The Student Room Group

Medication & work - did I do the right thing?

I got an email from a colleague asking if I can do some typing for him or can I ask the office juniors to do it for him. I told him it'd be better for the office juniors as my medication makes my typing very slow and inaccurate. He got irate and said he'd do it himself.

Now I'm wondering whether I did the right thing. I don't want to lose my job.
Why didn't you just ask the office junior like your colleague asked you to?
Reply 2
Original post by black tea
Why didn't you just ask the office junior like your colleague asked you to?

I got into trouble a couple of weeks ago for asking the office juniors to do some photocopying. Apparently another colleague is in charge of them not me. So I told this guy to talk to the other colleague + mentioned about the medication.
Reply 3
I feel like I made a massive mistake. :cry2:
Original post by Anonymous
I got into trouble a couple of weeks ago for asking the office juniors to do some photocopying. Apparently another colleague is in charge of them not me. So I told this guy to talk to the other colleague + mentioned about the medication.

I'm guessing this guy is your senior so you really should have talked to the other person yourself if he delegated the task to you. I would have also been a bit annoyed if I had asked a junior colleague to do something and they told me to just sort it out myself.
I feel like I made a massive mistake. :cry2:

I'm sure it'll be fine, it really isn't a big deal
Reply 6
Original post by black tea
I'm guessing this guy is your senior so you really should have talked to the other person yourself if he delegated the task to you. I would have also been a bit annoyed if I had asked a junior colleague to do something and they told me to just sort it out myself.

Bugger. You're right, I'm such an idiot. :facepalm:

Now I'm thinking that he's going to think I was making excuses and I embarrassed myself by admitting to being on medication. :frown:

Now I'm thinking that he's going to think I was making excuses and I embarrassed myself by admitting to being on medication. :frown:

Honestly, I wouldn't worry about it. It sounds like a misunderstanding and he has probably forgotten all about it by now so don't beat yourself up about it. And there is nothing embarrassing about being on medication.
Probably best to keep quiet now, keep your head down and hope nothing comes of it. Saying anything is likely to stir things up more in my opinion. Odds are he may get irate many times a week with all sorts of different people, possibly just stressed with the job. I think saying anything will likely just highlight it when he's probably thought not a lot of it and moved on in his mind, up to you though.
Reply 9

i don't think it's a big deal
but if it bothers you you can always say that you meant flu/cold meds or something like that
You should have just passed on his message to the office juniors and told them to address any questions or queries to him directly.
Best not to tell coworkers about your medications, health or other elements of your private life.
Original post by londonmyst
You should have just passed on his message to the office juniors and told them to address any questions or queries to him directly.
Best not to tell coworkers about your medications, health or other elements of your private life.

I realise that now. I feel like such a complete idiot. It seemed like a good idea at the time and reflecting back I feel so stupid. Wtf got into me?

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending