The Student Room Group

As Physics Data Booklet

If I give a list of equations from my data booklet can someone please tell me what their used for and what they mean cause if prefer to get started on understanding them now.
You should come across all the equations in the booklet at some point as you study- there's no point going through and memorizing any of them if you haven't covered the background on them, first. Imo at least.
Reply 2
Original post by Callicious
You should come across all the equations in the booklet at some point as you study- there's no point going through and memorizing any of them if you haven't covered the background on them, first. Imo at least.

I'm not looking to memorize them in looking to understand what the equation is since in classroom they use watered down versions of the equations and in the data booklet it includes letters in a different language.
Original post by LLT05
I'm not looking to memorize them in looking to understand what the equation is since in classroom they use watered down versions of the equations and in the data booklet it includes letters in a different language.

Have you tried using the textbook for your exam board? It should have all the correct information (including symbolism) for the problems you're facing- sounds to me like your teacher is just deciding to use different notation/formalism from the exam board. Them using a different symbol formalism shouldn't be a problem though- you should know the form of the equation and what the symbols represent just based on the equation at hand, not because your teacher gives 2πf2\pi{f} instead of ω\omega or something similar to that.

If your teacher is giving you something like V(r)=GMrV(r) = \frac{-GM}{r} but you're seeing in formulae/etc ϕ(r)=GMr\phi(\vec{r}) = \frac{-GM}{|\vec{r}|} there shouldn't be a problem- they're very clearly the same formula by-and-large.

That being said, I'd recommend bringing it up with them. If they're "watering down" equations or not sticking to the notation of the formula sheet, it might confuse some students- I wouldn't do that if I were a teacher, at least.
(edited 2 years ago)

Quick Reply