The Student Room Group

a-levels + college

hi, i’m in year 11 atm and im off to either college or sixth form to do geography or bio, economics & politics (possibly law if i go to college), are they good combos? my parents don’t want me to go to college because the sixth form near me is one of the best nationally....i went to college open day and surprisingly liked the atmosphere!

if anyone has done these subjects please lmk what you think of them!!
Original post by nct2020
hi, i’m in year 11 atm and im off to either college or sixth form to do geography or bio, economics & politics (possibly law if i go to college), are they good combos? my parents don’t want me to go to college because the sixth form near me is one of the best nationally....i went to college open day and surprisingly liked the atmosphere!

Hi, this sounds like a good combo if that's what you are interested in. I am taking geo and do maths, further maths and physics but i dont really enjoy geography. I loved it at GCSE but is my least favourite subject, i would have a look at your college/sixth forms exam board and look at the content for your subjects.
Original post by nct2020

Going to sixth form is better in the long run. In your sixth form, not only would you get a great education but you will get support on careers, university applications, personal statements. There are more facilities in sixth forms and more teachers to help you but in college, there's more freedom.
Original post by JA03
Going to sixth form is better in the long run. In your sixth form, not only would you get a great education but you will get support on careers, university applications, personal statements. There are more facilities in sixth forms and more teachers to help you but in college, there's more freedom.

I go to a college and recieve great support but it would depend entirely on the sixth-forms and colleges near you.
"are they good combos?"

They're terrible if you want to be a doctor or an engineer. They're absolutely fine if you want to do any one of a wide range of degrees where your A level subjects don't matter at all. They might be fine if you want to do one of those subjects at university or they might not (for instance if you decide you want to study economics, not taking maths at A level will definitely limit your options, and only having one science might be an issue for some science degrees). If you think you might know what you want to do after A levels, then it's a good idea to go look at what the requirements are and check you're not ruling yourself out of it. Combinations aren't good or bad in themselves, it's always as a stepping stone to something else.

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending