ajfcb10911
Badges: 3
Rep:
? You'll earn badges for being active around the site. Rep gems come when your posts are rated by other community members.
Report Thread starter 1 month ago
The deadline for applying for a particular Maths PGCE is next week and up to this point I have little teaching experience within a school. Do I even stand a chance at being accepted?

If I was to get some experience, should I try some get experience teaching by working in a primary school or is it better to get experience in secondary school?
Last edited by ajfcb10911; 1 month ago
bluebeetle
Badges: 18
Rep:
? You'll earn badges for being active around the site. Rep gems come when your posts are rated by other community members.
Report 1 month ago
(Original post by ajfcb10911)
The deadline for applying for a particular Maths PGCE is next week and up to this point I have no teaching experience within a school.

Some things I have done instead are:

- working as the university, marking undergraduate maths homeworks
- completed Gold DofE
- volunteering at maths HW club when in secondary school (But I think this is scraping the barrel)

Do I even stand a chance at being accepted?

If I was to get some experience, should I try some get experience teaching by working in a primary school or is it better to get experience in secondary school.

I know I should have been more prepared but I didn’t realise the deadline was so soon and I was busy with my current job.
Is this a September-start course? It’s weird for the deadline to be so early!

For maths, you do probably still have a chance of being accepted, but I would be more concerned about the lack of experience for your own sake. In a typical PGCE, you’ll spent several weeks at uni before stepping into a school for the first time. What if after a few days in school, you realise it’s not for you? It’s tough to drop out at that point because you’re already committed.
SarcAndSpark
Badges: 20
Rep:
Report 1 month ago
The deadline for applying for a particular Maths PGCE is next week and up to this point I have no teaching experience within a school.

- completed Gold DofE
- volunteering at maths HW club when in secondary school (But I think this is scraping the barrel)

If I was to get some experience, should I try some get experience teaching by working in a primary school or is it better to get experience in secondary school.

I know I should have been more prepared but I didn’t realise the deadline was so soon and I was busy with my current job.
Why is the deadline next week? That is very unusual.

Most Maths PGCEs won't need experience, but given the unusual deadline, it's hard to comment.

Are you willing to share the course?
Muttley79
Rep:
Report 1 month ago

- completed Gold DofE

D of E isn't relevant ... why not get in a classroom now and apply later? I think the last you list is actually your strongest ... it worries me that you think that's 'scraping the barrel'
ajfcb10911
Rep:
(Original post by bluebeetle)
Is this a September-start course? It’s weird for the deadline to be so early!

For maths, you do probably still have a chance of being accepted, but I would be more concerned about the lack of experience for your own sake. In a typical PGCE, you’ll spent several weeks at uni before stepping into a school for the first time. What if after a few days in school, you realise it’s not for you? It’s tough to drop out at that point because you’re already committed.
Yes September start
ajfcb10911
Rep:
(Original post by Muttley79)
D of E isn't relevant ... why not get in a classroom now and apply later? I think the last you list is actually your strongest ... it worries me that you think that's 'scraping the barrel'
Do you mean apply next year or apply late? Why is that worrying? It just seems so long ago.
ajfcb10911
Rep:
(Original post by SarcAndSpark)
Why is the deadline next week? That is very unusual.

Most Maths PGCEs won't need experience, but given the unusual deadline, it's hard to comment.

Are you willing to share the course?
This is Northern Ireland which is why deadline next week.
Muttley79
Rep:
Report 1 month ago
Do you mean apply next year or apply late? Why is that worrying? It just seems so long ago.
You did not say N Ireland - actually working with children is good experience - marking isn't.

Is there a reason why you haven't got into a school to help?
ajfcb10911
Rep:
(Original post by Muttley79)
You did not say N Ireland - actually working with children is good experience - marking isn't.

Is there a reason why you haven't got into a school to help?
Sorry, perhaps I should have specified that. I would say I haven’t really had an opportunity to work in a school. I only just graduated in July and have been working full-time in research since then.
SarcAndSpark
Rep:
Report 1 month ago
Sorry, perhaps I should have specified that. I would say I haven’t really had an opportunity to work in a school. I only just graduated in July and have been working full-time in research since then.
You would have had the opportunity to gain some experience before you graduated. You could have also taken some holiday from work to gain experience.

That said, I would just apply, and see what happens- you've got nothing to lose.
Mr M
Rep:
Report 4 weeks ago
The deadline for applying for a particular Maths PGCE is next week and up to this point I have little teaching experience within a school. Do I even stand a chance at being accepted?

If I was to get some experience, should I try some get experience teaching by working in a primary school or is it better to get experience in secondary school?
As others have said, it would be good for you to spend some time in a secondary school to see if it suits you. You can't rely on your memories of the time you were a student! The trouble is it may be difficult for you to get in to a school right now because of Covid. In my county, for example, you would not be permitted due to enhanced pandemic safety measures as your presence would not be deemed 'essential'.

There is a huge shortage of applicants for secondary mathematics PGCEs so your application will be warmly welcomed regardless of your level of experience.
ajfcb10911
Rep:
Report Thread starter 4 weeks ago
(Original post by Mr M)
As others have said, it would be good for you to spend some time in a secondary school to see if it suits you. You can't rely on your memories of the time you were a student! The trouble is it may be difficult for you to get in to a school right now because of Covid. In my county, for example, you would not be permitted due to enhanced pandemic safety measures as your presence would not be deemed 'essential'.

There is a huge shortage of applicants for secondary mathematics PGCEs so your application will be warmly welcomed regardless of your level of experience.
Thank you. This is good to hear : )
X

Quick Reply

Attached files
Write a reply...
Back
to top
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

How would you describe the quality of the digital skills you're taught at school?

Excellent (37)
9.61%
Okay (112)
29.09%
A bit lacking (145)
37.66%
Not good at all (91)
23.64%

Watched Threads