Need help understanding quantitative/qualitative research methods

Watch this thread
Lizz.98
Badges: 9
Rep:
? You'll earn badges for being active around the site. Rep gems come when your posts are rated by other community members.
Report Thread starter 6 months ago
Hey,
I am currently doing a research proposal but am struggling to grasp whether the following method is quantitative/qualitative.

I am looking to analyse existing data on crime to analyse the effectiveness of certain policies.

If I were to do this using numerical data available online and create a graph to depict the correlation between crime and policies, what type of research would this be?

From what I have seen in class, quantitative is based upon surveys and experimental research, which my aforementioned method is neither, and qualitative includes interviews/focus groups, of which my method is neither.

Superr confused and a newbie to research methods - can anybody help?
bleeblahbleh
Badges: 14
Rep:
? You'll earn badges for being active around the site. Rep gems come when your posts are rated by other community members.
Report 6 months ago
(Original post by Lizz.98)
Hey,
I am currently doing a research proposal but am struggling to grasp whether the following method is quantitative/qualitative.

I am looking to analyse existing data on crime to analyse the effectiveness of certain policies.

If I were to do this using numerical data available online and create a graph to depict the correlation between crime and policies, what type of research would this be?

From what I have seen in class, quantitative is based upon surveys and experimental research, which my aforementioned method is neither, and qualitative includes interviews/focus groups, of which my method is neither.

The way I was taught it is to remember the root words - quantity = numbers, quality = words. I would say it is quantitative as it's numerical. I hope that helped
Reality Check
Badges: 22
Rep:
Report 6 months ago
(Original post by Lizz.98)
Hey,

To add to your confusion, a lot of research in the social sciences is 'mixed methods' which combines quantitative and qualitative research methods. For instance, your main study design might be qualitative using focus groups/structured interviews, but these might be keyed and analysed quantitatively.

Your description of this is quantitative:

Essentially, beware of trying to pigeonhole all research into either qual or quant. In real life, most social sciences uses elements of both types. I think you really need to go back to brass tacks and have a look at the different types of research methods and some features and benefits of each. I don't know what resources you're using, but I'd get a couple of introductory books relevant to your area of study to help you in this.
Anonymous #1
Report 6 months ago
If your data can be put into a graph form or categorised then it is quantitative
X

Quick Reply

Attached files
Write a reply...
Back
to top
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

How did your AQA GCSE English Language Paper 1 go?

Loved the paper - Feeling positive (70)
19.34%
The paper was reasonable (134)
37.02%
Not feeling great about that exam... (106)
29.28%
It was TERRIBLE (52)
14.36%

Watched Threads