Help needed with psychology practise question.

Watch
SLouby
Badges: 4
Rep:
? You'll earn badges for being active around the site. Rep gems come when your posts are rated by other community members.
Report Thread starter 2 months ago
A study of phobias in twins has shown a higher concordance value for identical twins compared to non-identical twins. Explain this in terms of the biological and learning theory approaches. (12 marks)

Struggling with how to plan and write this 12 mark psychology question, as I don't understand the criteria of what the question actually wants me to answer. Can anyone offer me some advice or help with this??
Last edited by SLouby; 2 months ago
heart2you
Badges: 15
Rep:
? You'll earn badges for being active around the site. Rep gems come when your posts are rated by other community members.
Report 2 months ago
what exam board is this?
SLouby
Rep:
(Original post by heart2you)
what exam board is this?
Aqa
heart2you
Rep:
Report 2 months ago
(Original post by SLouby)
Aqa
divide the answer into A01 (knowledge) and A03 (evaluation, 3-4 paragraphs in total) - easy for the examiner to mark.
'explain' = why do identical twins have a higher concordance rate than non-identical twins, using the biological approach and learning theory approach?

->Maybe divide your A01 into 2 paragraphs - first introduce evidence that shows identical twins having a higher concordance rate than non-identical twins. Maybe then go on to say that there are explanations which can help explain why this is - biological approach and social learning theory.

use the biological approach to explain why identical twins have a higher concordance rate, back it up with evidence, then link back to the question at the end (e.g. this, therefore, explains why identical twins have a higher concordance value and suggests phobias are genetic/hereditary).

-----then A03 (do 1 very detailed or 2 normal A03 paragraphs) -> give strengths/weaknesses of the biological approach (a limitation is...) - e.g. bio approach reduces behaviour to a singular component -> ignores the complexity of human behaviour -> environmental factors play a big role - give evidence. To make the A03 more detailed, provide further evidence that either supports the strength of the bio approach that you're talking about or supports the research evidence itself. Either that or you could provide a weakness of the strength or the evidence itself. Make sure to link back to the question at the end!

Then do the same with the social learning theory ('contrastingly, the social learning theory can also explain why identical twins have a higher concordance value than non-identical twins').

(to clarify, do A01 for biological approach then 1 or 2 A03, A01 for social learning theory then another 1/2 A03).

Also, this is just how I would do it - you don't need to structure it in the same way as me. You could do all the A01 first and then A03 at the end. But (THIS IS MAINLY FOR A2/16 MARK Qs SO YOU CAN IGNORE THIS WHOLE PARAGRAPH FOR NOW) my teacher told me that if you do your A03 at the end and it's organised randomly (e.g. 1 A03 on SLT, 1 A03 on bio approach, 1 A03 on SLT - no link between the A03), your A03 marks may be limited but I think this is only at A2 when you have 16 mark questions (6 marks for A01, 10 marks for A03).
So it's better to do the A03 after doing the A01 for each explanation (e.g. 2 A03 that directly link after each other - e.g. A03 that provides evidence for the SLT in explaining concordance rates but then another A03 that is a limitation of both the SLT and the first A03 you did - e.g. the fact that SLT doesn't explain why children imitate their parents, only how. Then you can develop that by providing an alternative explanation e.g. the biological approach as it explains why identical twins have higher concordance rates thus the bio approach may be better?
SLouby
Rep:
divide the answer into A01 (knowledge) and A03 (evaluation, 3-4 paragraphs in total) - easy for the examiner to mark.
'explain' = why do identical twins have a higher concordance rate than non-identical twins, using the biological approach and learning theory approach?

->Maybe divide your A01 into 2 paragraphs - first introduce evidence that shows identical twins having a higher concordance rate than non-identical twins. Maybe then go on to say that there are explanations which can help explain why this is - biological approach and social learning theory.

use the biological approach to explain why identical twins have a higher concordance rate, back it up with evidence, then link back to the question at the end (e.g. this, therefore, explains why identical twins have a higher concordance value and suggests phobias are genetic/hereditary).

-----then A03 (do 1 very detailed or 2 normal A03 paragraphs) -> give strengths/weaknesses of the biological approach (a limitation is...) - e.g. bio approach reduces behaviour to a singular component -> ignores the complexity of human behaviour -> environmental factors play a big role - give evidence. To make the A03 more detailed, provide further evidence that either supports the strength of the bio approach that you're talking about or supports the research evidence itself. Either that or you could provide a weakness of the strength or the evidence itself. Make sure to link back to the question at the end!

Then do the same with the social learning theory ('contrastingly, the social learning theory can also explain why identical twins have a higher concordance value than non-identical twins').

(to clarify, do A01 for biological approach then 1 or 2 A03, A01 for social learning theory then another 1/2 A03).

Also, this is just how I would do it - you don't need to structure it in the same way as me. You could do all the A01 first and then A03 at the end. But (THIS IS MAINLY FOR A2/16 MARK Qs SO YOU CAN IGNORE THIS WHOLE PARAGRAPH FOR NOW) my teacher told me that if you do your A03 at the end and it's organised randomly (e.g. 1 A03 on SLT, 1 A03 on bio approach, 1 A03 on SLT - no link between the A03), your A03 marks may be limited but I think this is only at A2 when you have 16 mark questions (6 marks for A01, 10 marks for A03).
So it's better to do the A03 after doing the A01 for each explanation (e.g. 2 A03 that directly link after each other - e.g. A03 that provides evidence for the SLT in explaining concordance rates but then another A03 that is a limitation of both the SLT and the first A03 you did - e.g. the fact that SLT doesn't explain why children imitate their parents, only how. Then you can develop that by providing an alternative explanation e.g. the biological approach as it explains why identical twins have higher concordance rates thus the bio approach may be better?
Thanks so much, this provides a lot of help
heart2you
Rep:
Report 2 months ago
Thanks so much, this provides a lot of help
it's fine, I hoped it helped!! If you need any more help just ask me!
SLouby
Rep:
it's fine, I hoped it helped!! If you need any more help just ask me!
Hey, another question. Do you have any information or ideas on how the social learning theory explains why identical twins have a higher concordance rate than non-identical twins. I understand environmental factors play a big role in developing behaviours / phobias but I cant seem to find any research or evidence to prove why the concordance rate is higher in mz twins (In a social / learning approach).
heart2you
Rep:
Report 2 months ago
Hey, another question. Do you have any information or ideas on how the social learning theory explains why identical twins have a higher concordance rate than non-identical twins. I understand environmental factors play a big role in developing behaviours / phobias but I cant seem to find any research or evidence to prove why the concordance rate is higher in mz twins (In a social / learning approach).
I'm not sure on the social learning theory as I never learned about it with phobias or concordance rates in twins. I tried to research SLT and phobias in twins but I couldn't find anything. I'm really sorry.
Do you possibly have any notes on it from your classes? Are there any studies there?
SLouby
Rep:
I'm not sure on the social learning theory as I never learned about it with phobias or concordance rates in twins. I tried to research SLT and phobias in twins but I couldn't find anything. I'm really sorry.
Do you possibly have any notes on it from your classes? Are there any studies there?
Unfortunately no to all of the above. Don’t worry, you’ve helped a lot. I’ll just try to make a few decent points and justify it through logic. Thanks
X

Quick Reply

Attached files
Write a reply...
Back
to top
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

When did you submit your Ucas application if you applied to go to university this year?

September 2021 (36)
7.2%
October 2021 (223)
44.6%
November 2021 (59)
11.8%
December 2021 (64)
12.8%
January 2021 (60)
12%
I still haven't submitted it yet! (43)
8.6%