cjunhui05
Badges: 9
Rep:
? You'll earn badges for being active around the site. Rep gems come when your posts are rated by other community members.
Report Thread starter 2 months ago
King's College London Mathematics School:
Has anyone applied here?
What will your commute times be?
AS Economics or AS Computer Science?
What are the other students or teachers like here?
What will school life here be like?
What do you use to revise for the entrance exam?
What are your predicted grades?
Have you applied anywhere else?
Thanks in advance.
Pbxxx
Badges: 7
Rep:
? You'll earn badges for being active around the site. Rep gems come when your posts are rated by other community members.
Report 2 months ago
What will your commute times be? it would take me around 40 minutes ( I live in nwl)
AS Economics or AS Computer Science? economics
What are the other students or teachers like here? idk but I do the enrichment and it's okay ig
What will school life here be like? idk but I'm going to the taster day
What do you use to revise for the entrance exam? they have an exam paper on their website i also do maths genie
What are your predicted grades? 9 in maths and 8 in physics the rest: 9,8,8,7,8,7,6,5
Have you applied anywhere else? yes st Marylebone, Henrietta Barnet, and Camden Girls

have you applied for the taster day?
cjunhui05
Badges: 9
Rep:
Report Thread starter 2 months ago
Mine would be 1 hour and 45 mins but I don't think I could survive 2 years commuting there and back every day and I haven't applied for the taster day yet. Does anyone else have similar commute times to me?
gapb
Badges: 14
Rep:
Report 2 months ago
(Original post by cjunhui05)
King's College London Mathematics School:
Has anyone applied here?
What will your commute times be?
AS Economics or AS Computer Science?
What are the other students or teachers like here?
What will school life here be like?
What do you use to revise for the entrance exam?
What are your predicted grades?
Have you applied anywhere else?
Thanks in advance.
Hi! I have applied for 2022 entry, my commute would be 40-50 mins, I have selected AS Ecomonics, however i am open to either Ecom or CS, I may end up doing alevel CS as a private candidate later since my mum wants me to.

I plan on using specimen papers and SMC past papers to revise hwoever i have heard that the test is 10X harder than the specimen paper!
My current predicted grades:
9 in: maths, physics, CS, biology and engineering.
8 in Chemistry
7 in german, eng lit, eng lang, rpe.
I'm also doing a level 3 FSMQ.

I've applied to nearby secondary schools: Olaves and Newstead.

what about you?!
gapb
Rep:
Report 2 months ago
also is anybody else going to the taster day on saturday?
gaathu
Badges: 4
Rep:
Report 2 months ago
(Original post by gapb)
also is anybody else going to the taster day on saturday?
not yet received an invitation for taster day. Have u got the invitation? received an email that the HM will contact with further information.
gapb
Rep:
Report 2 months ago
(Original post by gaathu)
not yet received an invitation for taster day. Have u got the invitation? received an email that the HM will contact with further information.
yes i received an invite with the time i need to attend.
gapb
Rep:
Report 2 months ago
(Original post by gaathu)
you should have confirmation by now, they said they would say by tuesday.
eimov.hirano
Badges: 11
Rep:
Report 2 months ago
I applied for KCLMS 2 years ago and I got an offer but chose not to go. if you have any questions about the exam or interview I can answer
gapb
Rep:
Report 2 months ago
(Original post by eimov.hirano)
I applied for KCLMS 2 years ago and I got an offer but chose not to go. if you have any questions about the exam or interview I can answer
Oh hey! How did you prepare for the exam, and after the exam, how would you say the best way to prepare for it is? Also how many people would you roughly say were doing the test with you? Does the exam target more logical thinking approach rather than content and formulae? And if you don't mind, why did you choose not to go?
eimov.hirano
Rep:
Report 2 months ago
(Original post by gapb)
Oh hey! How did you prepare for the exam, and after the exam, how would you say the best way to prepare for it is? Also how many people would you roughly say were doing the test with you? Does the exam target more logical thinking approach rather than content and formulae? And if you don't mind, why did you choose not to go?
to answer your questions:
funnily enough I didn't do much preparation for the exam. I did the specimen paper on the kclms website (although the actual exam I did was quite different to it). I recommend doing ukmt problems that should prep you well. in the exam hall with me which was at kcl therr were about 200 (more or less) but I know 700 people took the exam that year (some in the morning, some in the afternoon). in my year around 140 of the 700 got invited to interviews and around 70 people got offers (and more got put on the waiting list because obvs quite a few ppl reject offers).
the exam itself focuses more on logical problem solving hence why I recommended doing ukmt questions. but make sure you know basic formulae such as volumes, intertior + exterior angles etc....
as for myself, I chose not to go for several reasons. one of them was it being far for travel (1.5 hours on the underground each way, that's 3 hours a day wasted on commuting which isn't worth it in my opinion). this turned out to be a smart choice (because of the pandemic). another reason is it being quite small and in my opinion not as special as it seems. sure it is a great school with many intelligent people but for me it was better to choose to go to a regular school. I think the school you go to can only help you so much! the grades you get at A level will be based on how much you yourself yourself and not the school you to go to. as long as you go to a decent school you will be fine as long as you put in the work which you will have to do anyway . also kclms is super small and (no offence to students there) it is just better socially at a regular school, there is a greater variety of people and the standard of mathematicians is as good as at kclms in my current maths class! kclms is extremely selective and they want to provide opportunities to less represented backgrounds of people in maths but they reject many many very talented and just as deserving people. remember it is not bad if you get rejected! they just tend to be very
picky with the people they choose for offers, some of my friends who are better than me in maths didn't even make it to the interview. everyone I know (except for one person) who got an offer rejected it and all of them said they are happy at their school rn! and by the way that one person said themselves that it would be better at a normal school. don't get me wrong, kclms is great but don't beat yourself up over the exam just do some light revision and good luck !
codddy
Badges: 2
Rep:
Report 2 months ago
Hello! I’m a current year 12 at KCLMS - I’m happy to answer any questions you might have about the school
gapb
Rep:
Report 2 months ago
(Original post by codddy)
Hello! I’m a current year 12 at KCLMS - I’m happy to answer any questions you might have about the school
Hi! I’m wondering how long and when break and lunch time is. Also do u get any free periods or are u allowed to go out of the school building for lunch?
thanks
codddy
Rep:
Report 2 months ago
(Original post by gapb)
Hi! I’m wondering how long and when break and lunch time is. Also do u get any free periods or are u allowed to go out of the school building for lunch?
thanks
Break is normally from 11:10 to 11:30 and lunch is from 13:15 to 14:15, and there are 4 free periods per week (each period is 50 minutes). We’re allowed to leave school at lunch but not at break or in frees
gapb
Rep:
Report 2 months ago
(Original post by codddy)
Break is normally from 11:10 to 11:30 and lunch is from 13:15 to 14:15, and there are 4 free periods per week (each period is 50 minutes). We’re allowed to leave school at lunch but not at break or in frees
that’s nice to know, thank u
Snoyw
Rep:
Report 2 months ago
anyone going taster day tmrow?
if so morning or afternoon?
SnowyPanda
Badges: 5
Rep:
Report 1 month ago
Are you guys prepared for the admissions test on Saturday. I am extremely nervous because I really want to go to KCLMS for sixth form but despite me revising heavily and finishing the whole of GCSE maths content, and some of GCSE further maths, the difficulty of the test can be unpredictable, and I also did bits of IMC past papers each on the last few questions. I hope the test isn't as hard as the maclaurin or the hamilton olympiad, as I can never be sure whether I'll do well or not
eimov.hirano
Rep:
Report 1 month ago
honestly don't overprepare the test isn't that bad
HowlWater
Badges: 1
Rep:
Report 1 month ago
(Original post by eimov.hirano)
honestly don't overprepare the test isn't that bad
when you did it, was it easier than the specimen paper on their website?
eimov.hirano
Rep:
Report 1 month ago
(Original post by HowlWater)
when you did it, was it easier than the specimen paper on their website?
I'd say it was more difficult but personally I didn't find it as hard as I was expecting it to be. it's mainly ukmt type questions (problem solving)
X

Quick Reply

Attached files
Write a reply...
Back
to top
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

What is your favourite revision method?

Taking notes manually (50)
23.36%
Note taking apps (5)
2.34%
Flashcards (40)
18.69%
Revision guides (11)
5.14%
Past papers (101)
47.2%
Something else (let us know in the thread) (7)
3.27%

Watched Threads

Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise