Help how do I answer this question?

Watch this thread
Ali21!
Badges: 0
Rep:
? You'll earn badges for being active around the site. Rep gems come when your posts are rated by other community members.
Report Thread starter 6 months ago
Applying material from Item A and your knowledge, evaluate the claim that factors outside the school are the main cause of working-class educational underachievement (20 Marks)

Item A: there are major social class differences in educational achievement and some sociologists argue that these are the result of internal factors and processes within schools. These include teacher labelling, the self - fulfilling prophecy, streaming and the creation of pupil subcultures.
SB1234567890
Badges: 14
Rep:
? You'll earn badges for being active around the site. Rep gems come when your posts are rated by other community members.
Report 6 months ago
I did A level sociology last year and would have done something like this (I think I got 29/30 on basically the same question in one of my exams)
Introduction: define internal and external factors then note how educational achievement by caused by factors inside or outside school or the interaction between them
Paragraph 1: External paragraph: go through different sociologists' ideas and create an idea that links them together
Paragraph 2: wever, other sociologists argue internal factors have a greater influence (create a chain showing how labelling leads to a self fulfilling prophecy then streaming then pupil subcultures). Evaluate with the fact that labelling theory is deterministic
Paragraph 3 (1 and 2 should be longer and your main paragraphs then this one will be short extra for if you have time): bring in ideas about cultural capital and how it links to economic and educational capital. Evaluate (if its in your textbook) with Sullivan's research
Conclusion: working class underachievement is caused by a combination of an the interaction between factors inside and outside school (give example). However, gender and ethnicity must also be considered (give examples of how each interact with class when influencing achievement)
Hope this helps
X

Quick Reply

Attached files
Write a reply...
Back
to top
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

How did your AQA Combined Science - Biology Paper 1 go?

Loved the paper - Feeling positive (59)
34.91%
The paper was reasonable (67)
39.64%
Not feeling great about that exam... (27)
15.98%
It was TERRIBLE (16)
9.47%

Watched Threads

Latest
My Feed