The Student Room Group

Architecture and Further Maths A-Level

I am currently in year 13 and am taking maths, physics, further maths and German as my A- Levels. When choosing my A-levels I thought I wanted to study engineering, however I decided I wanted to change to Architecture and want to apply to UCL, AA, Bath and Edinburgh to name a few. Up till now my A-Levels were fine however, I have had to put together an art portfolio since I decided to switch Uni courses and this has taken a lot of time (sometimes feels like a fifth A-Level). I did not study art at GCSE, instead choosing Design and Technology, but I have had a lot of support in putting the portfolio together. My school and parents have recommended that I drop further maths because my predicted grades would most likely go from A*AAA to A*A*A*. Further Maths is definitely not required however, I have heard of people taking it to study Architecture and I thought it would make me stand out more as an applicant. The issue is that it’s my favourite subject and even made me consider applying to maths and philosophy instead. I soon realised that I wanted a career in design more and studying maths at university wouldn’t help with my career plans. Although I really enjoy it I realise that it’s impractical to keep it along everything else. Does anyone have advice about this? A follow up question would be: can I explore my interest in a subject at university while studying another subject?
After reading your post, I wonder if architectural engineering would be a better fit for you than pure architecture? I'm sure you'll be aware from your research that very few universities (Bath and some Cambridge colleges) require maths A level for architecture. Plus, the feedback we got from students on open days was that an architecture degree is full on in terms of workload so it is unlikely you would have a lot of time to explore your maths interest.
Reply 2
Original post by normaw
After reading your post, I wonder if architectural engineering would be a better fit for you than pure architecture? I'm sure you'll be aware from your research that very few universities (Bath and some Cambridge colleges) require maths A level for architecture. Plus, the feedback we got from students on open days was that an architecture degree is full on in terms of workload so it is unlikely you would have a lot of time to explore your maths interest.

The issue is that I would want a career in design and so the accreditation from RIBA is important for me. I have applied to all the courses that are architecture and engineering which are still accredited. Although there are only 3 courses that are in this category I only need 5 choices. I would rather study maths as opposed to architectural engineering.

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending