The Student Room Group

Scroll to see replies

Reply 40
Manchester is also pretty famous for its music sence, a lot of aritsts coming from the USA are influenced by the manc post punk era of the late 1970s and 1980s. Many DJs world wide are also influenced by the Acid House boom of the late 1980s which was largely invented in the Hacienda which was once known as the most famous night club in the world. Thats how big that club became.
Glasgow for its Religious Bigtory, crazy knife crime/violence and general ****ness
Reply 42
elpollodiablouk
Doesn't mean they're not famous though. And Edinburgh only famous for its uni? Edinburgh Castle maybe?

Also theres the world famous Edinburgh festival which brings millions to the city every summer....

I reckon London's the most famous, then Edinburgh. I don't really know anything about Manchester so thats why I dont think its very famous.
Reply 43
karisa
Also theres the world famous Edinburgh festival which brings millions to the city every summer....

I reckon London's the most famous, then Edinburgh. I don't really know anything about Manchester so thats why I dont think its very famous.

Manchester's mostly famous for the football team.
Reply 44
Lord Huntroyde
Manchester's mostly famous for the football team.

man city is not world famous. :p:
Reply 45
Manchesters very famous for its music apart from London, Manchester has had more chart topping bands than any other city in the UK. I have listed some bads here

http://www.musicinmanchester.co.uk/bandlistings.php

But there is lots of bands I have missed out. In the UK at least Manchester is becoming famous for its dramas as well, there has been many very popular drama series set in Manchester, Shameless, Queer as Folk, Royele Family, Coronation Street, Cold Feet etc.
Reply 46
vavavoom86
man city is not world famous. :p:

Manchester has Manchester United and if the pendants say it dosn't then London also has no football teams.
Reply 47
Stockport - the destination of the infamous 192: "The Most Violent Bus Route in Europe"
Reply 48
kingslaw
Stockport - the destination of the infamous 192: "The Most Violent Bus Route in Europe"

haha don't talk to me about the 192! If I ever need to go to Stockport I usualy get the 23/22/23A because its a direct bus, but if I ever need to get a bus into stockport from Manchester city centre I get the 42, it may take a bit longer but the journey is far nicer.

PS Stockport s perhaps famous for its railway arches.
Portsmouth - D-Day (which everybody learns about at school :biggrin: ).

Also a sort of decent football team, big navy base/museum, and a nice big new tower :smile: Tallest viewing tower in the UK.
OH and Portsmouth is the most densely populated city in Europe :smile:
Reply 51
amazingtrade
haha don't talk to me about the 192! If I ever need to go to Stockport I usualy get the 23/22/23A because its a direct bus, but if I ever need to get a bus into stockport from Manchester city centre I get the 42, it may take a bit longer but the journey is far nicer.

PS Stockport s perhaps famous for its railway arches.

Are you implying that there are times when, purely voluntarily, you actually want to get into Stockport? The only people who usually voluntarily come to Stockport are souped up Nova driving, chain wearing, WKD drinking idiots called Carl comin to see their 'woman' - some 14 year old slapper called "Keeeeeeeirrrrrrraaaaaaaaaoooohhh" who's caked in make-up and bright orange fake tan, and are sporting a suspicious looking lump in her belly.
Reply 52
kingslaw
Are you implying that there are times when, purely voluntarily, you actually want to get into Stockport? The only people who usually voluntarily come to Stockport are souped up Nova driving, chain wearing, WKD drinking idiots called Carl comin to see their 'woman' - some 14 year old slapper called "Keeeeeeeirrrrrrraaaaaaaaaoooohhh" who's caked in make-up and bright orange fake tan, and are sporting a suspicious looking lump in her belly.

I have family in cheadle and gatley so some times have to go to Stockport to change buses. Also there have Richersounds there which is usualy the only reason I ever go to Stockport.

My cousins been in nights out in Manchester probably about 600 times, he has been twice in Stockport and both times we witnessed violent behavior. Stockport during the day is not too bad, full of scallies but then so are most places, I think its at night Stockport is not such a good prospect.
Reply 53
amazingtrade
I have family in cheadle and gatley so some times have to go to Stockport to change buses. Also there have Richersounds there which is usualy the only reason I ever go to Stockport.

My cousins been in nights out in Manchester probably about 600 times, he has been twice in Stockport and both times we witnessed violent behavior. Stockport during the day is not too bad, full of scallies but then so are most places, I think its at night Stockport is not such a good prospect.

Stockport itself doesnt have too many scallies living there (well apart from areas in the centre like Edgeley, which is absolutely swarming with them). Stockport just seems to have plughole effect - the souless, grey 60s architecture dragging the scum in from everywhere around it.
Reply 54
kingslaw
Stockport itself doesnt have too many scallies living there (well apart from areas in the centre like Edgeley, which is absolutely swarming with them). Stockport just seems to have plughole effect - the souless, grey 60s architecture dragging the scum in from everywhere around it.

Well some of the richest parts of the country are in Stockport but so are the some of the poorest Edgely, I did leaflets there once, it has a horrible experience, I got told to f off by some 5 year old bratt. I have never stepped foot in Brinnington but if the stories I hear are true its a very rough place and thats also on the edge of the town. I think a lot of people from the richer parts of Stockport tend to go to Manchester to do their shopping. Scallies however cannot afford to £1.60 or so bus fare into Manchester.
Reply 55
amazingtrade
Well some of the richest parts of the country are in Stockport but so are the some of the poorest Edgely, I did leaflets there once, it has a horrible experience, I got told to f off by some 5 year old bratt. I have never stepped foot in Brinnington but if the stories I hear are true its a very rough place and thats also on the edge of the town. I think a lot of people from the richer parts of Stockport tend to go to Manchester to do their shopping. Scallies however cannot afford to £1.60 or so bus fare into Manchester.

Ooooh...Brinny. Wonderful. Went to see a friend who lived there once. Had a bottle thrown at my head (it missed) for having "f*cking mosher 'air" (it was actually quite short).

Where I lived (one of the nicer parts of Stockport) it was actually quicker and cheaper to get the train to Manchester (£2.25) than to get the bus to the centre of Stockport (£2.80 - or however much a DaySaver is nowadays). In my last couple of years at home, I don't think I went shopping in Stockport once, as I just couldn't be ar*ed with the comments from little scallies I got on the bus, in the bus station, in Merseyway, in the shops, and all over again on the way back. Although I did go every other Saturday to watch County.

Still love the place though. The people of Stockport (who don't fit the description above) are decent, hard-working, honest and very witty people. The scallies themselves are only the result of living in a boring sh*thole.
Reply 56
Liverpool-Beatles!
Reply 57
Dude
Yer, but 1,000's of Chienese and Japanese people come to Liverpool every day simply to go on the Beatles tour.

Oh god! Yeah they do! And americans! August bank holiday Liverpool is FULL of americans and the japanese!
Reply 58
kingslaw
Ooooh...Brinny. Wonderful. Went to see a friend who lived there once. Had a bottle thrown at my head (it missed) for having "f*cking mosher 'air" (it was actually quite short).

Where I lived (one of the nicer parts of Stockport) it was actually quicker and cheaper to get the train to Manchester (£2.25) than to get the bus to the centre of Stockport (£2.80 - or however much a DaySaver is nowadays). In my last couple of years at home, I don't think I went shopping in Stockport once, as I just couldn't be ar*ed with the comments from little scallies I got on the bus, in the bus station, in Merseyway, in the shops, and all over again on the way back. Although I did go every other Saturday to watch County.

Still love the place though. The people of Stockport (who don't fit the description above) are decent, hard-working, honest and very witty people. The scallies themselves are only the result of living in a boring sh*thole.

It will be a nice place once they do all the modernisation of mersey square build some nice appartments and perhaps do somthing to sort out the night life. My dad a job in Brinnington and they knicked his rear winscreen wiper, cost £25 to get it fixed. I have always wanted to go get that 369 (or somthing similar) bus to Brinngton to just to see how bad it really but I iwll probably get bottled for being a "poncy southerner threatening their life style" or somthing.

I think in many ways Stockport deserves to be a city more than Salford does.
Reply 59
Surely it would be more interesting to get opinions from non-UK nationals on this subject, we haven't got a clue what people from other countries know us for.

Latest

Trending

Trending