Self Studying

Watch this thread
14jessoppa
Badges: 12
Rep:
? You'll earn badges for being active around the site. Rep gems come when your posts are rated by other community members.
Report Thread starter 6 months ago
Hiya, I’m currently trying to self study 3 A Levels this year, so I can go to uni in September. I’ll need BCC, and the course I want to do is Economics and Politics.

I’ve already decided on Maths and Politics, but am not sure on my third. I’d prefer to do French as its something I enjoy and am good at, but other possibilities would be Psychology or Economics.

Anyone have any suggestions/ways to self study? I only need a C, as I’m confident I can get at least an A in Maths. And is it actually possible to self study French? Is there coursework etc?
dreamer_ms
Badges: 8
Rep:
? You'll earn badges for being active around the site. Rep gems come when your posts are rated by other community members.
Report 6 months ago
Hellooo!!

I am homeschooled but I hope I can be of some use!
To be honest, I don't think Psychology could be of much use in your degree and I suggest you go for an easier (content-wise) and enjoyable option. I am doing French A-Levels this year and (without being too biased) would recommend you do French!

I assume you would have already done so at GCSEs. The content doesn't seem to be very different, you just have to adapt to the up-leveled grammar. I recommend you buy a grammar book and check out many YouTube videos! Use www.languagesonline.org for help.
The only trouble is that there is a speaking component, so make sure you have someone to practice with and, of course, a centre that will take you in as an external candidate.

In the year 13 exams you have a literature component (which differs from one exam board to the other). It's only a matter of if you can get access to the pieces of literature they ask (sometimes they ask for movies which you could find most of on YouTube). But please don't be discouraged! It will be so much fun!!

Best of luck!!!
14jessoppa
Badges: 12
Rep:
Report Thread starter 6 months ago
(Original post by dreamer_ms)
Hellooo!!

I am homeschooled but I hope I can be of some use!
To be honest, I don't think Psychology could be of much use in your degree and I suggest you go for an easier (content-wise) and enjoyable option. I am doing French A-Levels this year and (without being too biased) would recommend you do French!

I assume you would have already done so at GCSEs. The content doesn't seem to be very different, you just have to adapt to the up-leveled grammar. I recommend you buy a grammar book and check out many YouTube videos! Use www.languagesonline.org for help.
The only trouble is that there is a speaking component, so make sure you have someone to practice with and, of course, a centre that will take you in as an external candidate.

In the year 13 exams you have a literature component (which differs from one exam board to the other). It's only a matter of if you can get access to the pieces of literature they ask (sometimes they ask for movies which you could find most of on YouTube). But please don't be discouraged! It will be so much fun!!

Best of luck!!!
that’s great, tysm for your reply! I did French at GCSE and got a 7 even though I didn’t do my speaking exam due to a panic attack ahaha, so I think I’ll find it alright.

Good luck yourself though, am sure we’ll both do amazing!!
chelsearose0504
Badges: 1
Rep:
Report 6 months ago
Does anyone have the module 6 French Edexcel assessment pack questions
?
X

Quick Reply

Attached files
Write a reply...
Back
to top
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

How did your AQA GCSE English Language Paper 1 go?

Loved the paper - Feeling positive (93)
20.09%
The paper was reasonable (177)
38.23%
Not feeling great about that exam... (119)
25.7%
It was TERRIBLE (74)
15.98%

Watched Threads