Anholm
Badges: 16
Rep:
? You'll earn badges for being active around the site. Rep gems come when your posts are rated by other community members.
Report Thread starter 1 month ago
I am applying for Biology at York and Exeter, they both look like excellent universities and I can't decide on a first choice.
What are your experiences of these, do you prefer one over the other?
McGinger
Badges: 17
Rep:
? You'll earn badges for being active around the site. Rep gems come when your posts are rated by other community members.
Report 1 month ago
You dont list your 5 UCAS choices in any sort of preference order - UCAS just puts them in alpha-order and each Uni cannot see where-else you have applied. And you don't have to make a Firm/Insurance choice for months - and you need to have all the Unis decisions before you can do that.
Anholm
Rep:
(Original post by McGinger)
You dont list your 5 UCAS choices in any sort of preference order - UCAS just puts them in alpha-order and each Uni cannot see where-else you have applied. And you don't have to make a Firm/Insurance choice for months - and you need to have all the Unis decisions before you can do that.
So what is the firm/insurance choice for? Do the universities know if they have been put as the firm or insurance choice?
lunariumxo
Rep:
Report 1 month ago
(Original post by Anholm)
So what is the firm/insurance choice for? Do the universities know if they have been put as the firm or insurance choice?
thats if you get an offer and decide, and firm is the one you want to go to and insurance is the one that you will go into as a back up if on results day something happens , like firm could want AAA* but insurance wants AAA you meet AAA and then choose your insurance
Anholm
Rep:
(Original post by lunariumxo)
thats if you get an offer and decide, and firm is the one you want to go to and insurance is the one that you will go into as a back up if on results day something happens , like firm could want AAA* but insurance wants AAA you meet AAA and then choose your insurance
So do I only get two options? It says on my UCAS that I have 5 choices.

Thanks for your help!
lunariumxo
Rep:
Report 1 month ago
So do I only get two options? It says on my UCAS that I have 5 choices.

Thanks for your help!
NOOOO you get 5 options the 2 options is later on don't worry about it your school will explain it
Anholm
Rep:
(Original post by lunariumxo)
NOOOO you get 5 options the 2 options is later on don't worry about it your school will explain it
Haha, I'll take your word for it! I've made my 5 choices so I just need to work from there.
On a side note, did you go to York or Exeter?
lunariumxo
Rep:
Report 1 month ago
Haha, I'll take your word for it! I've made my 5 choices so I just need to work from there.
i applied this year too im a medicine applicant so i applied to Hull York medical school
McGinger
Badges: 17
Rep:
Report 1 month ago
How to choose your Firm and Insurance : https://www.thestudentroom.co.uk/uni...urance-choices
Muttley79
Badges: 20
Rep:
Report 1 month ago
When you have all your offers then around May you decide your firm and insurance - see the link above. By then you might get the opportunity to visit them or talk online to current students.

A lot of my students go to Exeter and I've visited a few times - the campus is lovely ad students seem happy there.

This is taken inside one of the student buildings:

Name:  P1000431.JPG
Views: 34
Size:  390.6 KB
Anholm
Rep:
(Original post by McGinger)
How to choose your Firm and Insurance : https://www.thestudentroom.co.uk/uni...urance-choices
Thanks for the link!
Anholm
Rep:
(Original post by Muttley79)
When you have all your offers then around May you decide your firm and insurance - see the link above. By then you might get the opportunity to visit them or talk online to current students.

A lot of my students go to Exeter and I've visited a few times - the campus is lovely ad students seem happy there.

This is taken inside one of the student buildings:

Name:  P1000431.JPG
Views: 34
Size:  390.6 KB
Yes, it looks like a great place to go. It is also much closer to me than York since I live in Cornwall.
Muttley79
Rep:
Report 1 month ago
Yes, it looks like a great place to go. It is also much closer to me than York since I live in Cornwall.
Ah right! Yes, York would be quite a trek ...
random_matt
Rep:
Report 1 month ago
Very good campus Exeter.
University of York
Badges: 12
Rep:
Report 1 month ago
I am applying for Biology at York and Exeter, they both look like excellent universities and I can't decide on a first choice.
What are your experiences of these, do you prefer one over the other?
Hi Anholm,
It's great to hear that you're considering York.

If you have any questions about the University or York in general feel free to ask us.

Hope to see you on campus soon,
Bea
Anholm
Rep:
(Original post by University of York)
Hi Anholm,
It's great to hear that you're considering York.

If you have any questions about the University or York in general feel free to ask us.

Hope to see you on campus soon,
Bea
Hello,
I really like the course offered by York, it would allow me to take both neuroscience and microbiology as modules, two things that do interest me.
I'm not sure if you can help but I have a couple of questions,

My predicted grades for A-Level are BBC although going through first year, I have consistently gotten above that on assessments for all of my subjects so I'd like to think I can get three A's which is what the biology course requires. Would my low predicted grade affect my chances of getting an offer because I can ask my lecturers to review them of it would help?

In the online open day, they mentioned we could take a year abroard to one of several places which included Universidad Autonoma in Madrid. That would be a great opportunity to improve my Spanish. During the year abroard, would I do work that counts towards the degree at York or is it completely separate and run by the Spanish university?
Thank you for your reply!
University of York
Badges: 12
Rep:
Report 4 weeks ago
Hello,
I really like the course offered by York, it would allow me to take both neuroscience and microbiology as modules, two things that do interest me.
I'm not sure if you can help but I have a couple of questions,

My predicted grades for A-Level are BBC although going through first year, I have consistently gotten above that on assessments for all of my subjects so I'd like to think I can get three A's which is what the biology course requires. Would my low predicted grade affect my chances of getting an offer because I can ask my lecturers to review them of it would help?

In the online open day, they mentioned we could take a year abroard to one of several places which included Universidad Autonoma in Madrid. That would be a great opportunity to improve my Spanish. During the year abroard, would I do work that counts towards the degree at York or is it completely separate and run by the Spanish university?
Thank you for your reply!
Hi again,
I've spoken to someone in our admissions team and they have informed me that it is a competitive course so we'd likely be looking for candidates who meet the typical offer but in some cases predicted grades of BBC may be considered as long as the essential subjects (Biology or Human Biology and a second science e.g. Chemistry, Computer Science, Environmental Science, Further Mathematics, Geography, Geology, Mathematics, Physics, Psychology or Statistics) are being taken.

However it sounds like it would be worth a discussion with your teachers about your predicted grades anyway.

If you'd like more specific advice feel free to email [email protected]. who'll be able to assist you further.

In terms of the year abroad, it is part of your degree in the UK.

Thanks,
Bea
Anholm
Rep:
Report Thread starter 4 weeks ago
(Original post by University of York)
Hi again,
I've spoken to someone in our admissions team and they have informed me that it is a competitive course so we'd likely be looking for candidates who meet the typical offer but in some cases predicted grades of BBC may be considered as long as the essential subjects (Biology or Human Biology and a second science e.g. Chemistry, Computer Science, Environmental Science, Further Mathematics, Geography, Geology, Mathematics, Physics, Psychology or Statistics) are being taken.

However it sounds like it would be worth a discussion with your teachers about your predicted grades anyway.

If you'd like more specific advice feel free to email [email protected]. who'll be able to assist you further.

In terms of the year abroad, it is part of your degree in the UK.

Thanks,
Bea
That is good to know.
I have taken three subjects which would allow me into the biology course so that's not an issue but I will ask my tutor on Friday to raise predicted grades to increase my chances.
Thank you for the reply!
X

Quick Reply

Attached files
Write a reply...
Back
to top
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

How would you describe the quality of the digital skills you're taught at school?

Excellent (32)
9.73%
Okay (97)
29.48%
A bit lacking (119)
36.17%
Not good at all (81)
24.62%

Watched Threads