drockster
Badges: 2
Rep:
? You'll earn badges for being active around the site. Rep gems come when your posts are rated by other community members.
Report Thread starter 1 month ago
i am currently a ib student, and wondering what path to go down. Eventually, planning to do the SQE and try and be a solicitor, but I don't know what to do as my undergrad. I love politics and philosophy, and would prefer to study one of those over law, but is it more respectable to do a straight law degree?
alma_beu
Badges: 11
Rep:
? You'll earn badges for being active around the site. Rep gems come when your posts are rated by other community members.
Report 1 month ago
You could do a PPL degree!
The University of Law Students
Badges: 16
Rep:
Report 1 month ago
(Original post by drockster)
i am currently a ib student, and wondering what path to go down. Eventually, planning to do the SQE and try and be a solicitor, but I don't know what to do as my undergrad. I love politics and philosophy, and would prefer to study one of those over law, but is it more respectable to do a straight law degree?
Hi drockster

You can do any of those degrees! However, if you do a non-qualifying degree, you will need to do a conversion course afterwards, such as a GDL/MA Law/SQE Foundation- which is a year (and extra cost). I completed the MA Law after my degree.

If you complete a qualifying law degree (that is a LLB with the 7 foundation units) then you will be able to move straight onto the SQEs. There's a good map here: https://www.lawcareers.net/Starting-...l-Career-Paths.

If you have no concerns about the extra cost of the conversion, doing a degree in a subject you love is definitely fine- and will probably reflect as better grades in the end. Taking a conversion course is not seen as a negative in legal circles- many have done it.

Good luck with it all!
Nic
Student Ambassador at the University of Law
drockster
Rep:
(Original post by alma_beu)
You could do a PPL degree!
yeah, I was thinking about that. but the only uni I would be proper keen to go to that has a PPL degree is kings, and they have such few places for the course. I would rather study politics or philosophy at a prestigious uni no?
drockster
Rep:
(Original post by The University of Law Students)
Hi drockster

You can do any of those degrees! However, if you do a non-qualifying degree, you will need to do a conversion course afterwards, such as a GDL/MA Law/SQE Foundation- which is a year (and extra cost). I completed the MA Law after my degree.

If you complete a qualifying law degree (that is a LLB with the 7 foundation units) then you will be able to move straight onto the SQEs. There's a good map here: https://www.lawcareers.net/Starting-...l-Career-Paths.

If you have no concerns about the extra cost of the conversion, doing a degree in a subject you love is definitely fine- and will probably reflect as better grades in the end. Taking a conversion course is not seen as a negative in legal circles- many have done it.

Good luck with it all!
Nic
Student Ambassador at the University of Law
wolud be happy to do the GDL! just wouldn't be a option without a TC, and I don't know how confident I would in securing one.
alma_beu
Badges: 11
Rep:
Report 1 month ago
yeah, I was thinking about that. but the only uni I would be proper keen to go to that has a PPL degree is kings, and they have such few places for the course. I would rather study politics or philosophy at a prestigious uni no?
If you’re going for prestige then applying for politics or philosophy might be good too.

You could apply to a mix of courses and focus your ps on the links between philosophy law and politics. Then you could apply to any mix of those.
The University of Law Students
Badges: 16
Rep:
Report 1 month ago
wolud be happy to do the GDL! just wouldn't be a option without a TC, and I don't know how confident I would in securing one.
You won't know unless you try! This site gives you really good advice on what to do each year to help maximise your chances of gaining a contract: https://www.lawcareers.net/Solicitor...r-Law-Students.

Best of luck with it all- whatever you decide!
Nic
Student Ambassador at University of Law
X

Quick Reply

Attached files
Write a reply...
Back
to top
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

How would you describe the quality of the digital skills you're taught at school?

Excellent (37)
9.61%
Okay (112)
29.09%
A bit lacking (145)
37.66%
Not good at all (91)
23.64%

Watched Threads