OU expecting advance payment £2500 despite Student Finance approval

Watch
Bonstance
Badges: 3
Rep:
? You'll earn badges for being active around the site. Rep gems come when your posts are rated by other community members.
Report Thread starter 1 month ago
Hi there,

New to the TSR forums but have used this website for ages

I have a problem and it is causing me a huge amount of stress...

I have been approved the tuition loan from Student Finance England for a postgraduate loan starting in Feb 2022. I am also likely eligible for Disabled Students Allowance due to various diagnoses, inc autism.

I have applied for the MSc/MA Open via the Open University, but OU are asking for the advance payment of ~£2500 by Nov in order to proceed...to show committment.
They will not notify SFE that I am on the course until I actually start in Jan 2022 as I have to show committment by enrolling/starting YET they say I have to pay in advance to show my commitment!? So they are happy to take money from me ASAP but I have to wait until after I have started to be paid my first installment (less than £2500!)and activation for DSA? Surely I need my disabilites assessed before I start?

My question is, has anyone else here been through this process and does this sound correct? OU have offered me a loan to cover the loan so I can pay the advance, but this is insane.

I just want to hear from anyone who has been through SFE funding process for PG OU studies and how it panned out, please.

Many thanks
Shirohige
Badges: 9
Rep:
? You'll earn badges for being active around the site. Rep gems come when your posts are rated by other community members.
Report 1 month ago
(Original post by Bonstance)
Hi there,

New to the TSR forums but have used this website for ages

I have a problem and it is causing me a huge amount of stress...

I have been approved the tuition loan from Student Finance England for a postgraduate loan starting in Feb 2022. I am also likely eligible for Disabled Students Allowance due to various diagnoses, inc autism.

I have applied for the MSc/MA Open via the Open University, but OU are asking for the advance payment of ~£2500 by Nov in order to proceed...to show committment.
They will not notify SFE that I am on the course until I actually start in Jan 2022 as I have to show committment by enrolling/starting YET they say I have to pay in advance to show my commitment!? So they are happy to take money from me ASAP but I have to wait until after I have started to be paid my first installment (less than £2500!)and activation for DSA? Surely I need my disabilites assessed before I start?

My question is, has anyone else here been through this process and does this sound correct? OU have offered me a loan to cover the loan so I can pay the advance, but this is insane.

I just want to hear from anyone who has been through SFE funding process for PG OU studies and how it panned out, please.

Many thanks
Ultimately, you won't get the money until you start and the OU has confirmed your registration to SFE. Sounds like the OU has a weird policy but that is up to them i am afraid.
Bonstance
Rep:
Thanks for your reply ☺️The SFE advisor said a similar thing, that it is a bit strange.OU have got back to me and are insistent that the SFE loan is purely for maintenance only, whereas I am arguing that it is classed as a combined loan, yet most will take it to cover tuition fees. I am from a low income household, so we do not have the luxury of self funding without huge impact in our budget.I feel somewhat discriminated as I am autistic, disabled and from a low income so these are apparent barriers to getting started on a Masters as I am being hindered no matter what I try. The attitude seems to be that I just have to find the advance self funds, even though we have to dip into limited savings at this rate. I just hope they help to activate my DSA prior to starting, else it all feels pointless.Thanks again, helps to type it out and refer back.
GabiAbi84
Badges: 21
Rep:
Report 1 month ago
Yes the information you have been told is correct.
For the postgraduate modules you have to pay up front. Most people do this either using a credit card or making use of the OUSBA loan and then paying that back with the masters loan once it comes in.
Bonstance
Rep:
(Original post by GabiAbi84)
Yes the information you have been told is correct.
For the postgraduate modules you have to pay up front. Most people do this either using a credit card or making use of the OUSBA loan and then paying that back with the masters loan once it comes in.
Thank you for confirming this - I'm unlikely to be eligible for an OUSBA loan going by what I am reading as I have no income,so back to the drawing board...Thanks for replies.
X

Quick Reply

Attached files
Write a reply...
Back
to top
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

How would you describe the quality of the digital skills you're taught at school?

Excellent (37)
9.61%
Okay (112)
29.09%
A bit lacking (145)
37.66%
Not good at all (91)
23.64%

Watched Threads