The Student Room Group

Taking Fine Art, Psychology, Maths & English Literature for A levels

So I’m currently in the process of choosing my A level options for next year and in the future for uni I want to study architecture. Any opinions on taking these 4 a levels then dropping one in the second year:

1. Fine Art
2. Psychology
3. Maths
4. English Literature

I wanted to take a mix of stuff im good at, stuff I enjoy and the subjects I’ll need to get into uni. But does anyone think that’s a good idea or should I change something?
Original post by ameliaf19
So I’m currently in the process of choosing my A level options for next year and in the future for uni I want to study architecture. Any opinions on taking these 4 a levels then dropping one in the second year:

1. Fine Art
2. Psychology
3. Maths
4. English Literature

I wanted to take a mix of stuff im good at, stuff I enjoy and the subjects I’ll need to get into uni. But does anyone think that’s a good idea or should I change something?

You might need physics for architecture more than English literature but it's up to you
as in architecture you need the understanding of Physics and art n math
Some Architecture courses need or 'prefer' Physics/Maths - its about building structures/stresses as well as 'design' - others are less specific.

Bath - https://www.bath.ac.uk/courses/undergraduate-2021/architecture/bsc-architecture-including-placements/ - ".....qualifications should ideally include a broad range of relevant subjects, including Mathematics or Physics and an art or design subject."
UCL - https://www.ucl.ac.uk/prospective-students/undergraduate/degrees/architecture-bsc - "No specific subjects. Comprehensive portfolio of creative work required at interview stage. At least two A level subjects should be taken from UCL's list of preferred A level subjects."

1. Fine Art
2. Psychology
3. Maths
4. English Literature

psychology seems like an interesting subject to choose if you're wanting to study architecture at uni. it all depends on whether you enjoy the subject though. fine art and maths definitely link well to your interest of doing architecture! maybe think about doing physics too?
(edited 2 years ago)
maybe change either psych or English to physics since its preferred for architecture

1. Fine Art
2. Psychology
3. Maths
4. English Literature

Despite what a lot of the respondents to this thread have said, physics is NOT required by the majority of universities to study architecture. Bath and some Cambridge colleges are the only unis that I am aware of that require math and/or physics. Most unis will require you to provide evidence of your artistic ability by submitting a portfolio as part of the application process. Essay subjects are also viewed favourably. My advice would be to see which subjects you enjoy the most and are likely to get the better grades before deciding which one to drop.

1. Fine Art
2. Psychology
3. Maths
4. English Literature

Hi Amelia!

I'm currently a second year architecture student at the University of Kent and I took your same subjects except from Psychology. As it has been said, most university mainly look at your portfolio and at your predicted grades to make sure you meet their requirements. I found English Lit&Lang to be very helpful with essay writing and a little understanding of physics might help with construction principles when designing, but it's not a requirement except if specified by the university. I think it's worth checking what subjects the universities you are considering prefer you to have and you can blend them with what you genuinely enjoy studying.

I hope this helps! If you have any questions, don't hesitate to ask.

Tracy :smile:
- UKC Rep

1. Fine Art
2. Psychology
3. Maths
4. English Literature

Hi Ameliaf19,

It's so exciting that you are considering Architecture for your degree. These subjects sound great, I did Maths and Art as well although I did always want to do English! When it comes to Architecture, most universities don't have required subjects for it. Art or an art adjacent subject is always useful especially to give you work to put in a portfolio but it isn't necessary as long as you keep up creative work on the side. Both Maths and English will be useful throughout the course. Architecture covers a wide area of topics, from history and humanities to engineering.

Some Universities require maths as an A-Level if they are more on the science end of Architecture. Other than that most Uni's allow a range of any subjects. Mostly they just need a passion for Architecture. If you want to check out our entry requirements then you can see them here - https://www.qub.ac.uk/courses/undergraduate/architecture-bsc-k100/#entry (bit of shameless promo but we are currently ranked 6th in the UK for Architecture - Guardian League Table 2021)

Most importantly for your A-Levels though is to do subjects you love and will enjoy learning for the next few years. You won't do nearly as well in subjects you don't love.

I hope this helps, any more questions just let me know.
Best of luck!

Alice, 3rd year BSc Architecture
Team Queen's

1. Fine Art
2. Psychology
3. Maths
4. English Literature

I think this combination to be an architect is better:
Mathematics
Physics
Art
IcT/geography
Original post by Mulunji Nyasulu
I think this combination to be an architect is better:
Mathematics
Physics
Art
IcT/geography

Sigh. As stated above, the majority of universities don't require maths and/or physics. Also, only three A levels are required.

Original post by normaw
Despite what a lot of the respondents to this thread have said, physics is NOT required by the majority of universities to study architecture. Bath and some Cambridge colleges are the only unis that I am aware of that require math and/or physics. Most unis will require you to provide evidence of your artistic ability by submitting a portfolio as part of the application process. Essay subjects are also viewed favourably. My advice would be to see which subjects you enjoy the most and are likely to get the better grades before deciding which one to drop.
hi not sure if this is still relevant to you, but I'm an architecture offer holder for the top architecture unis and my a levels are Maths, Fine Art, English Literature and Spanish! lots of the replies on here are suggesting physics which would be useful but definitely not necessary! I feel like as long as you are doing Art and Maths then you can do whatever else you like, english lit is a great option! good luck!
Original post by PQ
Are you an architect?

Or are you just talking ****?

My dads an architect and he told me about these subjects!
Original post by Mulunji Nyasulu
My dads an architect and he told me about these subjects!

It's a shame he thinks he knows better than RIBA and ARB (and the universities teaching Architecture)

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending