The Student Room Group

Messaging, staying in contact and relationship struggles.

I was a late bloomer when it came to social media, getting it much later than my peers. I really struggle when it comes to texting and messaging people on snapchat or instagram, much preferring to talk in person because I'm a lot less awkward that way. I am starting to feel quite lonely now, because lots of my friends have moved around the country for uni, and the ones that are up here I'm not too close to, but i'd like to get to know them better. Issue is that I have no way of talking to them in person, so I'd have to message them first which is quite hard for me.

What's a good way of approaching someone who you know likes you as a friend without coming across as flirty, creepy or intrusive? I've went through a lot of scenarios in my head and its hard to imagine a way I can phrase it without seeming desperate or weird, especially since its out of the blue (about a month since we last spoke). I'm also looking for a relationship with someone but I have no idea how I'm meant to get the ball rolling, I enjoyed talking to them and we share a lot of the same hobbies, but I can't just go like "really out of the blue but have you watched ___ this season". It feels weird to bring this up to her of all people, considering I have close friends I could just talk to about that.

Extra info: I'm a man and she's a woman, I wanted to try and make an effort to include her since I know a lot of her friends have moved around the country too, but unlike me she stayed back a year because of covid so she hasn't met new people at uni either. I don't know if she's feeling similar to me but at this rate I'll just never end up talking to her, and she isn't going to make the effort to try and talk to me. I tried making an effort before, but while she was talking to me at the time she never made an effort to reach back out to me in the last month, I can't really tell if she doesn't want to talk to me at all or she is just socially awkward, but it happens so often with anyone I try and message that I feel like its a problem with me specifically. I feel like I generally put in a lot of effort to maintain my relationships with people, but no one ever reaches back asides from when I instigate. In person everyone loves me for some reason, I have no clue why, but when it comes to social media its like I don't exist or no one cares about me. Is it just a man's job to keep in touch exclusively, or should I be getting messages back? I've honestly never had a girl message me or show interest even once which is really really bad, idk if its just because I need to show more interest than what I'm already doing or everyone just hates me and is for some reason leading me on into a friendship that they don't want to be a part of (which I don't think is the case).
texting, social media etc. isnt any different then speaking nowadays. just be natural. perhaps say how about a catch up at costa?

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending