The Student Room Group

I think I have binge eating disorder and I am sugar addicted

I am 18, I am pretty sure I have bunge eating for 3 years now but it gets better now, I do not eat to a stage where I am uncomfortable. But I eat sugar almost everyday. I just ate 8 pieces of mint chocolate just now. I had to finish my snacks in one day to stop myself from binging. Ppl said eat whatever u want can help ( do not restrict myself) it does work, it makes me recovered from binge eating. I care about my appearance really much but i cant get over food. I just wanna snack every single time and I have gained 10kg over the 1 year. I think I really need help... I am trying to not keep any snacks in my house to make sure i ve nothing to eat when i am craving for snack.. Someone plsss... I need ur advice...
Reply 1
Original post by Yoniie
I am 18, I am pretty sure I have bunge eating for 3 years now but it gets better now, I do not eat to a stage where I am uncomfortable. But I eat sugar almost everyday. I just ate 8 pieces of mint chocolate just now. I had to finish my snacks in one day to stop myself from binging. Ppl said eat whatever u want can help ( do not restrict myself) it does work, it makes me recovered from binge eating. I care about my appearance really much but i cant get over food. I just wanna snack every single time and I have gained 10kg over the 1 year. I think I really need help... I am trying to not keep any snacks in my house to make sure i ve nothing to eat when i am craving for snack.. Someone plsss... I need ur advice...

What type of snacks do you like? It is better for your bodily health to snack on natural food (e.g. fruit, veg., nuts, and seeds), than processed and fast food. Make a table of processed (column 1) and natural (column 2) foods you like. You've already mentioned mint chocolate, so that would go under processed food. Snacking on your favourite natural foods will be better for you than snacking on the processed ones.

Also, think about what you like to drink. Is it mainly water, tea, coffee, or sugared drinks? Some of these are better for your health than others.

Hope this helps :smile:
Original post by Yoniie

Binge eating is a specific eating disorder, and isn't something you could (or should) try to diagnose yourself, or via the internet. Have you spoken to your GP at all if you think you might have an eating disorder?

Eating sugar every day isn't an 'eating disorder' - it's just an unhealthy habit, as is constant snacking.
I mean 8 pieces of chocolate isn't necessarily a binge. If you can't stop snacking, try to get something healthy in like fruit, carrot sticks, cucumber, etc.
Reply 4
Original post by nnth
What type of snacks do you like? It is better for your bodily health to snack on natural food (e.g. fruit, veg., nuts, and seeds), than processed and fast food. Make a table of processed (column 1) and natural (column 2) foods you like. You've already mentioned mint chocolate, so that would go under processed food. Snacking on your favourite natural foods will be better for you than snacking on the processed ones.

Also, think about what you like to drink. Is it mainly water, tea, coffee, or sugared drinks? Some of these are better for your health than others.

Hope this helps :smile:

Hi, I definitely love both natural and processed food. I will try to get more natural food like nuts, but sometimes I can finish a whole packet just in one day thats why I am so worried to buy natural food as its not cheap and I feel like wasting it if I finish in one day.. also, drinks like chocolate, mocha or latte will my favourite then followed by water and soft drink. My biggest doubt is I cant stop myself from eating when there is snacks in my house. But I will definitely try to buy more fruits or yogurt as I love both of them. Thank you so much, but how can listing all of them down helps? I appreciate your reply!

Original post by Reality Check
Binge eating is a specific eating disorder, and isn't something you could (or should) try to diagnose yourself, or via the internet. Have you spoken to your GP at all if you think you might have an eating disorder?

Eating sugar every day isn't an 'eating disorder' - it's just an unhealthy habit, as is constant snacking.

HI, Yes, I agree with u and I did diagnosed myself that I have binge eating because I ve tried multiple time eating myself till I feel like throwing up. Even laughing and coughing was so difficult for me. My worst case will be having a korean fried chicken meal then ate 2 slice of cake, one grande starbucks and one boost juice, churros, and one cone of mcdonald ice cream and another chocolate pancake. I would use excuses like outing with friends once 2/3 month and eat like a freaking beast and felt extremely guilty + uncomfortable.
I never talked to anyone other than my closest friend until now so no, I never went to doc or any prof for diagnosis. I was really worried that I might have sugar addiction, i hope i dont have it. Do you any idea that can help me stop snacking or it is just because of I am lack of discipline?
also, thank you so much for ur reply
(edited 2 years ago)
Original post by Yoniie

The first thing you should do is ask for help of a doctor
Reply 6
Original post by ashtolga23
I mean 8 pieces of chocolate isn't necessarily a binge. If you can't stop snacking, try to get something healthy in like fruit, carrot sticks, cucumber, etc.

hi! I am getting better, I wont eat until I feel like throwing up anymore but sometimes I feel the urge of eating a lot but manage not to. I will suddenly crave for biscuit and I eat the whole packet of cookies in one time... This happened so many times that I have decided to follow ur suggestion, SWEAR to myself, i am never gonna buy snack and keep in my house. Never... Coz tbh i think have 0 resistance to snacks... which is very disappointing..
Original post by Yoniie
HI, Yes, I agree with u and I did diagnosed myself that I have binge eating because I ve tried multiple time eating myself till I feel like throwing up. Even laughing and coughing was so difficult for me. My worst case will be having a korean fried chicken meal then ate 2 slice of cake, one grande starbucks and one boost juice, churros, and one cone of mcdonald ice cream and another chocolate pancake. I would use excuses like outing with friends once 2/3 month and eat like a freaking beast and felt extremely guilty + uncomfortable.
I never talked to anyone other than my closest friend until now so no, I never went to doc or any prof for diagnosis. I was really worried that I might have sugar addiction, i hope i dont have it. Do you any idea that can help me stop snacking or it is just because of I am lack of discipline?
also, thank you so much for ur reply

No problem :smile: I really do think that you should talk to your GP about your issues around food and eating - they are there to help you.

As for snacking, it's really a case of trying to distract yourself and doing something else when you feel the urge to eat out of meals - go for a walk, play the piano, hoover the floor, empty the dishwasher - anything really. Have some 'healthy' stuff around to snack on when you really can't resist the urge (which will happen), like easy-to-eat fruit: bananas, apples, grapes. Nothing that needs preparation or attention. Most importantly, you can't eat food that you don't have, so the easiest way of cutting down or eliminating your snacking is simply don't buy food which you commonly snack on. If it's not in the house, in your bag or at close hand, then you're more likely to be able to 'surf the wave' of cravings and false-hunger and let it pass. If your house is stuffed full of delicious stuff which you know you can't resist snacking on, then it's going to be almost impossible to resist the urge when it comes.
Reply 8
Original post by thomasdao
The first thing you should do is ask for help of a doctor

HI, I wanted to... but no I cant... unless I can go secretly and pay everything by myself... My family never know, they think i am just love food and lack of discipline, they never know how i eat like a monster during every outing with my friends. But t has been 1 years since the last time i almost explode my stomach with food. Thank you so much btw, just hope that i can get rid of this unhealthy relationship with food asap because i just wanna live a normal life.
Reply 9
Original post by Reality Check
No problem :smile: I really do think that you should talk to your GP about your issues around food and eating - they are there to help you.

As for snacking, it's really a case of trying to distract yourself and doing something else when you feel the urge to eat out of meals - go for a walk, play the piano, hoover the floor, empty the dishwasher - anything really. Have some 'healthy' stuff around to snack on when you really can't resist the urge (which will happen), like easy-to-eat fruit: bananas, apples, grapes. Nothing that needs preparation or attention. Most importantly, you can't eat food that you don't have, so the easiest way of cutting down or eliminating your snacking is simply don't buy food which you commonly snack on. If it's not in the house, in your bag or at close hand, then you're more likely to be able to 'surf the wave' of cravings and false-hunger and let it pass. If your house is stuffed full of delicious stuff which you know you can't resist snacking on, then it's going to be almost impossible to resist the urge when it comes.

I will take note of that and see a GP for advises. Yea, it might work on me. I just need to stop wandering in the mall especially ( food and snack section ). Hope that I can make it this time, quit my unhealthy eating habit and build a good relationship with food. I wish you have a really really great day ahead, you made me felt much better, i feel like tmr is going to be better and maybe ur words changes my life from now on. Again, thank you so so much!
Original post by Yoniie
I will take note of that and see a GP for advises. Yea, it might work on me. I just need to stop wandering in the mall especially ( food and snack section ). Hope that I can make it this time, quit my unhealthy eating habit and build a good relationship with food. I wish you have a really really great day ahead, you made me felt much better, i feel like tmr is going to be better and maybe ur words changes my life from now on. Again, thank you so so much!

You're welcome :smile: Don't be too hard on yourself: eating is all about habit and, to misquote Aristotle, 'we are what we repeatedly do'. It will take much time, and much effort, to change the habits you've got into, so don't feel you've failed, or are somehow weak, by finding behaviour change difficult. It is very difficult, but with time and repeated attempts, you will succeed.
Original post by Yoniie
hi! I am getting better, I wont eat until I feel like throwing up anymore but sometimes I feel the urge of eating a lot but manage not to. I will suddenly crave for biscuit and I eat the whole packet of cookies in one time... This happened so many times that I have decided to follow ur suggestion, SWEAR to myself, i am never gonna buy snack and keep in my house. Never... Coz tbh i think have 0 resistance to snacks... which is very disappointing..

I get this, I had it too. I lost like 5st doing keto, because you can't have carbs so you bypass what you're addicted to. The trouble is when I came off it I gained most of it back. Almost back to square one now. It might be worth trying low carb but you have to make sure you have a plan for coming off it if you do.
Reply 12
Original post by ashtolga23
I get this, I had it too. I lost like 5st doing keto, because you can't have carbs so you bypass what you're addicted to. The trouble is when I came off it I gained most of it back. Almost back to square one now. It might be worth trying low carb but you have to make sure you have a plan for coming off it if you do.

5st is a number that i never imagine myself achieving it. I have the same problem to do, after losing weight through cutting down calories/carbs/sugar, it will always comes back.-:frown:

Quick Reply

Latest