Can you get references from uni tutor if you've withdrawn from the programme?

Watch
gemplzx
Badges: 11
Rep:
? You'll earn badges for being active around the site. Rep gems come when your posts are rated by other community members.
Report Thread starter 1 month ago
I've recently started the second year of a part-time MSc but have decided to withdraw and get an exit award in favour of full-time employment. My job offer is conditional on references from all employment & education in the past 3 years and my MSc personal tutor has said she'd be happy to provide one but that she'll need to check that she's able to with the Programme Director.

I'm quite surprised that she would have to check with the Director and am now very concerned that I may not be able to start this job... Does anyone else have experience of getting references after leaving a uni course early?
Bleuciel_
Badges: 6
Rep:
? You'll earn badges for being active around the site. Rep gems come when your posts are rated by other community members.
Report 1 month ago
It’s surprising that she needs to get consent from the programme director. It should. Count since you were on the program for an entire year, of which you even got an award. I don’t see how it should be problematic.
Reality Check
Badges: 22
Rep:
Report 1 month ago
(Original post by gemplzx)
I've recently started the second year of a part-time MSc but have decided to withdraw and get an exit award in favour of full-time employment. My job offer is conditional on references from all employment & education in the past 3 years and my MSc personal tutor has said she'd be happy to provide one but that she'll need to check that she's able to with the Programme Director.

I'm quite surprised that she would have to check with the Director and am now very concerned that I may not be able to start this job... Does anyone else have experience of getting references after leaving a uni course early?
Have you withdrawn in good academic standing - in other words, there is no failure or misconduct or anything, just a decision by you to leave with a different award and terminate your course early? If so, it shouldn't be difficult to get a reference and I agree that it's slightly surprising that your personal tutor should feel the need to seek a go-ahead from her line manager.
gemplzx
Rep:
(Original post by Bleuciel_)
It’s surprising that she needs to get consent from the programme director. It should. Count since you were on the program for an entire year, of which you even got an award. I don’t see how it should be problematic.
(Original post by Reality Check)
Have you withdrawn in good academic standing - in other words, there is no failure or misconduct or anything, just a decision by you to leave with a different award and terminate your course early? If so, it shouldn't be difficult to get a reference and I agree that it's slightly surprising that your personal tutor should feel the need to seek a go-ahead from her line manager.
yeah i have withdrawn with good academic standing! i've had some issues with attendance but this was due to mental health issues - i'm averaging a distinction and the tutor is aware that i'm very driven and have maintained good grades even when balancing my studies with work, volunteering, my grad entry medicine application (and all the entrance exams that go along with it)... i'm hoping she's just being overly cautious? it's certainly reassuring to see i'm not the only one who's surprised by her response
Admit-One
Badges: 21
Rep:
Report 1 month ago
I think your tutor is just being cautious and checking your uni's policy. Maybe they haven't had such a request from an exiting student for a while.

I have seen quite a few references from people that were leaving their previous place of study, so I think it's unlikely to be an issue.
gemplzx
Rep:
(Original post by Admit-One)
I think your tutor is just being cautious and checking your uni's policy. Maybe they haven't had such a request from an exiting student for a while.

I have seen quite a few references from people that were leaving their previous place of study, so I think it's unlikely to be an issue.
fingers crossed!! thank you!
Reality Check
Badges: 22
Rep:
Report 1 month ago
(Original post by gemplzx)
yeah i have withdrawn with good academic standing! i've had some issues with attendance but this was due to mental health issues - i'm averaging a distinction and the tutor is aware that i'm very driven and have maintained good grades even when balancing my studies with work, volunteering, my grad entry medicine application (and all the entrance exams that go along with it)... i'm hoping she's just being overly cautious? it's certainly reassuring to see i'm not the only one who's surprised by her response
I agree with Admit-One then: she's just being super cautious I think. Nothing to worry about, I'm sure.
X

Quick Reply

Attached files
Write a reply...
Back
to top
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

How would you describe the quality of the digital skills you're taught at school?

Excellent (32)
9.91%
Okay (94)
29.1%
A bit lacking (118)
36.53%
Not good at all (79)
24.46%

Watched Threads