Should i do a art degree or a psychology degree?

Watch this thread
3bee
Badges: 2
Rep:
? You'll earn badges for being active around the site. Rep gems come when your posts are rated by other community members.
Report Thread starter 9 months ago
I know these two subjects are extremely different but for a while now I have been confused on what course to do.
I have always loved art and it has been the one hobby which i have stuck with throughout my childhood. If I were to do a degree in it , it would likely be on the lines of concept art and illustration (a course where i can design characters and backgrounds and all that without a skill to do programming or computer skills).
That would be the only art degree I would be interested in , as I am not interested in courses like fine arts.
However I do not know what career options i would be interested in , as I'm quite picky and in reality I dont just want to do art for the rest of my life as its been one of those hobbies ive done as a break from other subjects so I'm unsure as, if it would become my main career that I would eventually become uninterested in it.

This then leads me to a psychology degree , ive always been interested in psychology like behaviour and criminality and what makes us do certain things , however I'm not the greatest at essays and the math side of it which ive heard is heavily involved when it comes to the psychology degree. I also heard it is quite busy and I do want to have a good university experience where I join societies and have time to meet people and not have my whole time being caught up with psychology work. I also at the moment do not find any career paths interesting in psychology so I'm afraid if I pursue it , I will not end up with a job that i like.
I was thinking I could do a psychology degree then a 2 year course after on concept art. I'm not sure if thats the best route though because I would rack up a load of loans and I don't even know if that is possible.

This is a basic summary for my thinking , I'm scared as it is becoming closer to the deadline and I still havent done a personal statement.
I'm really sorry for the long paragraph to whoever reads this
aniwah
Badges: 6
Rep:
? You'll earn badges for being active around the site. Rep gems come when your posts are rated by other community members.
Report 9 months ago
Hi!

I was in a similar position last year (applied for 2021 entry), but was torn between History and Art. I ended up applying for History on UCAS and last minute applied to an Art Foundation.

For your situation I would say to try to do an Art Foundation? Most places do them for free provided you are a home applicant and under the age of 19 when the course starts. Lots of places do them so there’s probably one near you? I think doing one will help you understand if an artistic career is something that you would actually like to pursue - you will be able to get university guidance (for Art-related courses) from them and it’ll give you a better idea of how the careers work. I’m about six weeks into my Art Foundation, and I’ve figured out that I want to study History afterwards. I’m really enjoying it but I can tell that it’s not something I see myself doing for a full degree or as a career, so think it’s been really beneficial and has assured me of my decision.

The good thing about applying for an Art Foundation is that you don’t apply through UCAS, so you could apply for Art and Psychology at the same time, with Psychology for deferred entry? Last year the deadlines for foundations were pushed back due to COVID but in a normal year you would still have a while (January/February, with portfolio deadlines being even later). There is also the added bonus that if you do want to do something arty after your Psychology degree, you will at least have a portfolio prepared from Foundation.

The downside is that it is a bit more work, but (assuming you do Art A Level) you can use your A Level work.

More generally though, do as much research as you can about different courses and different unis. Try to talk to people studying what you are interested in, they will probably give the best insights. You still have plenty of time, but the sooner you plan what you are doing the better.
3bee
Badges: 2
Rep:
Report Thread starter 9 months ago
(Original post by aniwah)
Hi!

I was in a similar position last year (applied for 2021 entry), but was torn between History and Art. I ended up applying for History on UCAS and last minute applied to an Art Foundation.

For your situation I would say to try to do an Art Foundation? Most places do them for free provided you are a home applicant and under the age of 19 when the course starts. Lots of places do them so there’s probably one near you? I think doing one will help you understand if an artistic career is something that you would actually like to pursue - you will be able to get university guidance (for Art-related courses) from them and it’ll give you a better idea of how the careers work. I’m about six weeks into my Art Foundation, and I’ve figured out that I want to study History afterwards. I’m really enjoying it but I can tell that it’s not something I see myself doing for a full degree or as a career, so think it’s been really beneficial and has assured me of my decision.

The good thing about applying for an Art Foundation is that you don’t apply through UCAS, so you could apply for Art and Psychology at the same time, with Psychology for deferred entry? Last year the deadlines for foundations were pushed back due to COVID but in a normal year you would still have a while (January/February, with portfolio deadlines being even later). There is also the added bonus that if you do want to do something arty after your Psychology degree, you will at least have a portfolio prepared from Foundation.

The downside is that it is a bit more work, but (assuming you do Art A Level) you can use your A Level work.

More generally though, do as much research as you can about different courses and different unis. Try to talk to people studying what you are interested in, they will probably give the best insights. You still have plenty of time, but the sooner you plan what you are doing the better.
Hi , thank you so much for your reply ,
This has actually helped a lot , I had heard about foundation courses but non of my teachers had spoke about it so I wasn't sure of how to apply and how things run.
I do do art a level and psychology a level as well as biology a level , so i have experience of it.
Are there different art foundations as in specific courses not just fine arts?
Also i had searched up but i couldn't find a definite response but would i be able to apply for a foundation course in one uni and then do a psychology course in another uni?
Also with applying for a foundation course would you typically find a university of choice then get in contact with them via there website then ucas?
Also when applying for a art foundation course is it the same as applying for an art degree as in you would have a portfolio and a offer and if you get the grades you'll the be accepted?

Sorry for the many questions
This sounds like a very good idea so ill research it more
X

Quick Reply

Attached files
Write a reply...
Back
to top
Latest

Y13s: How will you be receiving your A-level results?

In person (63)
68.48%
In the post (3)
3.26%
Text (13)
14.13%
Something else (tell us in the thread) (13)
14.13%

Watched Threads