COP26 News and Discussion thread

Watch
04MR17
Badges: 22
Rep:
? You'll earn badges for being active around the site. Rep gems come when your posts are rated by other community members.
Report Thread starter 4 weeks ago
The COP26 Climate Summit starts this Sunday in Glasgow

Numerous World leaders are expected to attend. There has been considerable build up to the summit with many people wondering how far and how fast world governments will actually pledge to change the way that they work.

The official website for COP26 is here:
https://ukcop26.org/

The BBC has a need summary here if you want to read more:
https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/science-environment-56901261
StriderHort
Badges: 21
Rep:
? You'll earn badges for being active around the site. Rep gems come when your posts are rated by other community members.
Report 4 weeks ago
Gonna be a total disaster IMO. Important people have declined, the Queen dropping out has apparently sent a few waves of more sneakily quitting, Half the services and utilities in the city are either closed or on strike and the city is dangerously close to flooding with many roads and trains now having issues.

Thank swearword I'm not responsible for any of this utter maelstrom. In many ways I feel they're better pulling the plug now before it descends into blame tit for tat "So much selfish environmental damage for travel for a wet chat with someone who doesn't matter!" etc.
Smack
Badges: 20
Rep:
Report 4 weeks ago
I think it will be at least a moderate success for the politicians involved. It'll provide them with plenty of opportunities to say the right things in carefully crafted speeches, and to make strong and serious sounding pledges. For a short period afterwards, they'll be able to pat themselves on their backs and feel good about themselves.

The difficulty comes in delivering said pledges - at least for democratically elected governments, who will have to get them through their government. Biden is currently having problems getting some of his climate legislation through congress, for example. That's the real challenge - not getting politicians to gather with their contemporaries at a conference and make promises to do things, but firstly for these promises to be turned into policies, and secondly, for these policies to be enacted.

I'm not particularly optimistic on either of those fronts. I think a lot of politicians greatly underestimate the financial cost and practical reality of being able to switch to "net zero". And I'm not sure how much the people would support it in practice.
Djtoodles
Badges: 10
Rep:
Report 4 weeks ago
Only one of 2 things happen when politicians speak. a) nothing or b) your average citizen gets **** on.
TCA2b
Rep:
Report 4 weeks ago
(Original post by Djtoodles)
Only one of 2 things happen when politicians speak. a) nothing or b) your average citizen gets **** on.
Expecting a heavy dose of b) this time.
Napp
Rep:
Report 4 weeks ago
Yet another talking shop where i seriously doubt anything will happen.
China and Russia arent attending, the worlds biggest polluter and one of the biggest oil and gas producers, America will say itll abide and then ignore it or actively renegade on any promises made and in general the 3rd world will probably not listen to it as they see no reason they should be punished for our past proclivity for dumping coal smoke into the air and whatnot.

A touch pessimistic and id like to be proved wrong... but i doubt it.
NJA
Badges: 20
Rep:
Report 3 weeks ago
Don't fireworks have a high carbon footprint?
StriderHort
Rep:
Report 3 weeks ago
(Original post by NJA)
Don't fireworks have a high carbon footprint?
Prob sod all next to BoJo flying back home for his big dinner for abolishing safeguards.

He embarrassed us as a nation by flying home like that, and that's still compared to how cringeworthy he was making speeches to the world leaders. Cop26 seems a total bust.
04MR17
Rep:
Report Thread starter 2 weeks ago
Apparently talks are continuing through the night tonight.

BBC leading with this story tonight
04MR17
Rep:
Report Thread starter 2 weeks ago
BBC News today leading with COP26, focusing on India and China's resistance to reducing coal use
X

Quick Reply

Attached files
Write a reply...
Back
to top
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

Would you give consent for uni's to contact your parent/trusted person in a mental health crisis?

Yes - my parent/carer (126)
33.87%
Yes - a trusted person (99)
26.61%
No (99)
26.61%
I'm not sure (48)
12.9%

Watched Threads