CHEMISTRY - HELP Gcse

Watch this thread
TrishaChou1
Badges: 12
Rep:
? You'll earn badges for being active around the site. Rep gems come when your posts are rated by other community members.
Report Thread starter 9 months ago
b) Complete the sentence by putting a cross ( ) in the box next to your answer.
The reaction for the extraction of aluminium from its ore involves
(1)
A heating with carbon
B thermal decomposition
C reduction
D neutralisation

shouldnt A be the answer?
epic08
Rep:
? You'll earn badges for being active around the site. Rep gems come when your posts are rated by other community members.
Report 9 months ago
I would of thought C (reduction)

Because in the reactivity series Aluminum is above Carbon so is displaced by electrolysis where Aluminum will be reduced at the cathode.

Al3+ +3e- --> Al

It's only metals below carbon in the reactivity series like zinc, iron, tin and lead that can be displaced by carbon.
TrishaChou1
Rep:
(Original post by epic08)
I would of thought C (reduction)

Because in the reactivity series Aluminum is above Carbon so is displaced by electrolysis where Aluminum will be reduced at the cathode.

Al3+ +3e- --> Al

It's only metals below carbon in the reactivity series like zinc, iron, tin and lead that can be displaced by carbon.
isnt that extracting using electrolysis?
epic08
Rep:
Report 9 months ago
Yes but when electrolysis is used aluminum is reduced in electrolysis so it will be reduction.

Have you done electrolysis yet?
TrishaChou1
Rep:
(Original post by epic08)
Yes but when electrolysis is used aluminum is reduced in electrolysis so it will be reduction.

Have you done electrolysis yet?
yess i have but i always get confused with reduction and oxidation
booklover1313
Badges: 20
Rep:
Report 9 months ago
(Original post by TrishaChou1)
yess i have but i always get confused with reduction and oxidation
Oxidation is loss of electrons, and reduction is the gaining of electrons. So going from Al3+ to Al involves the addition of 3 electrons, and hence it is reduced
tomedward
Badges: 9
Rep:
Report 9 months ago
It should be reduction as the Al3+ is gaining electrons to become Al(s). Remember OIL RIG. Oxidation is loss of electrons, reduction is gain
X

Quick Reply

Attached files
Write a reply...
Back
to top
Latest

Do you know what you'll do if you don't get the grades you're hoping for?

Find something else in clearing (18)
30.51%
Take a gap year (14)
23.73%
Resit my exams (9)
15.25%
Look for alternate pathways to the career I want (8)
13.56%
I don't know yet (7)
11.86%
Something else (tell us in the thread) (3)
5.08%

Watched Threads