The Student Room Group

Quality of Uni of Birmingham Bioinformatics MSc

Hi all,

I'm hoping to start UoB's Bioinformatics MSc next June, however I've seen someone say that after finishing the course they don't feel prepared for a career in bioinformatics and that the teaching quality is poor.

I've looked online for student satisfaction ratings for the course and can't seem to find any, has anyone here studied bioinformatics with Birmingham? Do you echo the view above?

Thanks!
I heard city uni of birmingham is quite poor however i heard uni of birmingham is quite good so im not quite sure? But there should be websites where they rank universities and show the teaching satisfaction

At the end of the day everyone will learn differently and if the way they teach will benefit you, ud only know if you maybe try emailing them about this or even attend a open evening , Is uni of birmingham ur only choice?
I don't have much experience with bioinformatics (just a passing interest that I haven't pursued much), but the Robotics postgrad had a good teaching standard. Looking at the modules of the Bioinformatics course, it looks pretty solid. I suppose your current background matters, what is your undergraduate degree in? As long as you have good mathematical, statistical and programming skills, or are coming from a biology background, you should be able to transition well to a career after the degree.
Reply 3
Original post by TasteLikeChicken
I don't have much experience with bioinformatics (just a passing interest that I haven't pursued much), but the Robotics postgrad had a good teaching standard. Looking at the modules of the Bioinformatics course, it looks pretty solid. I suppose your current background matters, what is your undergraduate degree in? As long as you have good mathematical, statistical and programming skills, or are coming from a biology background, you should be able to transition well to a career after the degree.

I have a degree in Biomedical Science and have 8 months to brush up on maths and familiarise myself with Python and R.

Thanks for your input :smile:
Original post by SForfar
I have a degree in Biomedical Science and have 8 months to brush up on maths and familiarise myself with Python and R.

Thanks for your input :smile:

Ah, great. Linear algebra, calculus and some stats are probably most important. Python and R are great choices, and are the lingua franca of Bioinformatics. There are a wealth of online resources to help you out. Also, Birmingham is a great uni so not to worry! Best of luck!
Reply 5
Original post by TasteLikeChicken
Ah, great. Linear algebra, calculus and some stats are probably most important. Python and R are great choices, and are the lingua franca of Bioinformatics. There are a wealth of online resources to help you out. Also, Birmingham is a great uni so not to worry! Best of luck!

Thank you very much, really appreciate the help :smile:
Original post by SForfar
Hi all,

I'm hoping to start UoB's Bioinformatics MSc next June, however I've seen someone say that after finishing the course they don't feel prepared for a career in bioinformatics and that the teaching quality is poor.

I've looked online for student satisfaction ratings for the course and can't seem to find any, has anyone here studied bioinformatics with Birmingham? Do you echo the view above?

Thanks!

I'm looking to study bioinfomatics after my undergrad. I haven't even started my biomed undergrad yet but I'm very interested in bioinfomatics, can I apply to bioinfomatics with a biomed degree?
Please don't waste your time at the University of Birmingham for Bioinformatics. They don't have any good teachers. No proper frame work. No support to students, you will learn nothing and waste a lot of time and Money.
(edited 1 year ago)
Original post by SForfar
Hi all,

Thanks!

Please don't waste your time at the University of Birmingham for Bioinformatics. They don't have any good teachers. No proper frame work. No support to students, you will learn nothing and waste a lot of time and Money.
Reply 9
Hey, Could you please elaborate a bit more? I'm thinking about starting it and for me the important part is to just get some ideas on tools/current problems and challenges and get a paper to be taken minimally seriously at the beginning. I don't think I know many masters that produce pro scientists right away especially in a constantly changing field like this. Is it challenging enough, technical enough statistics, ML, biology combo is there? I would highly appreciate your answer.
Original post by Only4Bio

Hey, Could you please elaborate a bit more? I'm thinking about starting it and for me the important part is to just get some ideas on tools/current problems and challenges and get a paper to be taken minimally seriously at the beginning. I don't think I know many masters that produce pro scientists right away especially in a constantly changing field like this. Is it challenging enough, technical enough statistics, ML, biology combo is there? I would highly appreciate your answer.

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending