blackmangotree
Badges: 11
Rep:
? You'll earn badges for being active around the site. Rep gems come when your posts are rated by other community members.
Report Thread starter 2 months ago
How can using tap water instead of distilled water in an osmosis experiment affect the rate of osmosis?

Any help is much appreciated!!
hungrysalamander
Badges: 19
Rep:
? You'll earn badges for being active around the site. Rep gems come when your posts are rated by other community members.
Report 2 months ago
Tap water has impurities such as minerals which can decrease water potential wheras distilled water pure and has a water potential of 0. This will affect the rate of osmosis as there would be a smaller water potential gradient with tap water.
blackmangotree
Rep:
(Original post by hungrysalamander)
Tap water has impurities such as minerals which can decrease water potential wheras distilled water pure and has a water potential of 0. This will affect the rate of osmosis as there would be a smaller water potential gradient with tap water.
wait how does pure water have a water potential of 0? Surely if its pure water it is highly concentrated with water so should have a high water potential?
hungrysalamander
Rep:
Report 2 months ago
(Original post by blackmangotree)
wait how does pure water have a water potential of 0? Surely if its pure water it is highly concentrated with water so should have a high water potential?
The highest water potential is 0, anything with solutes has - water potential
blackmangotree
Rep:
oooh right thank youuuu
blackmangotree
Rep:
also i am doing an evaluation on a potato tuber osmosis experiment with sucrose solution. Why is it important that all of the potato tuber is covered in the sucrose solution?
hungrysalamander
Rep:
Report 2 months ago
(Original post by blackmangotree)
also i am doing an evaluation on a potato tuber osmosis experiment with sucrose solution. Why is it important that all of the potato tuber is covered in the sucrose solution?
The part of the potato not covered in sucrose solution will not experience any osmosis.
X

Quick Reply

Attached files
Write a reply...
Back
to top
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

When did you submit your Ucas application if you applied to go to university this year?

September 2021 (12)
6%
October 2021 (97)
48.5%
November 2021 (20)
10%
December 2021 (30)
15%
January 2021 (16)
8%
I still haven't submitted it yet! (20)
10%