Jammydodger39
Badges: 8
Rep:
? You'll earn badges for being active around the site. Rep gems come when your posts are rated by other community members.
Report Thread starter 1 month ago
Just interested in what progression is like is it slow or can you progress. Are there schools that offer areas of responsibility opportunities to ECTs? Not saying I want to be a HT overnight I’m just curious. Obviously as the ECT programme is now two years could areas of responsibility be possible in year 2 considering most people are qualified by then
Last edited by Jammydodger39; 1 month ago
SarcAndSpark
Badges: 20
Rep:
? You'll earn badges for being active around the site. Rep gems come when your posts are rated by other community members.
Report 1 month ago
(Original post by Jammydodger39)
Just interested in what progression is like is it slow or can you progress. Are there schools that offer areas of responsibility opportunities to ECTs? Not saying I want to be a HT overnight I’m just curious. Obviously as the ECT programme is now two years could areas of responsibility be possible in year 2 considering most people are qualified by then
I think this is going to come across quite harshly, but given you have been struggling quite a bit this half term it seems, I would worry about establishing yourself as a teacher before you think about further progression.

As the ECT program is quite new, it is hard to say what schools will do next year. In the past, some schools have offered things like 2nd in department or assistant HoY to NQT+1.

However, people will resent you if they are having to offer you additional support in the classroom, but you're taking on extra stuff.
Jammydodger39
Rep:
(Original post by SarcAndSpark)
I think this is going to come across quite harshly, but given you have been struggling quite a bit this half term it seems, I would worry about establishing yourself as a teacher before you think about further progression.

As the ECT program is quite new, it is hard to say what schools will do next year. In the past, some schools have offered things like 2nd in department or assistant HoY to NQT 1.

However, people will resent you if they are having to offer you additional support in the classroom, but you're taking on extra stuff.
Yeah you’re entitled to your own opinion. But I think it’s not just me that’s struggled. Speaking to other NQT’s at the same school it’s highly preassured for us. It was just a question and by no means saying I wanna be head teacher tomorrow. It’s a simple. What is progression like question.

I used this very often to talk about times I’ve struggled but I do think I’ve found so many assumptions are made around other peoples teaching practice just because of what’s posted. It’s probably time I stopped posting anyway

Thanks anyway
Last edited by Jammydodger39; 1 month ago
SarcAndSpark
Rep:
Report 1 month ago
Yeah you’re entitled to your own opinion. But I think it’s not just me that’s struggled. Speaking to other NQT’s at the same school it’s highly preassured for us. It was just a question and by no means saying I wanna be head teacher tomorrow. It’s a simple. What is progression like question.

I used this very often to talk about times I’ve struggled but I do think I’ve found so many assumptions are made around other peoples teaching practice just because of what’s posted. It’s probably time I stopped posting anyway

Thanks anyway
I agree a lot of ECTs have struggled, due to the difficult nature of your training year. Ultimately, yes, people do judge you based on your posting history. What else do we have to go on?

That's all the more reason not to be looking to take on extra responsibility yet.

If you apply for roles with extra responsibility whilst still struggling with your classroom practice, you'll likely look naive at best to SLT. And if you take on additional roles and then struggle, you will potentially be impacting a lot of people as well as yourself.
Jammydodger39
Rep:
(Original post by SarcAndSpark)
I agree a lot of ECTs have struggled, due to the difficult nature of your training year. Ultimately, yes, people do judge you based on your posting history. What else do we have to go on?

That's all the more reason not to be looking to take on extra responsibility yet.

If you apply for roles with extra responsibility whilst still struggling with your classroom practice, you'll likely look naive at best to SLT. And if you take on additional roles and then struggle, you will potentially be impacting a lot of people as well as yoursel.
That’s understandable but I have been trying to be better. In all honesty people who are now fully qualified had a better support system. More consistency, less issues in the way of behaviour because the percentage of students didn’t have such large gaps in their knowledge. Atm even teachers who have been teaching for years are also saying it’s really tough. Trainings been hugely impacted and the providers have given very little support. Having had the same discussion with people I trained with, new NQT’s who started with me and my training days. We all feel the same, collectively. I’m not complaining because I made the choice. But things aren’t easy and jobs aren’t really coming out in floods like they would in a normal year. So choices of places to work also become limited

Again if you read the post I don’t want the responsibility at all yet. I haven’t even found my feet fully yet. I just said what’s the scale of progression like. Is it slow or can people progress relatively quickly. A colleague of mine is an NQT+1 and said he had a similar experience but he progressed very quickly

Curiosity and taking action isn’t the same.
Zarek
Badges: 21
Rep:
Report 1 month ago
Like most careers there are progression opportunities by proving you can do the base job ok, taking on additional challenges and moving in to management positions. How quickly you can climb the greasy pole and where you get to depends on ability and ambition
Jammydodger39
Rep:
(Original post by Zarek)
Like most careers there are progression opportunities by proving you can do the base job ok, taking on additional challenges and moving in to management positions. How quickly you can climb the greasy pole and where you get to depends on ability and ambition
In no rush was just interested. Wondering if anyone had any stories about their progression ☺️
Reality Check
Badges: 22
Rep:
Report 1 month ago

Thanks anyway
I think SarcAndSpark is just being practical and pragmatic about things. To be honest, I've read quite a few of your posts and you do come across like you've really struggled this term, and perhaps rather more that the average ECT. This is my observation based on your posting history.
SarcAndSpark
Rep:
Report 1 month ago
That’s understandable but I have been trying to be better. In all honesty people who are now fully qualified had a better support system. More consistency, less issues in the way of behaviour because the percentage of students didn’t have such large gaps in their knowledge. Atm even teachers who have been teaching for years are also saying it’s really tough. Trainings been hugely impacted and the providers have given very little support. Having had the same discussion with people I trained with, new NQT’s who started with me and my training days. We all feel the same, collectively. I’m not complaining because I made the choice. But things aren’t easy and jobs aren’t really coming out in floods like they would in a normal year. So choices of places to work also become limited

Again if you read the post I don’t want the responsibility at all yet. I haven’t even found my feet fully yet. I just said what’s the scale of progression like. Is it slow or can people progress relatively quickly. A colleague of mine is an NQT+1 and said he had a similar experience but he progressed very quickly

Curiosity and taking action isn’t the same.
I'm not disagreeing it's tough right now. I'm just saying it's better to focus on being a solid classroom teacher before worrying about progression.

Some people will progress faster than others- generally those with secure classroom practice will get offered more opportunities, but often if you want to progress you have to seek things out and volunteer to do extra, and then apply for posts as they come up. If you appear to be struggling (regardless of whether others are too) people won't encourage you to take on more.
Get into Teaching
Badges: 11
Rep:
Report 4 weeks ago
Hi Jammydodger39,
to answer your question, it really depends of the school and there is also a bit of "being at the right place at the right time".
You usually have to be established in the classroom to be taking on extra-responsibilities. I started teaching in a challenging school and spent most of the first two years establishing myself. My head of department was very supportive and helped me to pursue my keen interest in ICT- I was given the first interactive whiteboard in the school ( yes, it is that long ago!). I spent lots of my free time mastering it and went on to deliver training to the whole school and at LEA level. I was also invited to run some masterclasses for some pupils in the LEA on Saturdays and during a week on school holidays. This experience helped me to apply for another job in a different school where I got my first responsibility within the department ( ICT development then raising achievement- all these were awarded due to my track record in these areas). I then, was head of subject 7 years after starting teaching and by year 8 of my career I was head of faculty. I chose to put my career on pause ( going part-time) to have a family, once my children grew up a bit, I went back to full time and then went on to be head of faculty again.
I would not classify myself as an overtly ambitious person, I worked hard and was rewarded for it.
The key is to be established, to prove your worth, sometimes take on some responsibilities and show initiatives and when there is a promotion available then you are a in a good position to apply.
Some of the people I trained with, were head of departments ( usually small departments) after a couple of years, being at the right place at the right time does play sometimes a part too but they also got it because they worked hard and had proven they could manage their day-to-day job and all the extras.
I hope this helps.
Laure
X

Quick Reply

Attached files
Write a reply...
Back
to top
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

How would you describe the quality of the digital skills you're taught at school?

Excellent (37)
9.61%
Okay (112)
29.09%
A bit lacking (145)
37.66%
Not good at all (91)
23.64%

Watched Threads