Does eating after a workout matter?

Watch
Ahhhhhhyeet
Badges: 6
Rep:
? You'll earn badges for being active around the site. Rep gems come when your posts are rated by other community members.
Report Thread starter 4 weeks ago
Does eating a specific time after a workout matter? Like if I went an hour and a half after my workout till I ate anything, would it affect muscle growth?
Reality Check
Badges: 22
Rep:
? You'll earn badges for being active around the site. Rep gems come when your posts are rated by other community members.
Report 4 weeks ago
(Original post by Ahhhhhhyeet)
Does eating a specific time after a workout matter? Like if I went an hour and a half after my workout till I ate anything, would it affect muscle growth?
You really need to eat within half-an-hour of finishing a workout, with a good balance of carbs and protein - you'd need to experiment a bit to see what works best for you. Leaving it 90mins before eating is a bit late. You can always carry a protein shake and banana in your gym bag, so there should be no need to go 90mins without eating post workout, even if you have a bit of a journey back from the gym.
yellowbuttercup
Badges: 15
Rep:
Report 4 weeks ago
Eating before and after working out is so important and it means that you can get the most effective outcome from the workout. I swim 2x a week and make sure to eat roughly an hour before I go to the pool. Afterwards I eat a snack literally right after I get changed (something like an apple) and then go home and eat a proper meal.
Hope this helps <3
saifkiddan
Badges: 13
Rep:
Report 4 weeks ago
you should eat healthy food or protien after 30 mins to increase muscle growth
Kyri
Badges: 15
Rep:
Report 4 weeks ago
I have to disagree with the posts saying you must eat within 30 minutes of finishing a workout. If you type into google something like "is there such thing as an anabolic window?" you'll find loads of sources debunking that myth.

Muscle protein synthesis is elevated for around 24 to at most 48 hours after weight training, so you must eat several nutritious meals during this time period to maximise muscle growth. Maybe if you're training completely fasted there may be some benefit to eating straight afterwards but most people will eat something within a couple of hours before training. Your body will take time to digest and absorb this food, so by the time you've finished training, the nutrients from that food will be in your bloodstream and available for your body to use. So as long as you've eaten something before training, there's no real rush to eat immediately afterwards.
X

Quick Reply

Attached files
Write a reply...
Back
to top
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

How would you describe the quality of the digital skills you're taught at school?

Excellent (13)
9.35%
Okay (40)
28.78%
A bit lacking (49)
35.25%
Not good at all (37)
26.62%

Watched Threads