meli77
Badges: 15
Rep:
? You'll earn badges for being active around the site. Rep gems come when your posts are rated by other community members.
Report Thread starter 2 months ago
Hi guys,

Can someone pls give me some feedback on this paragraph? It is my very first time attempting a question like this.

To what extent is Modern Liberalism similar to Classical Liberalism

Both classical and modern liberals believe that each individual is unique, independent and rational therefore individualism is an aspect central to both. Although they disagree on how to promote it, they regard individualism as the essential feature of politics and society and regard the claims of social groups and collective bodies as less important. For example, classical liberal John Stuart Mill believed in the ‘harm principle’ where he asserted that individuals should be free to do anything except harm other people. This suggests that individuals should be left to govern themselves when it concerns self regarding actions (affecting only the person undertaking the action). This was also outlined in his book ‘On Liberty’ which later became known as ‘negative freedom’ (absence of restraint on an individual). Similarly, modern liberal Betty Friedan argued that women had been restricted and prevented from being as free as men as they were trapped inside societal expectations which was the primary reason for their underachievement, therefore undermining the concept of individualism, hence liberalism. This links to the theme of society where women were expected to fulfil domestic roles rather than pursue careers which restricted their opportunity of becoming more independent and self-reliant. Thus, even though classical liberals believe in negative liberty and modern liberals, like Betty Friedan, believe in positive liberty, the notion of individual freedom is predominant in both.
Napp
Badges: 22
Rep:
? You'll earn badges for being active around the site. Rep gems come when your posts are rated by other community members.
Report 2 months ago
Try posting this in the study help section, you might get some more/better responses?
Suffice it to say, the paragraph seems fine albeit bereft of any references (i assume you're meant to reference at alevel still?). I am mildly curious though, what form of modern liberalism is supposed to be discussed here? The British or American iterations? After all, 'liberalism' in the american sense is nothing like what the average British person, well politically versed anyway, would understand the word to mean.
meli77
Badges: 15
Rep:
Report Thread starter 2 months ago
(Original post by Napp)
Try posting this in the study help section, you might get some more/better responses?
Suffice it to say, the paragraph seems fine albeit bereft of any references (i assume you're meant to reference at alevel still?). I am mildly curious though, what form of modern liberalism is supposed to be discussed here? The British or American iterations? After all, 'liberalism' in the american sense is nothing like what the average British person, well politically versed anyway, would understand the word to mean.
I just noticed I posted this in the wrong forum. Yes in A Level you have to mention at least two key thinkers in a paragraph. And this is British Lib
X

Quick Reply

Attached files
Write a reply...
Back
to top
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

Have you ever considered or are you currently considering an apprenticeship?

Yes, I am actively considering an apprenticeship (66)
12.24%
I am actively considering an alternative to uni that isn't an apprenticeship (9)
1.67%
I have considered an apprenticeship but it's not for me (141)
26.16%
I am considering a degree apprenticeship (44)
8.16%
I haven't considered an apprenticeship (261)
48.42%
Something else (let us know in the thread!) (18)
3.34%

Watched Threads