speaking of Cardiff, it seems like their application doesn't require a reference?? Is that actually true? I read that like 5 times but I'm still a bit in shock. Also, it seems like Glasgow doesn't ask for a personal statement anywhere...just a reference and experience/CV?

I'm from Canada! :smile:

Thank you so much! I’m sure we’ll bump into each other at some point haha.

Yes, it's true. Cardiff only asks for a CV, SoP and LoR along with academic transcripts.
Glasgow will ask for a Personal Statement. It is mandatory. You need to attach that file in Supporting Documents.
(I didn't submit a CV but completed the Work Ex column)

I just realised Canada has a 4 point GPA system. I'm so sorry the information shared above isn't that useful.
(edited 2 years ago)
Reply 8
Hi!

hello, i would like to have some help I'm also an international student and i would like to go through the process but i don't know how to start I've already chosen universities to apply for
Reply 9
Original post by mayzi
hello, i would like to have some help I'm also an international student and i would like to go through the process but i don't know how to start I've already chosen universities to apply for

Hi! I'd recommend you to firstly check the entry requirements of the course you wish to apply of each university.
Start preparing your SoP and ask your professors to write an LoR for you.
Scan your transcripts and passport.
If english is not your first language then you need to give IELTS/TOEFL.

These are the common documents that you'd need to submit while applying.

Hope this helps! if you have any specific questions feel free to ask. :smile:
Reply 10
Original post by mayzi

Hello! If you don't mind, would you be able to share some of the schools that you are interested in applying for? Different schools have different requirements, if there are some schools that are overlapping with the ones I'm applying to, then I can help answer any specific questions you might have. :smile:
Original post by gruzenka
Hi!

Hi! I would love to know about your experience as I am in the midst of applying to colleges myself.
Hello!

I finished my MSc Psychology conversion at Arden University last year and I had a great time. In terms of looking at Universities in the UK, I would like at both their report from the QAA (a quality body a bit like Ofsted) and their Teaching Excellence Framework Report - both readily available online. This will give you a good quality non-bias view.

Check that the program is registered with the BPS - Arden's is, and has blended and 100% online options.

If you choose online as an option, pick a provider with a great VLE (virtual learning environment) which gives you access to lots of journals - you might ask about this at open day

Marc
Arden University Student Ambassador
Original post by gruzenka

Hey! I was wondering why you mentioned that glasgow and nottingham are better than exeter in every aspect? have you heard bad reviews about the university of exeter? I am really curious because i’m planning to pursue my conversion masters at exeter. So it’s be really helpful if you can share what you think of it! :smile:

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending