English Literature Essay

Watch this thread
leena_1473
Badges: 6
Rep:
? You'll earn badges for being active around the site. Rep gems come when your posts are rated by other community members.
Report Thread starter 9 months ago
I would like to have some feedback with a rough estimate of my mark.

Starting with this extract, how does Dickens present a change in Scrooge?

Charles Dickens was enraged at the injustice and inequality for the masses during the Victorian era. This novella as a whole is a political diatribe that is meant to criticize society’s attitudes towards the poor. So, he constructed the archetypal selfish Victorian man in Scrooge. Scrooge has a small number of people in his life who dismiss his coldness and treat him with kindness yet he prefers to remain alone. This is unusual for the time of the Christmas spirit as it’s a time of giving and togetherness. He later learns to be altruistic. Scrooge represents Dickens’ target audience. Dickens uses background characters to remind Scrooge of how he should have more gratitude and be more generous. He eventually learns this lesson.

In this extract, Scrooge is reminiscent of his old ways before he was miserable. This is illustrated when Scrooge “enjoyed everything”. This insinuates that Scrooge misses the man that he once was because of the first demonstration of happiness from Scrooge in this story. The use of the verb “enjoyed” serves to emphasize just how misanthropic Scrooge was in Stave 1. This change in attitude is emblematic of his later change in Stave 5. Dickens may have intended to send a message to the reader that surrounding yourself with the company during Christmas time will improve your wellbeing. This may make the reader feel the joy that Scrooge has in this scene because it will have immersed them into the story. Dickens wrote this ghost story to be read aloud at Christmas. This oral tradition delivers a moral lesson which perhaps is at first that Christmas is a time of unity, not of bitterness and focusing on your own selfish desires.

As well as this, Scrooge is demonstrated as an aggrieved man when it is stated that “the cold within froze his old features”. The callous and misanthropic traits “within” Scrooge could be deeply ingrained yet being “frozen” is not necessarily a permanent state, something that Dickens utilises with Scrooge’s transformation. This is also reinforced when “no wind that blew was bitterer than he” which reveals the elements would rather have him live a self-contained life. The metaphor “cold within” portrays that it’s not the weather affecting Scrooge, it’s his own state of being which emphasises his bitterness. This creates an understanding for the reader that Scrooge begins as the antagonist of his own story. Splitting the novel into five staves leads the reader into believing this would be a joyous tale. Starting it off somber alludes to a happier ending because of the structure of a Carol.

Dickens also uses the atmosphere to allude to Scrooge’s later change in the novella. This is made clear when the initial weather is a “piercing, searching, biting cold” but changes to having “no fog, no mist; clear bright” skies illustrates the transformative impacts of the night’s events on Scrooge. The adjective “piercing” implies that the weather was very intense due to Scrooge’s cold exterior. This may make the reader believe that Scrooge is a powerful, external force in this story because of the novel’s readiness for subsequent supernatural events. During this time period, many Victorians were very superstitious and religious. They were made to believe that they had to wait for salvation to receive a better life. Dickens saw this as an excuse to mistreat the poor but he used the atmosphere and the supernatural to invoke his message of generosity.

Finally, Scrooge becomes an altruistic man who embraces the spirit of Christmas. This is established when he says “I am as light as a feather” and “I will honour the spirit of Christmas… I will live in the past, present, and future”. This exemplifies that giving back to society has lifted a figurative weight off his shoulders. The rule of three “past, present, and future” links back to the three ghosts who helped him learn his moral lesson. The repetition of “I will” reveals that he is true to his word. The use of the verb “honour” conveys that Scrooge finally has love in his heart compared to originally being a “wicked old screw”. This may make the reader feel hopeful about their own fate if such a miserly man can change. Dickens originally made this book unaffordable to the poor as they weren’t his intended audience. He hoped this would change their outlook on the poor and help them become more reinformed.

To conclude, Scrooge undergoes a dramatic change throughout the novella in an attempt to show Victorian society that they too can change. This is supposed to replicate the attitude of the readers of the time as he wanted to improve the lack of generosity from the upper class. They were the only ones who could truly make a difference in the lives of the poor. Other characters are constructed to act as the antithesis of Scrooge and provide a model for the people of the future. They helped Scrooge in his path. Dickens shows that Scrooge’s newfound generosity can be lifesaving.
mollymop902
Badges: 12
Rep:
? You'll earn badges for being active around the site. Rep gems come when your posts are rated by other community members.
Report 9 months ago
(Original post by leena_1473)
I would like to have some feedback with a rough estimate of my mark.

Starting with this extract, how does Dickens present a change in Scrooge?

Charles Dickens was enraged at the injustice and inequality for the masses during the Victorian era. This novella as a whole is a political diatribe that is meant to criticize society’s attitudes towards the poor. So, he constructed the archetypal selfish Victorian man in Scrooge. Scrooge has a small number of people in his life who dismiss his coldness and treat him with kindness yet he prefers to remain alone. This is unusual for the time of the Christmas spirit as it’s a time of giving and togetherness. He later learns to be altruistic. Scrooge represents Dickens’ target audience. Dickens uses background characters to remind Scrooge of how he should have more gratitude and be more generous. He eventually learns this lesson.

In this extract, Scrooge is reminiscent of his old ways before he was miserable. This is illustrated when Scrooge “enjoyed everything”. This insinuates that Scrooge misses the man that he once was because of the first demonstration of happiness from Scrooge in this story. The use of the verb “enjoyed” serves to emphasize just how misanthropic Scrooge was in Stave 1. This change in attitude is emblematic of his later change in Stave 5. Dickens may have intended to send a message to the reader that surrounding yourself with the company during Christmas time will improve your wellbeing. This may make the reader feel the joy that Scrooge has in this scene because it will have immersed them into the story. Dickens wrote this ghost story to be read aloud at Christmas. This oral tradition delivers a moral lesson which perhaps is at first that Christmas is a time of unity, not of bitterness and focusing on your own selfish desires.

As well as this, Scrooge is demonstrated as an aggrieved man when it is stated that “the cold within froze his old features”. The callous and misanthropic traits “within” Scrooge could be deeply ingrained yet being “frozen” is not necessarily a permanent state, something that Dickens utilises with Scrooge’s transformation. This is also reinforced when “no wind that blew was bitterer than he” which reveals the elements would rather have him live a self-contained life. The metaphor “cold within” portrays that it’s not the weather affecting Scrooge, it’s his own state of being which emphasises his bitterness. This creates an understanding for the reader that Scrooge begins as the antagonist of his own story. Splitting the novel into five staves leads the reader into believing this would be a joyous tale. Starting it off somber alludes to a happier ending because of the structure of a Carol.

Dickens also uses the atmosphere to allude to Scrooge’s later change in the novella. This is made clear when the initial weather is a “piercing, searching, biting cold” but changes to having “no fog, no mist; clear bright” skies illustrates the transformative impacts of the night’s events on Scrooge. The adjective “piercing” implies that the weather was very intense due to Scrooge’s cold exterior. This may make the reader believe that Scrooge is a powerful, external force in this story because of the novel’s readiness for subsequent supernatural events. During this time period, many Victorians were very superstitious and religious. They were made to believe that they had to wait for salvation to receive a better life. Dickens saw this as an excuse to mistreat the poor but he used the atmosphere and the supernatural to invoke his message of generosity.

Finally, Scrooge becomes an altruistic man who embraces the spirit of Christmas. This is established when he says “I am as light as a feather” and “I will honour the spirit of Christmas… I will live in the past, present, and future”. This exemplifies that giving back to society has lifted a figurative weight off his shoulders. The rule of three “past, present, and future” links back to the three ghosts who helped him learn his moral lesson. The repetition of “I will” reveals that he is true to his word. The use of the verb “honour” conveys that Scrooge finally has love in his heart compared to originally being a “wicked old screw”. This may make the reader feel hopeful about their own fate if such a miserly man can change. Dickens originally made this book unaffordable to the poor as they weren’t his intended audience. He hoped this would change their outlook on the poor and help them become more reinformed.

To conclude, Scrooge undergoes a dramatic change throughout the novella in an attempt to show Victorian society that they too can change. This is supposed to replicate the attitude of the readers of the time as he wanted to improve the lack of generosity from the upper class. They were the only ones who could truly make a difference in the lives of the poor. Other characters are constructed to act as the antithesis of Scrooge and provide a model for the people of the future. They helped Scrooge in his path. Dickens shows that Scrooge’s newfound generosity can be lifesaving.
This is a very well put together essay, well done. I got a 9 in English Literature and A Christmas Carol was one of my novels, so hopefully I can be of help.
The one negative that sticks out for me upon my first read was the consistent use of "this" and "the" during the explain parts of your analysis. Please use some more complex and compound sentences or start with adverbs, for example: "The use of the verb “honour” conveys that Scrooge finally has love in his heart compared to originally being a “wicked old screw”. This may make the reader feel hopeful about their own fate if such a miserly man can change." I would change to: ""Honour" as a verb, conveys that Scrooge finally has love in his heart compared to originally being a "wicked old screw", making the reader feel hopeful about their own fate if such a miserly man can change."
You have used context well in this piece and have linked back to the question consistently. Very good!

I would happily give this essay near to full marks, but would maybe take one or two marks off for comma placing and repetitive sentence starters. Otherwise, you should be very proud of yourself! If this is the standard of your English works, a grade 8/9 is within reach.
leena_1473
Badges: 6
Rep:
Report Thread starter 9 months ago
(Original post by mollymop902)
This is a very well put together essay, well done. I got a 9 in English Literature and A Christmas Carol was one of my novels, so hopefully I can be of help.
The one negative that sticks out for me upon my first read was the consistent use of "this" and "the" during the explain parts of your analysis. Please use some more complex and compound sentences or start with adverbs, for example: "The use of the verb “honour” conveys that Scrooge finally has love in his heart compared to originally being a “wicked old screw”. This may make the reader feel hopeful about their own fate if such a miserly man can change." I would change to: ""Honour" as a verb, conveys that Scrooge finally has love in his heart compared to originally being a "wicked old screw", making the reader feel hopeful about their own fate if such a miserly man can change."
You have used context well in this piece and have linked back to the question consistently. Very good!

I would happily give this essay near to full marks, but would maybe take one or two marks off for comma placing and repetitive sentence starters. Otherwise, you should be very proud of yourself! If this is the standard of your English works, a grade 8/9 is within reach.
So instead of “this is shown when”, could I say “it is revealed when”?
mollymop902
Badges: 12
Rep:
Report 9 months ago
(Original post by leena_1473)
So instead of “this is shown when”, could I say “it is revealed when”?
Yes, that is perfect! Avoid shows like the plague, haha.
X

Quick Reply

Attached files
Write a reply...
Back
to top
Latest

Do you know what you'll do if you don't get the grades you're hoping for?

Find something else in clearing (31)
27.68%
Take a gap year (17)
15.18%
Resit my exams (30)
26.79%
Look for alternate pathways to the career I want (17)
15.18%
I don't know yet (12)
10.71%
Something else (tell us in the thread) (5)
4.46%

Watched Threads